Switching S&SM wheels Pics

Met up with a fellow TT DRZ400SM member/ rider and ''DID WORK'' 

We switched,  kick stands    (S model is like an inch longer then the SM model,  everything else identical)

We switched speedo drives  (S and SM models are identical in looks but different internals)

I kept me S brake rotors (front and rear) and put them on the SM rims (fit perfectly,  both S front/rear are smaller then the SM front/rear)

Me S chain (112links) worked fine with the stock SM gearing (15/41)  im on 4 1/2 on the snail adjuster

Stock SM chain (110 links) also worked fine on the stock S gearing (15/44) and still had some adjustment left.

S got the SM 17'' wheels, 41 rear sprocket, SM speedo drive, SM kickstand,  and SM wheel/frame sliders, stayed with the original chain.  4.60 shinko 244 on front,  5.10 shinko 244 on rear 

SM got the S 18/21 wheels,  got to keep the bigger SM front/rear brake rotors, 44 sprocket, S speedo drive and S kickstand, and got to keep the SM endless chain.  2.75-18 shinko 244 front,  5.10-18 shinko 244 rear 

Knocked it out in about 3 hours,  and that was with lots of bs'ing and dealing with a CHEAP POS Chines cycle gear chain master clip tool thingie...   theres a reason why its only $8 bucks...   

Very weird feeling seeing me 18/21 set go,  had the bike for a while,  did lots with it, (BEST BIKE EVER!)  just wanted to try something new,  FOR NOW. 

BTW both DRZ'S were picked up and put on me home built bike stands by the method of ''one handed curls'' using the seat strap   :D

Front s rim with shinko 244 14  pounds

Rear s rim with shinko 244  25 pounds

Front SM rims with shinko 244 23 pounds

Rear SM rim with shinko 244 32 pounds

s to sm.JPG

s to sm1.JPG

s to sm2.JPG

s to sm3.JPG

s to sm4.JPG

s to sm5.JPG

s to sm6.JPG

s to sm7.JPG

s to sm8.JPG

Looks great!! I'm diggin' the blue rims!

Now I'm jealous, you actually have some good weather to test them out. 

Met up with a fellow TT DRZ400SM member/ rider and ''DID WORK'' 

We switched,  kick stands    (S model is like an inch longer then the SM model,  everything else identical)

We switched speedo drives  (S and SM models are identical in looks but different internals)

I kept me S brake rotors (front and rear) and put them on the SM rims (fit perfectly,  both S front/rear are smaller then the SM front/rear)

Me S chain (112links) worked fine with the stock SM gearing (15/41)  im on 4 1/2 on the snail adjuster

Stock SM chain (110 links) also worked fine on the stock S gearing (15/44) and still had some adjustment left.

S got the SM 17'' wheels, 41 rear sprocket, SM speedo drive, SM kickstand,  and SM wheel/frame sliders, stayed with the original chain.  4.60 shinko 244 on front,  5.10 shinko 244 on rear 

SM got the S 18/21 wheels,  got to keep the bigger SM front/rear brake rotors, 44 sprocket, S speedo drive and S kickstand, and got to keep the SM endless chain.  2.75-18 shinko 244 front,  5.10-18 shinko 244 rear 

Knocked it out in about 3 hours,  and that was with lots of bs'ing and dealing with a CHEAP POS Chines cycle gear chain master clip tool thingie...   theres a reason why its only $8 bucks...   

Very weird feeling seeing me 18/21 set go,  had the bike for a while,  did lots with it, (BEST BIKE EVER!)  just wanted to try something new,  FOR NOW. 

BTW both DRZ'S were picked up and put on me home built bike stands by the method of ''one handed curls'' using the seat strap   :D

Front s rim with shinko 244 14  pounds

Rear s rim with shinko 244  25 pounds

Front SM rims with shinko 244 23 pounds

Rear SM rim with shinko 244 32 pounds

Cool,does it feel like a different bike now?

Cool,does it feel like a different bike now?

Night and day man,   for sure.

You can really feel the extra weight up front,   i can just about flat foot it now (shinkos have some big nubs on em, so its still like 35+ seat height) 

Gonna have to see if i like it or not. 

So is it a done deal or are you just trying them out?

Looks great!! I'm diggin' the blue rims!

Now I'm jealous, you actually have some good weather to test them out. 

Me arm still hurts from you twisting it...

:D

So is it a done deal or are you just trying them out?

Done deal. 

Gonna add  ''SM WANNABE''  to me siggie.  lol

Awesome M8.....sure changes the look....for the better, eh? Damn, am likin' the tires too, you might even be able do a little offroad stuff if you're careful?

