Sign in to follow this  

2014 yz250f vs my 2012 yz250f?

Hey guys! Man its been a long time since ive posted on here!

So Ive been looking at the 14s yzs at my work and im very tempted to pick one up but I want to know what is the difference compared to my 2012 (or you can say 13 since the 12 is identical).

Right now my bike is jetted with a fmf 4.1 system with megabomb header. I was wondering how the motor, suspension, and the handling compared on the 14. Did any if you mess with the gytr tuner on it yet? And how is reliability?

Thank yoy guys so much!!

Alex

14 is totally new, as you know. It is a better starting point and has a much better motor, off of the showroom floor. Suspension is about the same as a 12-13, as those bikes were pretty on-point also. Handling is subjective. The 10-13 are very good-handling bikes, so it's not like you would be gaining much there. I will hopefully have a much better comparison for you in the coming weeks, it has been terrible weather here and haven't had a chance to get out and ride mine back to back with my friends new 14.

Thats so awesome man! I heard the motor was amazing.  Did you have a 2012 or 2013? Because my 12 has excellent bottom end.  Is the new 14 more snappy?  Because i ride woods and i need some extra bottom end for those big hills haha.  :ride:

All the reports on the 14s say they are better than the previous gen in 3 areas. Motor motor and motor. The rest of the bike is different but not necessarily better. The motor is a major leap forward and considered top of the class now. The carb'd motor can be made much better with some reasonable mods.

• Like 2

we have a 14 and also a couple 13's that are full race engines,and suspension set up for 135 lb A-riders.just started to ride the 14 and try a few diff maps with fmf pipe and 4.4vp fuel.if your going to ride woods,the suspension is probly to stiff for serious enduro racing.the pipe helped a bit,but it lost a little off the bottom.the stock exhaust is actually darn good.im sure the reliability will be great,although you need to remember that the piston will need replaced sooner then the previous yrs,due to the single comp ring.im goona put cams and race piston and port the head when we do the first piston change.for local A-class moto,its fine,but its goona need more power if you are racing pro-ams.the power tuner works good,but i think that for serious moto,the bike will benefit from a vortex or get ecm.the power tuner doesn't have enough adjustability for a serious race motor.overall its a great bike and a welcomed change,my sons have raced 250f yammies exclusively since 2006.you wont be sorry if you decide to buy a 14.hope this helps u out.and dont forget to get a skidplate since they dont come with one.

• Like 2

noslo33,

Great information you provided. Sounds like you've got a very good basis for comparison.

How would you say the 14 motor compares to your built 2013s? What does your rider say about the handling of the 14 vs. the 13?

Thanks

i was talking with my oldest son about what he thought the new bike was like compared to our 2013's both befre and after the 13's were built up for serious moto action.his reply was:I can race the 14 at the local A-class races with just the suspension set up for me.the 13 needed a little boost in top-end H.P. to be competitive,along with the suspension upgrades.He also says that the 14 does just about everything good,with the exception of the weak front brakes.He also kinda missed the HIT of the carburated race motor on our 13's,as the 14 has a very linear feel to it.we are still experimenting with the power tuner and two types of fuel,and im sure when we install the gyrt cams and piston,along with a ported cylinder head and possibly a diff fuel controller,the bike will absolutely be better then the 13's.My younger son said that he wants to stick with his 13 untill we have the 14 completely finished and he can ride-em back to back while being timed.I think the linear feel of the 14 makes him think that it isn't as fast as the 13's in full race mode.He did say that in stock form the 14 is just a nicer bike all around and that worked a lot better on the track when compared to a stock 13.Either way you look at it,the 250f yammie is an awesome motorcycle and the reliability is top notch.

What about the front end bite at turn-in on the '14?  Is it kind of like a 2 stroke?  If so, that wouldn't be bad in my book.  I've never really liked the heavy feeling front end of 4 stroke YZs.  I prefer a more neutral, or even a rearward weight bias feeling (kind of like KXFs).

you would probly have to ride one so you can make a good comparison,even after setting up the susp and lowering the shock 1.5mm,i wouldn't say that its more rear bias,but its probly nuetral,i do know that the bike corners better than the previous yrs.

I didn't ride my 14' in stock form got the suspension revalved by my local guy as soon as I got it home so i can't really comment on the front end feel with stock setup.  He said with the geometry of the bike the easiest setup fix is to run more race sag (around 110mm) and move the forks up in the triple clamps (15mm from the top of the fork to the top triple clamp).  I'm 160 lbs and he also dropped the spring rates front and rear he said stock they are very stiff.  Only rode the bike twice-2 hrs but all I can say with the suspension setup this way bike handles on rails no light front end feeling that I can feel.  Very confidence inspiring hope that helps

Wow guys thank you so much for all the comments!! I'm really wanting this 14, but I may wait to see whether the 14s will go on sale.  Does anybody seee any good deals so far on the new leftover 14s?  My dealer has them on sale for 6499 already.  I guess they are getting ready for the 15s.

