ONLY 36 HOURS LEFT! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Trying to decide what year 450 to buy and looking at a couple options... Suggestions please!

Whats goin on fellas??

I'm getting back into the motocross world and im looking to buy a 2008 or newer 450f. I'm somewhat budget minded with this decision but i dont mind paying a little more for a better bike if its worth the difference.

Previous riding history...

I've been riding dirtbikes since i was 12. I had 2 cr125's (an 01 and an 03) and then 2 RMZ 250's (both 05's). I took about a 5 year break from the sport and in that time, i've had a handful of streetbikes and now im going back to dirt. I just turned 28. I'm 6'0 and a solid 220 lbs thanks to living in the gym for the past 5 years or so. That said, I've decided a 450 is a must for me as I was 30 lbs lighter when i was riding my 250f's.

I recently bought an 08 yz 450f off a buddy of mine. I've never been a yamaha fan personally but the price was right ($2200 with clean title and a few extras) and the bike is clean with relatively low hours and was primarily trail ridden by a 40+ owner. I've ridden it a handful of times now and im loving the 450 power! I am falling back in my old groove quickly and making my way around the track faster and faster with every visit. The YZ is a surprisingly easy bike to ride with a controllable power curve, good handling and a plush suspension in comparison to my previous dirt bikes.

Now... Im not sure if im going to keep or sell this 08 or just add another to the stable at this point but i figure thats something i should figure out before i start dumping money into suspension, Excel wheels, etc etc on this 08 and then want something newer. This is where you guys come in!!

I'm looking for another clean used 08-13 450f. I know there were some good and bad bikes made between those years from what i've read online. If i get another 08, it will def be a crf450r. I've always been a honda fan and from what i've read, the 06-08 crf450's are considered one of the best 450's ever made (even though they're pre-fuel injection bikes). I've already got a couple leads on nice 08's that are setup the way i like for in the $2500 range. Now... That said, I'm sure fuel injection and recent technology has made the late model bikes even better than those but im looking at it from a "cost vs gain" standpoint which is why i haven't kicked out the idea of the 08.

My other option is to pony up the cash for a nice used 2012 or 2013 450f considering im planning on sticking with this motocross thing for a long while. I've been hunting high and low and i've read all of the shootouts and reviews on the 12 / 13 bikes and although they do help some, they arent the 100% deciding factor for everyone. I dont need the all out fastest 450... especially at the expense of reliability. Any 450 will have enough power for 90% of folks out there. That extra 1 hp only matters at the pro level. That said... I'm looking for something that will be reliable but also something that will ride and perform well. Handling and overall comfort/feel is more important to me on a bike than brute power because thats what will allow you to feel most confident in the bike and will make you faster as a result. I'm anal when it comes to oil changes and regular maintenance so that will be done religously. I just dont want to be breaking things constantly or having to get the valves adjusted or top end rebuilt more than necessary. If im working on the bike more than im riding it, there is something wrong. lol

Budget was originally $3k for a bike but i'll spend more if its worth the difference. I have a lead on a used 13 crf450 for $4k that im strongly considering.

Taking all of this into consideration, what bike would you guys suggest??  

Are the air shocks on the 13 models a positive change so far?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Edited by Neversatisfied02

Whats goin on fellas??

I'm getting back into the motocross world and im looking to buy a 2008 or newer 450f. I'm somewhat budget minded with this decision but i dont mind paying a little more for a better bike if its worth the difference.

Previous riding history...

I've been riding dirtbikes since i was 12. I had 2 cr125's (an 01 and an 03) and then 2 RMZ 250's (both 05's). I took about a 5 year break from the sport and in that time, i've had a handful of streetbikes and now im going back to dirt. I just turned 28. I'm 6'0 and a solid 220 lbs thanks to living in the gym for the past 5 years or so. That said, I've decided a 450 is a must for me as I was 30 lbs lighter when i was riding my 250f's.