Nice write up as well for anyone following in your steps......was this the guy on CL?

Me arm still hurts from you twisting it...

:D

To ease the pain you must twist something as well, I suggest twisting the throttle. :ride:

Wow I thought knobbies would look terrible on 17" rims but that looks bad a$$!! How do they ride on and off road compared to 18/21 setup? Thanks

nice man, the wheels look awesome.  the blue is badass.   :thumbsup:

how did you come across the trade? hope you got a good deal!

Awesome M8.....sure changes the look....for the better, eh? Damn, am likin' the tires too, you might even be able do a little offroad stuff if you're careful?

Nice write up as well for anyone following in your steps......was this the guy on CL?

Thanks M8,   I traded with a member on this forum.

Gonna take it to me riding spot when i get a chance (cant today) and report back with a honest review on how it does on Tripple black diamond trails.

nice man, the wheels look awesome.  the blue is badass.   :thumbsup:

how did you come across the trade? hope you got a good deal!

A member on here was looking for a dirt set up,  we were close to each other and worked out a deal that was good for both of us,   we both got what we wanted. 

Nice Ron! I think yours is the first bike I have seen that I actually like the blue rims on!

Very nice Ron. The blue rims look nice on your bike!

Edited by KORACK

It looks gnarly Ron. So I know the 17" are better on asphalt. So I'm curious how this set up is going to perform off-road. Keep us posted!

It looks gnarly Ron. So I know the 17" are better on asphalt. So I'm curious how this set up is going to perform off-road. Keep us posted!

For sure,  ill give an honest review,  ive been hitting the same trails here for years now,  so i know exactly what its like with the 21/18,  i will see how the 17's compare,   i will admit tho,  these 17's 244's (brand new) have some very big and deep lugs,  1/2+ knobs,  thinking twill be ok,  ill report back. 

You managed to get 15/41 gearing to work with a 112 link chain?! Either my chain is stretched to hell, or one of us is doing something wrong.

I have a set of -SM Excels for my 2003 KLX400SR (rebadged DRZ400S). I cannot make 15/41 work with what I am pretty sure is the factory chain.

Also you got 15/44 to work with a 110 link chain? Everything I've read on SMJ and anything else I can find with google says that will not work.. at least not on the -SM.

Does the -S swing arm have more wheel adjustment than the -SM?

I had to get a 110 link chain to work with 15/41.  the 112 was too long, with the chain tensioners all the way out it was still too loose.

You managed to get 15/41 gearing to work with a 112 link chain?! Either my chain is stretched to hell, or one of us is doing something wrong.

I have a set of -SM Excels for my 2003 KLX400SR (rebadged DRZ400S). I cannot make 15/41 work with what I am pretty sure is the factory chain.

Also you got 15/44 to work with a 110 link chain? Everything I've read on SMJ and anything else I can find with google says that will not work.. at least not on the -SM.

Does the -S swing arm have more wheel adjustment than the -SM?

I had to get a 110 link chain to work with 15/41.  the 112 was too long, with the chain tensioners all the way out it was still too loose.

Me stock OEM SUZUKI DRZ400S chain (112 links) fit the 15/41 combo,  and i am at 4 1/2 on the snail adjuster,   we were very surprised,   i even had the chain off me S model cause were were going to be switching chains.

The STOCK OEM SUZUKI DRZ400SM chain (110 links)  fit the 15/44 combo and the chain fit over it just fine ,   we were gonna cut off a link,  since its a endless chain with no master link,  but we figured wed try it first,  we were pleasently surprised that it fit,  and glad we did not have to cut a brand new (130 miles on the brand new 2014 SM chain)   The chain on the SM was at the number 2 line on the SM's adjustment thingie. 

We were planning on switching/trading chains too,  but they fit fine so each chain stayed on its original bike. 

Hmm.. Maybe my chain is just stretched to hell. Still, I'd expect your 112 link -S chain to look like mine eventually. No way that was safe to operate.

The idea of making 15/44 work with a 110-link (ie -SM sized) chain may work for me. I'd rather 15/47 in the dirt.. but no way that works.

Whooooo Hooooooooo !!!! very nice !

I first wanted the blue rims after seeing them on another members blue S . I was on the hunt for a set for a long time . They look great on your bike , looks like you could ride on the moon with the knobbie 17's . Once my bike took on chameleon status I figured black or natural aluminum would work better as far as matching the look of the bike. You nailed it right there . I'm glad you found such a sweet set so quickly . I'm loving mine for the road , but it's still damn cold here . Were expecting another snow storm on Wednesday . The street manners are so greatly improved with the street tires it's like a whole different bike . I'd be interested as to how it feels with tires like that.