California Foresthill Trail 6 - fact or fiction?

Ok so I have ridden foresthill 2 times and I really like that place, but I have never tried the " infamous" trail 6.   

Anyone want to head up there and tackle it with me? Or if you have done it, want to lead the way??

FAQ's:

how long does it take to do a loop?

clockwise or counterclockwise?

does this trail include the elusive "mexican $%* house"?

will I see unicorns and double rainbows?

• Like 2

trail six is 15 miles around the loop. About six miles one way to get there from main sugar pine staging area. No big bob's mexican house is on the loop part of trail five. I tell most first time guys to go counter clock wise. The reason for this is on cod fish ridge there are some good step up sections that when your tired can be hard for newer riders. I don't know your skill level so can't say how hard it will be for you. Also a note if you get hung up in a section don't just spin your tire get off and lift bike over the section. This keeps the trail from getting ruts. The fastest i have made it around the loop is one hour five minutes but i have ridden that trail for twenty years. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

I'd be up to doing it again, the last time was 20 years ago on my XR350....I'm older and still slow, what could go wrong??

We need to get the band back together for this gig!

Edited by hockdog
  • Like 1

trail six is 15 miles around the loop. About six miles one way to get there from main sugar pine staging area. No big bob's mexican house is on the loop part of trail five. I tell most first time guys to go counter clock wise. The reason for this is on cod fish ridge there are some good step up sections that when your tired can be hard for newer riders. I don't know your skill level so can't say how hard it will be for you. Also a note if you get hung up in a section don't just spin your tire get off and lift bike over the section. This keeps the trail from getting ruts. The fastest i have made it around the loop is one hour five minutes but i have ridden that trail for twenty years. Hope this helps. 

When I got to it i went left, seems a short time later I was in these

brutal down hill switch backs, whats that like going up at the end of the day?

done it on my xr200r and xr350r both ways. doing it clockwise has switchback going down in the first half and step ups in the second part. counterclockwise has step downs in the first part, and a couple of tricky uphills, and the tight switch backs going uphill towards the end. so it depends on what you're comfortable with or want extra practice with. the creek is a nice place to have a lunch, if you want. bring plenty of water and make sure your bike is jetting for higher altitudes.

what's your skill level ? I'd be willing to go. since it's not a wise trail to do solo (although I have done it). 15 mile loop and aprox 20 miles round trip from sugar pine, I think. 

Edited by cynicryder

Clockwise is definitely harder than counter clockwise. But really, either way has it's special challenges.

That said,  I remember stopping at the bridge when a family of 4 came up with a 10 year old girl on an XR80.  Don't tell anyone!  It's a secret.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

We gotta keep the mystic of Trail 6 alive!!!!  That said, the dog leg of trail 5 is shorter, nastier, funner,  but the views & creeks are better on trail 6.  

Picture+017.jpg

Picture+012.jpg

Foresthill+006.jpg

183021.jpg?v=1

Edited by superslyko
  • Like 1

Most difficult trail I've ever ridden, this going clockwise.

Was a bee-atch for me.

• Like 1

That said,  I remember stopping at the bridge when a family of 4 came up with a 10 year old girl on an XR80.  Don't tell anyone!  It's a secret.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

a xr80 is a hell of a lot easier to pick up...

• Like 1

while trail #6 hasn't been the most difficult trail I have ridden, it does teach humility to the ueber-confident and is not for p*ssies or whiners. oh, and as ossidog has pointed out, don't take your sunday bike out there. the worst place I got in trouble is on the narrow trail going up to the ridge out of the creekbed going clockwise. there is a tree on the highside of the trail and I slipped my front wheel off the trail trying not to clip my handlebar on the tree and slid down the ravine a bit. it took me over an 1hr to get my bike out and was pretty exhausted, which made climbing the step ups on top of the ridge a chore... I wonder how many bikes are at the bottom of the ravine ???

Edited by cynicryder

Thanks for all the feedback!

Looks like a plan is being formulated. Warm up with a trail 5 loop and then hit 6. CW or CCW we can take a vote.

I don't own a Sunday bike but maybe I will steal my sons CRF80.

No urgency on my part when we go up there. I think FH is still closed for the "winter"

Trail 6 and 5 are not all that tough if you have some riding experience.

I have ridden both on mt CR500 and my XR650L.

I have a buddy that rode trail 6 on his BMW HP-2.

He was trying to do the loop in less then an hour - but never did.

He was close.

But - he rode extremely well.

Here he is on the HP2 at Hangtown pro track.

94376960-M_zpsd8205b16.jpg

94379549-M_zps0086dbf2.jpg

I always thought I was OK riding a 650 in the woods.

It is a fun trail, but it's kinda short so we usually add in the Western States trail... it intersects trail 6 and is on the map.  It's just an out and back trail that will add some more mileage and has a lot of the same type of terrain.   I'm looking forward to riding it when it opens.... one of my favorites.