Thats what my buddy at my work was telling me about his 14.  The front forks were extremely stiff for woods riding.  Does the bike feel just as light as the 13?  

NOS, how long do you guys get out of a piston for the 14?  I swear i was on yamahas website, and they said it was a dual ring piston, but maybe i am wrong haha.

"Various detailed design measures are adopted to reduce horsepower loss. The forged 2-ring piston is light weight and is cooled by an oil spray jet. In addition, the compression ring is a singlering design instead of the conventional two ring. This new piston and rings, along with the offset cylinder configuration reduce friction loss and contribute to quicker response. What’s more, the new specs for the intake/exhaust ports, new cam profiles, new ECU, new carburized crank, optimized balance ratios for the crank web, the newly designed transmission, strengthened clutch design, and other features, all work together to create the YZ250F’s outstanding engine character with more power output and deeper power in the high-rpm range"

the manual says 12.5 hrs and thats when the piston should be changed.two rings refers to one compression(top ring)and the oil rings.im sure that you could go 15-20 hrs with no issues,but for peak performance,thats what they recomend.we were at a track this weekend,and i was surprised how many new 250f yammies were there.Everyone that i talked to said that they loved their new yammie,and were happy that they bought it.im goona wait till the 2015's come out,and then trade or sell one of our 13's so my youngest son will have one too.

the manual says 12.5 hrs and thats when the piston should be changed.two rings refers to one compression(top ring)and the oil rings.im sure that you could go 15-20 hrs with no issues,but for peak performance,thats what they recomend.we were at a track this weekend,and i was surprised how many new 250f yammies were there.Everyone that i talked to said that they loved their new yammie,and were happy that they bought it.im goona wait till the 2015's come out,and then trade or sell one of our 13's so my youngest son will have one too.

Oh I got ya!  I thought Yamaha was talking about two compression rings haha.  But it looks like i may look into this 14 since its so tempting. Since I race woods, i'm not sure how often i'll replace my top end.  My 12 has about 95hrs on stock top end and it is running great, but before the next race i'm going to throw a top end in.  My old 09 yz450f had about 300 hours on a stock top end since i bought it new, and everything was in spec except for the end gap on the rings.  Other than that, everything was perfect.  Shows how reliable yamahas really are!!!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

ouch sounds like the '14 will be more costly to maintain changing the top end more frequently!

we just traded our 09 450 in and it had just over 100 hrs on it.the piston was changed one time,along with a timing chain.it didnt even need the valves adjusted the entire time we owned the bike,and the piston change was probly a waste of time.lol.im sure that the 14 250f can make it 30 to 40 hrs on the stock top end if you are using good oil and filters,along with prpper air filter maintenance.I recently rebuilt a 250f honda that had 40 hrs on the stock top end and it was in pretty good shape,but i did have to put intake valves in it,and re-cut all 4 valve seats.this bike has been ridden hard by a local A-rider.I have always thought that the yamaha and honda are tops in reliability,with the yammie edging out the red bike due to a superior valve and head life.im a retired motorcycle mechanic,and i still help out a few of our racing buddies(mostly the ones that race kawis)lol.with the new yammie upping the h.p. and going to a 4 valve head,im sure that top end maint will need to be kept up on,but i do not think that it will be any worse than any of the other 250f's.

• Like 2

Comparing KX250F '14 with psf forks and complete RideJBI suspension settings (with additional parts installed), YZ250F '14 stock handles way better! I was really impressed with it and my next bike will be yzf ;)

I suspect that given the improved performance in the new 14 engine, wear and tear will increase. The 4 valve head will probably need more maintenance due to the larger intake valve size. That was one advantage in the 5 valve head. Much smaller intake valves mean less cupping = less adjusting. And because the valves are smaller they weight less and don't hammer the seat as much.

The previous gen indestructable yz250f motor is probably gone but I'm sure the new one will be as good or better than the competition, with the possible exception of KTM.

• Like 1

I suspect that given the improved performance in the new 14 engine, wear and tear will increase. The 4 valve head will probably need more maintenance due to the larger intake valve size. That was one advantage in the 5 valve head. Much smaller intake valves mean less cupping = less adjusting. And because the valves are smaller they weight less and don't hammer the seat as much.

The previous gen indestructable yz250f motor is probably gone but I'm sure the new one will be as good or better than the competition, with the possible exception of KTM.

Yeah thats what i was thinking too.  My buddies at my work have the 14s, and so far they aren't having any problems.  I was thinking the same thing with the new four valve design, but yamaha has reliability down to a science so i don't see anything problems.  Only time will tell.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Offset crank = less wear. The rest of it , start reading the 450 threads, its proven technology now.