Adding electric start to kickstart only

Does anyone know if you can add electric start to the kickstart only model if I buy the necessary components?  Seems like all I would need would be a harness, stator cover, starter, battery, starter gear and ignition switch.

Does anyone know if you can add electric start to the kickstart only model if I buy the necessary components?  Seems like all I would need would be a harness, stator cover, starter, battery, starter gear and ignition switch.

if im not mistaken, and a left case and a new crank i believe

Well I go bought for 1800 and its bored to 455, has a rekluse clutch, suspension revalved with new springs and CA street legal. So to find an E model thats plated would be a little more difficult and I would loose all the goodies.

Depends. If you can afford to 'overlap' you can swap out all the parts you want to retain EXCEPT for the CA legal part. Getting 'on road legal' there is a pain, I know.

Have you considered doing it with a 'S'. If you do it right, all you'll have to buy extra will be two gasket sets, fluids and a couple of circlips. Though the buyer of your kicker would be bummed to find you put on the Mikuni carb..........

Well I go bought for 1800 and its bored to 455, has a rekluse clutch, suspension revalved with new springs and CA street legal. So to find an E model thats plated would be a little more difficult and I would loose all the goodies.

Well maybe you should have asked these question before making the purchase rather than after.

Or just keep it as a kicker, we were kicking bikes in to life long before electric start was introduced.

HTFU. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=htfu

Part numbers might change but do not be confused by that.  All DRZ400E, S, SM all years interchange the crankshaft.  Only the kick only model has a unique crank. Kick only correct model designation is simply "DRZ400"  No sub scripts.  Year codes Y, K1, K2.  I think K2 (2002) was the last model year the the DRZ400.  Lots more differences than just the crank.  Flywheel, side cover, starter, stator, electrical system.........  Converting to E start is not financially feasable unless you can buy a cheap wrecked bike with all the parts you need.  Search.  Los of posts on this topic.

• Like 1

Turing a DRZ400 into an Elec start is cost prohibitive . .. And in doing so, you would loose the best part of the kicker.. lighter rotating mass, narrower  width, lighter gross weight of the bike. . 

It would take 

Left side crank

flywheel

starter gear and sprag bearing

Starter idler gear and shaft

Starter TQ limiter, shaft, shims

Stator and wiring

Starter relay, wiring, switch

Starter

Left side cover

You could sell a running kicker for a decent price and buy a running E motor with $$ to spare... in most cases.

Turing a DRZ400 into an Elec start is cost prohibitive . .. And in doing so, you would loose the best part of the kicker.. lighter rotating mass, narrower  width, lighter gross weight of the bike. . 

It would take 

Left side crank

flywheel

starter gear and sprag bearing

Starter idler gear and shaft

Starter TQ limiter, shaft, shims

Stator and wiring

Starter relay, wiring, switch

Starter

Left side cover

You could sell a running kicker for a decent price and buy a running E motor with $$ to spare... in most cases.

You forgot to add a battery ?

• Like 1