I've been looking for a dual sport motorcycle for a little while, reading reviews and browsing forums to pass the time during the winter months.  Long story short, I recently acquired a lightly used 2013 with very few kilometers.  There's a good thing about getting a new bike at this time of the year...... time for mods before the season starts!! 

First off was heated grips, which turned into heated grips, new grips, and hand guards......

IMG_1841_zps8b8ebf30.jpg

I decided on the Barkbuster VPS backbone with Storm Guards, pillowtop grips, and some aerostich heated grips kit i had already.  Sorry no pics of the installation.

I found the info here quite useful for the relay wiring.  

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

I wired the relay switch wire to the rear light so the grips are only on with the ignition.

IMG_1930_zpsb0687d01.jpg

No clearance issues with the Barbusters (stock bars), although had to remove some of the cable ties.

IMG_1929_zps5ac31bbf.jpg

IMG_1931_zps979d08c1.jpg

More to come........

• Like 8

Next on the list was a power source for GPS. I had a spare powerlet outlet, and a weatherproof outlet,  and after some head scratching where to mount them, came up with this.  The toggle switch is for the Hi-Lo for the heated grips.

IMG_1904_zps0956d893.jpg

Made it from some 1/8" Sintra which i cut from this template:

crf250loutletplate_zpsc130d35f.jpg

With a heat gun, bent at approx the dark grey lines.  Then removed the 3 mounting screws on the speedo, the 2 holes are big enough for the plastic bosses on the speedo to fit through.

looks like this:

IMG_1902_zpsbd9eca50.jpg

It's a little tight for space, and had to trim a little here and there.  Eventually might make it from aluminium, but I'll test this one out first.

• Like 1

Your next mod should be a 13tooth front sprocket, cheapest and best bang to buck you will do.  Free up the engine as it's way over geared and somehow your top speed will increase as well :excuseme:  - most people go with a 42 tooth rear then to take up the slack in the chain.

• Like 3

Your next mod should be a 13tooth front sprocket, cheapest and best bang to buck you will do.  Free up the engine as it's way over geared and somehow your top speed will increase as well :excuseme:  - most people go with a 42 tooth rear then to take up the slack in the chain.

I think your right ! I've read some good things on here about that! I think I'll get the parts ordered but put a few more Kms on before the switch, haven't been able to ride much lately, got to wait for the snow and ice to go !!

• Like 1

Next on the list is to tackle the luggage rack, I had some tubing bent for the purpose, approx 14" x 10" (.75" dia) with a 3" rad in the corners.  Hoping to make a mount for my Givi E21's for commuting, and could double as a rack for soft saddlebags too.

I'm planning to mount the bracket to the 2 side bolts on the frame, and the foot-peg mounting spot.  I may run and extra tube round the back from side to side.

IMG_1941_zpsce06e1cb.jpg

• Like 3

Spent some time this weekend on fabricating my new rack!!  It's not finished yet, just work in progress.

The welding still has to be completed,  just got it tacked together today.  Here's some shots

IMG_1971_zps693d30e8.jpg

Left side rack is slightly closer to center then the right side due to the exhaust.

IMG_1966_zps020ed646.jpg

IMG_1980_zpse5cb9a23.jpg

Still have to add the mounts for my luggage, and some strap loops, but  I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I found this website really helpful for the coped joints.  It enables you to cut a paper template and trace it onto the tube, it was really helpful.  Most of the bends (except the 4 corners) are done with a conduit bender, so not too many fancy tools needed. :thumbsup:

• Like 7

Nice work! Keep the progress updates coming please.   :applause:

Thanks Romy, I'll post some more pictures when i get it welded up.

The rack is finally starting to take shape, got some welding done, now have to clean up the welds.

Photo2014-04-06123122PM_zps6b13cf59.jpg

Photo2014-04-06123132PM_zpscb26cab0.jpg

Photo2014-04-06123248PM_zpsfbde6735.jpg

• Like 2

Also got a new spiral seat pan from Seat Concepts for a future project.

Photo2014-04-0762333PM_zps3eda919b.jpg

The plan is to shape some new foam for this pan and get a new cover make too, but that's for later on....

I'm actually surprised on how "comfy" the stock seat is. 

• Like 1

Added a 1 gal. RotoPax mount today for the left side rack.  It looks close to the chain guard but compressed the suspension, making sure there were no clearance issues. 

Photo2014-04-2510125PM_zpsa5e65944.jpg

Photo2014-04-2510150PM_zps9d504683.jpg

• Like 3

Spent some time this weekend on fabricating my new rack!!  It's not finished yet, just work in progress.

The welding still has to be completed,  just got it tacked together today.  Here's some shots

IMG_1971_zps693d30e8.jpg

Left side rack is slightly closer to center then the right side due to the exhaust.

IMG_1966_zps020ed646.jpg

IMG_1980_zpse5cb9a23.jpg

Still have to add the mounts for my luggage, and some strap loops, but  I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I found this website really helpful for the coped joints.  It enables you to cut a paper template and trace it onto the tube, it was really helpful.  Most of the bends (except the 4 corners) are done with a conduit bender, so not too many fancy tools needed. :thumbsup:

question for you, and not to sound like an idiot, but what kind of tubing are you using? i cant seem to find it if you mentioned it...  its not just EMT is it? can you bend stainless with a regular EMT pipe bender? sorry, i haven't bent pipe in years, but when i was doing it everyday i was pretty darn good. (so says me... lol) 

great job by the way...  you get 2 of these... :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 4

Eyeopenher, thanks for the feedback. Just using ERW steel tube, the pannier supports are 3/4" .080" wall tube, and the rest is 3/4" .065 or .080 wall tube, it's not EMT. Looks like it thought, but much of it has been scuffed with scotch brite pads. Not sure about bending stainless, but the thinner walled tube I could just about bend, although the tube just started to flatten a bit in the process. Hopefully it'll last well, we'll see in the coming months. Having longer lengths of tube helped with leverage in the bending process, so I did waste a little bit.......

BTW the tighter bends on the panniers racks I got a company to bend for me.

Next is power coating, but may add a rear cross brace before that.

• Like 5

Finally........ the rear rack is finished!!  Didn't add a cross brace yet - still pondering that one.  Here's the result so far :ride:

IMG_2083_zps8f697362.jpg

IMG_2080_zps011d7287.jpg

A little asymmetrical...

IMG_2085_zpse1fadf6f.jpg

IMG_2087_zps1288351d.jpg

Ill post some more pictures of the dry-bags i've got soon.

• Like 7

WOW thats amazing--egnaro--what kind of panniers for the side?? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

WOW thats amazing--egnaro--what kind of panniers for the side?? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have some nelson riggs adventure dry saddlebags, but I also made the mounts to accommodate a pair of givi e21's which are nice for around town and commuting, but I don't think the Givi's would last long on the trail.

• Like 1

So far all the mods are doing well, I'm really happy with my rack and accessories, and the bike is a champ!

Bridge out....

IMG_7521_zpsbe018d22.jpg

Loaded up for a camping trip... Highwood Pass, AB

IMG_7532_zps9733aad4.jpg

IMG_8475_zps22ee9713.jpg

Icefields Parkway, AB

IMG_8495_zps0e5cddef.jpg

Maligne Lake Road,  Jasper, AB

IMG_8303_zpsd2fbbbf6.jpg

• Like 6