Simmer down a 250? (two stroke)

Long read below-can skip to the bottom

New guy here, and a new rider to moto. I got a CR250 last summer after i blew out my ACL riding downhill. There is a small "kids" track by my house that i ride it at and it was all fun. This year after having my knee fixed, i am trying to spend more time riding moto-and most recently started taking it to real tracks. (im local to Englishtown in NJ) The bike is a 2003 CR250 with some mods but nothing crazy-it was tuned and ridden mostly at southwick (and rides like such)

The backstory is that I had no dirtbike expierience prior to buying my dirtbike. I youtube'd how to ride a dirtbike, and then went up to massachusets and purchased it-and rode it for the first time in the kids backyard. (i was shitting my pants as i putted around in 1st gear) I kept learning it on the streets by my house and eventually kinda got the hang of it. I have a pretty good idea on what to do, and how to do it for most of what I am trying to do. (I cant though)

I feel that it is relevant to the discussion to note that I am a professional Downhill racer, and I travel the entire USA racing my bike-so I am not hopeless for learning how to ride a dirtbike. Although I do think i may have bitten off more than i can chew. So far I can jump it very well (30-40 foot tables) I can level it out in the air with the gas/brakes (usually stall it with the brake though) I can ride it decently on flat ground.

My big problem is that I cannot control the damn bike when it decides to wake up. If i stand up i almost always whiskey throttle and it ends in 1 of 3 scenarios. I get lucky and it runs out of power and i can get back on the front, it loops out and i fall on my ass, or i catch it early enough and pound the rear brake. (stall and fall)

This event happens in all of the following situations. landing most jumps when i need to hold the bars tighter, any whoopset or roller set, "rythem sections" and 2 opposite corners in a row. I know it will happen, i try to avoid it-but i cannot handle the kick of this bike. As you can imagine, after landing a jump into a corner, the last thing you want is the bike redlined trying to go faster.

I was hoping somebody on here would have any advice-even if unconventional, on how to calm the bike down and make it more managable-the speed and air doesnt bother me, and the sliding corners doesnt either, but what i cannot get over is how the bike wants to ride wide open all the time, and i cannot just grab a fist full into all these sections with my current skill level. My idea was if i could get a thumb throttle like a utility quad, so i could still hold the bars and just move my thumb (easy to avoid whiskey throttle) or if there was a way to tune it down. Ideally i would have a 4 stroke but the dirtbike i got was the result of a series of events that worked financially with a DH for moto trade-so I did not have a choice.

If this was too long for you-basically can you cut the balls off of a 250 2 stroke?

p4pb9681848.jpg

Nice looking bike!!

I'm not gonna get into downgrades you can make to tame it cause I don't think it would be worth it.

You said that you didn't go to a four stroke because of the deal you had to make but now that you have a bike it is prob a possibility. If that's the route you want to take im sure you can find someone who would trade their 4 for your 2.

Possibly a 125?

I personally would keep it and learn to tame the beast. Grow into it and before you know it you'll be rootin

you may be over gripping the bike, grab the trottle at a different position so you are not struggling to close the throttle whenever things get sketchy, also remember you can pull the clutch and the power goes away.

A flywheel weight would be an easy cheap try/fix.

Maybe a recluse clutch would tame it down too.

Another option that may sound a little crazy, but works for me, is to stay "on the pipe" so there is no pipe for it to get on again.

Works well, but is very fast, but I only ride Mx though. 

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

FWW will help tame the power delivery, as well as, installing a slightly richer needle in the carb.

That is a really nice looking bike.

Unfortunately you chose a pure bred race horse to learn to ride on so it's not going to be easy but you can do it. The motor was designed to have explosive power for serious MX racing so de-tuning it may not be so easy.

I would try the flywheel weight as mentioned above. Also there are replacement throttle tubes that decrease the rate of pull on the cable for a smoother throttle response I'm just not sure who makes one for your bike.

Learn to abuse the clutch, and mess with the jetting

Just get a rekluse!

cr250 is horrible for what you are trying to fix, they have light switch motors, as the rpm builds, no power no power, than all the power at once, than no power. I raced my 2002 cr250 for years putting up with the lame motor becuase i didnt know any better or how to fix it back than.

solution in order of importance

• pwk 38mm carb from 1999-2000 cr250, the stock carb is garbage, dont let anyone tell you otherwise
  • 2005-07 cylinder base gasket, its thinner lowers cylinder/ports smooths out power by changing the port timing
  • squish test, send head to rb designs have it set up for pump fuel, the stock head is a poor design, it will run smoother and be easier to ride www.rb-designs.com
  • heaviest fly wheel weight you can get, slows the motor down helps traction and rideability
  • check rc valve for proper operation as per manuals instructions (get a honda manual if you dont have one already)
  • steel clutch kit, again heavier and helps tame the motor down

The rb head work is great, you can do the cylinder gasket and it lowers the head closer to the piston fixing the large stock squish, but at the same time it raises compression slightly. Depending on your elevation of where you live and the quality of the gas you can use. it might detonate on pump fuel. Reason i suggest the rb head mod no matter what is because his head work is best i have ever seen. Having it setup for pump fuel means the compression is low enough it softens the mid range punch making it easier to ride.

