Sign in to follow this  

Drain Bolt possibly stripped thread

Hey,

Went to service my 08 Kx yesterday before a ride and when I took out the smaller of the two oil drain bolts (8mm at the front of the case) it unscrewed with thread from the case still wrapped around it.

I had a bit of a look up in the are there is enough thread to screw the bolt back it and thread lock it in place, but I'm afraid if it were to come out again it possibly wouldn't screw back it.

Is it essential oil is drained from both holes? There was hardly any that came out of that front drain hole.

Also, can anyone think of a way to repair without splitting the case?

Hey,

Went to service my 08 Kx yesterday before a ride and when I took out the smaller of the two oil drain bolts (8mm at the front of the case) it unscrewed with thread from the case still wrapped around it.

I had a bit of a look up in the are there is enough thread to screw the bolt back it and thread lock it in place, but I'm afraid if it were to come out again it possibly wouldn't screw back it.

Is it essential oil is drained from both holes? There was hardly any that came out of that front drain hole.

Also, can anyone think of a way to repair without splitting the case?

Try and get it back in there with a thread sealer and never touch it again. I've owned 09, 12, and 13 and yet to remove the forward drain bolt for this reason. There's no need to mess with it. Edited by duhameister

Thankfully there was enough thread that it would go in but will not tighten. I have middle class thread locker on it and took it for a 2 hour ride the other day with no leaks.
Thats pretty well what I needed to know, whether it was necessary to drain oil from it or not.

I've done nearly 400 hrs on my 06. Just about never take that fwd drain bolt out. My used pistons, bearings, etc, have always come out in great condition.  If you do re-install that little M6 bolt, then torque it with one hand on a tee-bar.

My wife has an 08kfx450r and i stripped the small drain bolt on it, barely held in the case. I JB welded that sucker on and its been holding strong ever since and i have had no ill affects.

Ja leave that front bolt

No need to drain it when u do oil change ...

Should be all gud !

I stripped mine out to 06 did a heli coil on it been good ever since. Does anyone know where exactly that oil comes from and what is the purpose of that drain since there obviously isn't a transmission oil.