Sign in to follow this  

Update on 97 RM 125

Ok guys and gals have an update on the low compression, (125 psi) tore the top end open and you all were right not a purty sight. Found the cylinder and the piston scored on the exhaust side of both and where the power valves are there was a flat spot on the ring. Also found the needle valve from the throttle was in the 4 th position so I moved it to the third.

Sending the cylinder out to get sleeved on Monday so won't have it back together for a week or so but I wanted to ask what anyone thought about who is the best company to go with for the new piston and gasket set? Also is there anything else I should/ can check while I have it torn down? Should I have the rebuild company do anything with the power valves?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395589747.003273.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395589793.808009.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395589818.222329.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395589878.101662.jpg

I will pull the pilot and main out later this week and update on the sizes so I can get feed back on what should be in it from stock since I'm going back to a 54mm setup like factory. I am in Indiana were its 20 one day and literally 70 the next day. More to come on the carburetor.

I also wanted thank everyone for their help since I'm a newbie at this and you all are a plethora of knowledge so thanks the help.

I'm going to attempt to add some pics so you al can learn/see from my pain (lol)-(money) again (lol).

More to come.

I'm actually in the process of rebuilding my 97 rm 125 as well. Your wear marks look very similar to mine. I opted not to resleave or to bore, had Ricky Carmichael's old mechanic take a look at the cylinder and he said it looks fine. So only thing I'm doing to the cylinder is a simple hone/deglaze. As long as there are no etches and the cylinder is nice and smooth we should be fine a little wear is normal. The nikisil plating is pretty tough . Im going with the wiseco piston kit because their pistons are forged and come predrilled with lubicration holes. Just make sure you measure your piston ring gap and squish prior to startup to make sure they are within specified tolerances.

ive just got the clutch basket to replace on mine and its finished ive replaced or fixed just about everything on the bike my rm.jpg