Sign in to follow this  

Help identify this chunk of broken metal

Hi guys, 

I have a 2009 CRF450X which occasionally doesn't shift past neutral. 

I took off the RH engine cover off to inspect the shifting mechanism and found a broken piece of metal and a collar sitting at the bottom in the oil. 

If anyone has some idea where it may have broken from it would be very helpful. The piece has an F stamped on it

IMG_0579.JPG

Hi guys, 

I have a 2009 CRF450X which occasionally doesn't shift past neutral. 

I took off the RH engine cover off to inspect the shifting mechanism and found a broken piece of metal and a collar sitting at the bottom in the oil. 

If anyone has some idea where it may have broken from it would be very helpful. The piece has an F stamped on it

attachicon.gifIMG_0579.JPG

The collar goes on the shifter pawl...

Ok so I looked a little harder for where that chunk broke off from. I took the kickstart gears out and I find on the ratchet, the same tab as the broken one. So I'm guessing it broke once upon a time and the previous owner had it replaced, but they never took out the broken piece from the old one. 

$(KGrHqF,!g8E8fYjq8H(BPQ9s1H6bg~~60_12.JPG

I put back that collar also and the bike is hasn't missed a shift so far. So fingers crossed.

Edited by 2004 CRF250R
  • Like 1

Ok so I looked a little harder for where that chunk broke off from. I took the kickstart gears out and I find on the ratchet, the same tab as the broken one. So I'm guessing it broke once upon a time and the previous owner had it replaced, but they never took out the broken piece from the old one. 

attachicon.gif$(KGrHqF,!g8E8fYjq8H(BPQ9s1H6bg~~60_12.JPG

I put back that collar also and the bike is hasn't missed a shift so far. So fingers crossed.

I actually have that exact entire kickstart mechanism, if you want it. You just pay the shipping. Alll the parts you need.

Gawd, just to think, that chunk has been floating around in your transmission the whole time. Well, not actually floating, but still. Lucky it didn't get stuck between gears of something.

Edited by yellowdatsun

I actually have that exact entire kickstart mechanism, if you want it. You just pay the shipping. Alll the parts you need.

Thanks bud, but like I said, its been replaced. But the old broken tab was left in there.

Gawd, just to think, that chunk has been floating around in your transmission the whole time. Well, not actually floating, but still. Lucky it didn't get stuck between gears of something.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'll just have to consider myself very lucky.