Do any (all if you can) of these and you will have a completely different motor that is fast, friendly and inspires confidence.

this is the single best buy to fix that motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keihin-PWK-38mm-Airstriker-carb-Honda-CR250-01-07-/231184924175?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d3b1fe0f&vxp=mtr

Edited by adam8781

wrong bike to learn on.

you could use flywheel weight and run it rich.

Alot of useless replies here, theres alot that can be done to make the bike friendly, anyone who has ridden all the 250 2 strokes back in those days knows the cr250 is horrible off the showroom floor.

great looking cr250 btw, i wish i knew how to fix my 02 when i had it, i ditched it for a 05 rm250 and never looked back. I didnt realize how bad the motor was till i rode the rm250.

4saleagain003.jpg

Edited by adam8781

there are some that will sugar coat the cr250. but its motor was just too harsh for most riders and it needed work to perform allround.

cr250 is horrible for what you are trying to fix, they have light switch motors, as the rpm builds, no power no power, than all the power at once, than no power. I raced my 2002 cr250 for years putting up with the lame motor becuase i didnt know any better or how to fix it back than.

solution in order of importance

• pwk 38mm carb from 1999-2000 cr250, the stock carb is garbage, dont let anyone tell you otherwise
  • 2005-07 cylinder base gasket, its thinner lowers cylinder/ports smooths out power by changing the port timing
  • squish test, send head to rb designs have it set up for pump fuel, the stock head is a poor design, it will run smoother and be easier to ride www.rb-designs.com
  • heaviest fly wheel weight you can get, slows the motor down helps traction and rideability
  • check rc valve for proper operation as per manuals instructions (get a honda manual if you dont have one already)
  • steel clutch kit, again heavier and helps tame the motor down

The rb head work is great, you can do the cylinder gasket and it lowers the head closer to the piston fixing the large stock squish, but at the same time it raises compression slightly. Depending on your elevation of where you live and the quality of the gas you can use. it might detonate on pump fuel. Reason i suggest the rb head mod no matter what is because his head work is best i have ever seen. Having it setup for pump fuel means the compression is low enough it softens the mid range punch making it easier to ride.

Do any (all if you can) of these and you will have a completely different motor that is fast, friendly and inspires confidence.

this is the single best buy to fix that motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keihin-PWK-38mm-Airstriker-carb-Honda-CR250-01-07-/231184924175?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d3b1fe0f&vxp=mtr

Best post I have seen all day.

Best post I have seen all day.

yeah but damn. you have to do all that just to get it to perform like every other brand?

what a fkn hastle... id rath buy a yam and spend that money on suspension.

or just buy a ktm ;).

Edited by thestuz

Wow, I can't believe some of the advice you are getting here, but the solution is really simple.  The bike you now own is a fantastic motorcycle, but trying to learn to track ride on it is like trying to learn to drive in an F1 car.

Sure, you can neuter your bike, but it's going to cost time and money.

What you need, plain and simple, is a 125.  Your bike looks great and is worth a lot of money.  Sell it, and buy yourself a nice 125 (a stock one--not one that somebody has slapped on a bunch of parts that don't work together).  A 125 is a great bike for an athletic person with related skills (e.g., you!) to learn on, and they are super cheap to operate and maintain.  Don't let people tell you either that a 125 is a kids bike.  I'm 52 now and I ride with several other over 50 guys on 125s.  Sure, we all have bigger bikes, but 125s keep your skills sharp, and they are just simply more fun to ride than any other bike.

PS- I don't know about your finances, but if you can afford it, buy a 125 and prep that beautiful cr 250r for storage.  You'll love riding it after learning about clutching and two stroke motor characteristics on a 125.

You can detune it by doing homegrown porting, just do a crappy job at it and wall ah, no power!

Saving some money for a 125 might not be a bad idea. Coming from a mountain bike background I feel you would even prefer the 125. It is a very light bike that loves to be thrown around in ways you would throw a mountain bike around. That gets a little tough on the bigger motor bikes.

Alot of useless replies here, theres alot that can be done to make the bike friendly, anyone who has ridden all the 250 2 strokes back in those days knows the cr250 is horrible off the showroom floor.

great looking cr250 btw, i wish i knew how to fix my 02 when i had it, i ditched it for a 05 rm250 and never looked back. I didnt realize how bad the motor was till i rode the rm250.

4saleagain003.jpg

That was a nice looking bike you had there adam8781.

You don't need to "cut its balls off", you just need top learn how to grip with your legs so you can use your arms and hands to control the bike instead of using them to hang on.

You don't need to "cut its balls off", you just need top learn how to grip with your legs so you can use your arms and hands to control the bike instead of using them to hang on.

Exactly what I was thinkin...learn to grip w/ your legs.