Sign in to follow this  

Helping a Friend Out With An Oil Change

Hey guys, I have one of those friends that NEVER does any maintenance. He had a loose skid plate for six months and rode at least once a week but never bothered to tighten the screws.

Anyway, he hasn't changed the oil in forever. He has a four stroke atv, but I'm sure the same principles are applied on a dirtbike, let's not worry so much about the vehicle. Mostly what oil I can use. I found two containers of Valvoline Maxlife 75,000 mile oil and I was wondering if I could use that. The atv does have a clutch if that matters. I googled it but couldn't really come up with a definite answer.

I am hoping an oil change will help the clutch not be so hard to pull. I'm also gonna lube his clutch cable and kind of clean up his vehicle for him a little. This will be my first venture into maintenance so i want to do this right especially because it's not my own. (I don't own a bike yet) I feel bad for his vehicles and I just want to help him out a little to keep his stuff running.

So, Valvoline Maxlife 75,000 mile ATF. Can I use it? I have two containers so I have plenty

ATF? That's automatic transmission fluid. NOT engine oil.  Don't use it.

What stuff do I need for this oil change then? I've only researched 2 strokes. So it need like transmission oil and engine oil right?

What kind of quad is it?

For engine oil you want motorcycle oil, 10w-40 will be fine for weight.

Depending on the bike it may not have separate transmission fluid.

What kind of quad is it?

For engine oil you want motorcycle oil, 10w-40 will be fine for weight.

Depending on the bike it may not have separate transmission fluid.

Old suzuki quad. Like an old sport quad. A 250

When I work on older bikes (and I do a lot) I go online and do a little digging until I find the service manual in a free download format. This manual will have all the specs you need including engine oil based on region and riding conditions, amount needed and much, much more. I do agree with the gentleman above though, I'm not quite sure why your friend can't maintain his own bike... However, these manuals are a great thing to have around and will save you on the guesswork.

When I work on older bikes (and I do a lot) I go online and do a little digging until I find the service manual in a free download format. This manual will have all the specs you need including engine oil based on region and riding conditions, amount needed and much, much more. I do agree with the gentleman above though, I'm not quite sure why your friend can't maintain his own bike... However, these manuals are a great thing to have around and will save you on the guesswork.

Well I don't know the model for sure. I may be riding next weekend and I'll take note of year and stuff then download a manual on my laptop. Thanks guys

I'm sure any 4-stroke motorcycle oil will work, e.g., Honda GN-4 or Shell Rotella T6. Problem is, you don't know how much oil to put in. You don't know if there's a metal strainer/filter to clean during the oil change, or if there are any o-rings that need to be changed. That's why you need at a minimum the owner's manual, and preferably a service manual. You can usually download both of these for free from somewhere on the Internet.

Given how much an ATV costs, I have to wonder at folks who won't spend $10 a year changing their oil. Or even $30 a year. It's cheap insurance.

Any ATF fluid is not the equivalent for motor oil, so go to your local dealer and buy the right oil. Rotella (for diesels, usually) is high quality engine oil and works multi-purpose

Bottom line is that the oil needs to be wet clutch compatable, not 10-30 car oil..(too slippery for clutch). Shell rotella or motor cycle specific oils qualify...