I recently bought an 08 yz 450f off a buddy of mine. I've never been a yamaha fan personally but the price was right ($2200 with clean title and a few extras) and the bike is clean with relatively low hours and was primarily trail ridden by a 40+ owner. I've ridden it a handful of times now and im loving the 450 power! I am falling back in my old groove quickly and making my way around the track faster and faster with every visit. The YZ is a surprisingly easy bike to ride with a controllable power curve, good handling and a plush suspension in comparison to my previous dirt bikes.

Now... Im not sure if im going to keep or sell this 08 or just add another to the stable at this point but i figure thats something i should figure out before i start dumping money into suspension, Excel wheels, etc etc on this 08 and then want something newer. This is where you guys come in!!

I'm looking for another clean used 08-13 450f. I know there were some good and bad bikes made between those years from what i've read online. If i get another 08, it will def be a crf450r. I've always been a honda fan and from what i've read, the 06-08 crf450's are considered one of the best 450's ever made (even though they're pre-fuel injection bikes). I've already got a couple leads on nice 08's that are setup the way i like for in the $2500 range. Now... That said, I'm sure fuel injection and recent technology has made the late model bikes even better than those but im looking at it from a "cost vs gain" standpoint which is why i haven't kicked out the idea of the 08.

My other option is to pony up the cash for a nice used 2012 or 2013 450f considering im planning on sticking with this motocross thing for a long while. I've been hunting high and low and i've read all of the shootouts and reviews on the 12 / 13 bikes and although they do help some, they arent the 100% deciding factor for everyone. I dont need the all out fastest 450... especially at the expense of reliability. Any 450 will have enough power for 90% of folks out there. That extra 1 hp only matters at the pro level. That said... I'm looking for something that will be reliable but also something that will ride and perform well. Handling and overall comfort/feel is more important to me on a bike than brute power because thats what will allow you to feel most confident in the bike and will make you faster as a result. I'm anal when it comes to oil changes and regular maintenance so that will be done religously. I just dont want to be breaking things constantly or having to get the valves adjusted or top end rebuilt more than necessary. If im working on the bike more than im riding it, there is something wrong. lol

Budget was originally $3k for a bike but i'll spend more if its worth the difference. I have a lead on a used 13 crf450 for $4k that im strongly considering.

Taking all of this into consideration, what bike would you guys suggest??

Are the air shocks on the 13 models a positive change so far?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

It is going to be very hard to improve on what you have. I would quit reading new bike articles, ride and smile with a big pile of money STILL in YOUR pocket for future needs. I am a sr rider who finally found out that new bike purchases only benefit the dealer most of the time. And the mags are a sales tool for stuff that honestly don't improve your bike. When it comes to Yamaha and Honda, a well dialed stock bike is hard to beat. Good luck.

Thanks for the reponse bud. And yeah... Keeping what i have is option 3 i suppose. Really more than anything else, i figured the fuel injection in itself would be a worthy reason to buy a newer model but i may not even notice a difference other than the missing carb. Lol

My dad has also recently mentioned that he'd like to have a dirt bike so he can ride with me. Having 2 bikes would be nice for that.

The 13 crf450 for $4k seems like a really good deal from what im seeing them priced at online.

The 08 for $2500 even though its setup nicely with wheels, etc seems to be more of the norm price wise. If patient, a clean 08 can be had now for closer to $2k. Granted... That's a good deal but they're out there.

Thanks for the reponse bud. And yeah... Keeping what i have is option 3 i suppose. Really more than anything else, i figured the fuel injection in itself would be a worthy reason to buy a newer model but i may not even notice a difference other than the missing carb. Lol

My dad has also recently mentioned that he'd like to have a dirt bike so he can ride with me. Having 2 bikes would be nice for that.

The 13 crf450 for $4k seems like a really good deal from what im seeing them priced at online.

The 08 for $2500 even though its setup nicely with wheels, etc seems to be more of the norm price wise. If patient, a clean 08 can be had now for closer to $2k. Granted... That's a good deal but they're out there.

i would snatch up the 13 crf for 4k try to talk him down a little and have your dad use the yz450f when you guys ride together

That's the plan. He won't go lower than $4k though. He was asking $4800 and offered it to me for $4k as his bottom dollar. Cheapest 13 I've seen so far.