Sign in to follow this  

spark plug has to be removed and cleaned before every ride

Howdy,

I have a 1997 CR250 that runs great, but when the bike is left sitting for anything more than a day the spark plug basicly gets flooded and has to be removed and cleaned off. After putting the spark plug back in it starts on first kick. I turn off the gas and dump the gas outa the carb after riding but the problem persists. Any ideas?

To drain the carburetor, do you use the drain screw on the bottom or let it idle until it dies?

I've done both. But for ease I turn gas off and dump bike over.

Howdy,

I have a 1997 CR250 that runs great, but when the bike is left sitting for anything more than a day the spark plug basicly gets flooded and has to be removed and cleaned off. After putting the spark plug back in it starts on first kick. I turn off the gas and dump the gas outa the carb after riding but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Flooded with what? gas? then i guess your crankcase/cylinder is also full of fuel? or is it coolant and your cylinder is full of coolant?

The fuel should shut off with your float needle, if not then check your float needle seating

I've done both. But for ease I turn gas off and dump bike over.

Tipping the bike on its side to drain the carb is probably also dumping fuel down the intake. If you run the bike with the gas off, it will go extremely lean, then die. You probably have experienced a lean misfire, which fouled the plug, then poured gas down the intake the other way. Gas may evaporate, but the oil wont.

Try turning the petcock off and leaving fuel in the bowl. Maybe disconnect the fuel line to check if the flow is actually turned off.