New to the 650L. What is normal?

My son and I have both recently acquired 2007 XR650Ls. Nice bikes well maintained with low miles -- nearly perfect condition. I'm heavy at 270lbs and my son is probably around 250lbs. There is no reason to expect that the sprockets are not the original sizes. At 45MPH my bike feels unhappy in 5th gear. 4th smooths out the ride quite a bit. The bike doesn't like 5th gear until a little bit past 50MPH. Is this typical?

you just need to ride it

you will find all the sweet spots  remember this bike can do over a hundred mph and your in top gear at 50mph

i have ridden enough stuff with an without a tach  i can tell what the machine likes  but for some no  tach on the 650 is a shortcoming 

Edited by Zimman

Get used to a shitty stock suspension too. The front end is long and you can feel the torsional movement of the handlebars and the front wheel.

1st-2nd gears in these bikes are too far apart. And they scream in 5th without proper gearing changes....

I read somebody posted on here "dual sport that's terrible at both".

With money spent correctly, they can be great bikes. But stock, they're lacking.

They weigh a fortune too.

But I like mine ok! :thumbsup:

I haven't had an issue with the torsional twist and I expected I would given my stature   I also read some use braces with " great" results and others can' tell the difference

as far as dual sport   it does wrap out on the street specially when you re gear to enhance the off road capabilities like I did  so thats a down side and for off road it's a heavy bike

so asides from those two things not a lot of bikes seem so dirt capable  and then can get you there on the Tarmac  but I would never cross country one nor even ride on the free way to get to a trail  LOL

I would say there are way worse "at both"  dual sports out there  but we all know the saying      "jack of all trades master of none "  I say that sums up the XRL

better than "terrible at both "

I haven't had an issue with the torsional twist and I expected I would given my stature I also read some use braces with " great" results and others can' tell the difference

as far as dual sport it does wrap out on the street specially when you re gear to enhance the off road capabilities like I did so thats a down side and for off road it's a heavy bike

so asides from those two things not a lot of bikes seem so dirt capable and then can get you there on the Tarmac but I would never cross country one nor even ride on the free way to get to a trail LOL

I would say there are way worse "at both" dual sports out there but we all know the saying "jack of all trades master of none " I say that sums up the XRL

better than "terrible at both "

I know we all like to complain about the bikes weight, but it is kinda cool leading the trail with a heavy big bike like the XRL with lights, and having MX bikes struggle to keep up!

The weight is only a problem if you fall down!

Yes, 45 mph is too slow for 5th. Even though these are considered large singles, they still do not like to be put under a load at low rpm. Multi-cylinder engines can deal with loads at lower rpm better than singles; there is only one power pulse every two crank revolutions with a single.

I say that above 50mph is about the lower limit for 5th, but if there is a hill or a headwind, it'll be closer to 60mph, minimum.

When Harley-Davidson went to a six speed transmission, they made 6th a redundant overdrive, because 5th is already overdrive. 6th gear is useless below 65-70 mph, but there is no doubt some riders are lugging the hell out of the engines by using 6th gear at too low of speeds. 6th gear on the big Harley's is only good for higher speeds, like on an interstate highway.

5th gear is overdrive on the XR650L. If you don't know what the technical difference between drive and overdrive is, you need to research it. Overdrive cuts down on torque but also lowers pumping losses associated with gasoline engine. 4th is drive; 1:1.

Don't lug the engine, it is hard on the bottom end.

I read somebody posted on here "dual sport that's terrible at both".

The XR650L is not perfect, but it's better than the other two Japanese choices, the DR650 and the KLR650.

I accept the imperfections and enjoy riding it anyway.  I can go a lot of places on it.

And "terrible" is a rather strong word that doesn't really fit for anything that I like to use the bike for, including all kinds of pavement riding as well as tight single-track trails.

I know we all like to complain about the bikes weight, but it is kinda cool leading the trail with a heavy big bike like the XRL with lights, and having MX bikes struggle to keep up!

well if it didn't weigh so much it probably wouldn't go down so much for me

damn thing is a little hard to save once it gets going towards horizontal like when your foot hits a void as you went  put your foot down   LOL

Edited by Zimman

Yeah anything below 50 in 5th gear isn't real happy. Good to know it's not just me.

Yeah anything below 50 in 5th gear isn't real happy. Good to know it's not just me.

Mine is fine about about 35 in 5th - with stock gearing - as long as I don't give it any throttle.  V-twins are like that too.

I generally cruise along in the highest gear that works and downshift as necessary.  I definitely don't look at the speedometer to figure out what gear I should be in.

I once did an experiment to find out how high of a gear I could successfully start out from dead stop with on the XR650L.  I probably had a 14-tooth front on the bike then, so second gear was no big deal.  I was able to get started in all gears, including fifth.  I wouldn't want to do the higher gears too many times or I would have to put a new clutch in, but but the engine can deal with being in too high of gear if you don't go nuts with the throttle.

Just orderd 3 tickets for round 6 of the supercross series for Indy. Section 109, Row 6, Seats 1-3, pretty nice seats at the landing of a big triple. I dont think I can wait a whole month!

If you have stock jets w/o any mods at all the bike is a dog. Do the requisite mods and it pulls like an ox...I have no problem running 50 mph in 5th gear...but when it was stock I had your issues.

Agreed, rejetted to 52/155 desnorkle, no more surging at low rpm. 55mph seems like idling in 5th gear. On pavement I would keep the rpm up in 3rd or 4th at 45mph.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime. If the L is too heavy for one to pick up one should probably not be riding it. They can hurt you bad. Surprisingly when I do inevitably fall I always get the pig back up without any drama. I end up leading much younger, stronger and faster riders on nearly every ride (If KTM and Husky200s are so damned good why aren't those 25 yr olds leading?). Once you know how to use the L correctly it rarely fails you. It's not a race bike by any stretch so don't ever expect it to act like one.

I'm a noob, too, and I was a little put off by the 5th gear thing, also. Cool that the subject has been addressed already. TT is great! My XRL is a bone stock '05 with 10k miles on it, and the only question I have is for Zimman: This bike will do 100 mph? Mine tops out at about 78 on pavement. Should I be concerned about that?

I'm a noob, too, and I was a little put off by the 5th gear thing, also. Cool that the subject has been addressed already. TT is great! My XRL is a bone stock '05 with 10k miles on it, and the only question I have is for Zimman: This bike will do 100 mph? Mine tops out at about 78 on pavement. Should I be concerned about that?

interesting

honestly I was going of of numerous top speed threads 

I won't ever go anywhere near that fast   I run top speed killing sprockets and I am chicken  to go that fast  LOL 

my high speed on two wheels days are over