Sign in to follow this  

Carb problem..fuel leak

So I removed the carb, installed the new o-ring, clean pilot and main, as well as the bowl. Put everything together, bike started and ran perfect. But as I was putting my things away I noticed fuel dripping out the overflow tube by the right frame. What could I have done...??? The only thing I can think is the float is screwed ? The bike starts and idles beautifully. Need some assistance badly.

It's usually the float valve itself.  A little piece of crud can prevent it from closing.  Sometimes you can get it clean by just draining the carb bowl and then turning the gas on.  The surge of fuel can dislodge whatever is causing the issue.  If that doesn't work you might have to open it up again.  Looks at the valve and seat carefully.  The tiniest imperfection can cause the valve to seep fuel when it should be closed.  Use a q-tip or twisted paper towel and spin it in the seat.

The valve is a wear item and sometimes it needs replacement.

It's usually the float valve itself. A little piece of crud can prevent it from closing. Sometimes you can get it clean by just draining the carb bowl and then turning the gas on. The surge of fuel can dislodge whatever is causing the issue. If that doesn't work you might have to open it up again. Looks at the valve and seat carefully. The tiniest imperfection can cause the valve to seep fuel when it should be closed. Use a q-tip or twisted paper towel and spin it in the seat.

The valve is a wear item and sometimes it needs replacement.

Thanks for that reply...I will try draining the bowl. I did replace that pin that holds the float in place with a piece of copper wire...but did that last summer when I did Dave's mods...it seemed to work well. And since I saw no pin there it was obviously in need.

It could be the float level as well.

ME

how do you adjust the level? It just pivot on that pin. So the float should perhaps be lower so the gas volume pushes the valve closed firmly?? I have never fooled with float adjustment before.

On the XRL the float isn`t adjustable if that`s what you are workin on????????

As Cleonard said..open the drain screw with the tank petcock off.....then open the tank petcock while smacking the carb with a stick or screwdriver handle,,that usually dislodges the dirt and flushes it out the drain hose..

B

That did the trick...I love screw driver bangin' solutions!! That was slick...thanks guys!! I am off for a ride!

On the XRL the float isn`t adjustable if that`s what you are workin on????????

As Cleonard said..open the drain screw with the tank petcock off.....then open the tank petcock while smacking the carb with a stick or screwdriver handle,,that usually dislodges the dirt and flushes it out the drain hose..

B

Tis amazing..I've been trying to ascertain what bike he actually owns for over a week..I still have no idea.. :facepalm:

Forget the previous post..connection problem led to deletion..

Edited by Horri

oh FFS.............doc..put your year and model in your signature line will ya..Horri is gonna pop a vein in his head if you don`t... :devil:

B

oh FFS.............doc..put your year and model in your signature line will ya..Horri is gonna pop a vein in his head if you don`t... :devil:

B

Easy does it..I'm poppin no veins,,,After the amount of hints I've given and instructions how to post your bike in your signature

I'd have expected some action by now.. :banghead:....The words 650L,,, 600R ,,650R are not difficult to type even on a phone which he uses to post from...

Edited by Horri

Watch out guys, he has thin skin, piss him off and hell call you a moron!

apparently it range true to you...