Sign in to follow this  

1986 XR250R- How much oil should I put in it?

I want to do an oil change and change the oil filter as well. So how much should I put it? and also how much oil should I put in if I didn't change the filter? I read somewhere that I should put 1.5 quarts if I change the oil filter and oil. 

Also, when changing my fork boots/gaiters, should I install them from removing the forks from the triple clamps, or from removing the wheel?

Thank you so much!

It should say on the side of the motor how much oil to put in I think 1.5 is to much and removeing the forks would be the way to go

It should say on the side of the motor how much oil to put in I think 1.5 is to much and removeing the forks would be the way to go

I got 1.5 quarts from the Haynes Book, but ill check the side of the engine.  Also how often would you recommend I change the oil/oil filter?

It should have a maintenance schedule in the manual you should clean your air filter to and change the plug

Edited by stillsmoken

According to the Honda shop manual, here are the oil capacities:

Oil & Filter change - 1.4 liters (1.48 US qts, 1.23 imp qts)

Oil only - 1.3 liters (1.37 US qts, 1.14 imp qts)

At engine assembly - 1.6 liters  (1.70 US qts, 1.41 imp qts)

Fork boots: remove wheel, disconnect front brake, remove forks, remove old boots.  Install is reverse.

Do a search on here for the shop manual and download it.  Tons of very helpful information contained.

You also need to follow how to check your oil level after changing it. There is a procedure & bike also has a dipstick, make sure you do it right or you may do damage.