The TPS adjustment thread

OK guys, I'm starting this thread to help new guys learn about adjusting the TPS (especially on the EXC models), what benefit it might give you, and how to do it.  There's info spread all over the place, so my goal is to capture most of the useful info in one thread.  Please share your experiences here. 

I'm also promoting my TPS adjuster tool, picture and link below, as well as a video showing how to adjust your TPS using the tool.  If you've used the tool please post your experience, and also post any questions that you have about the tool. 

http://www.tpstool.com

592a295c18945_Model-1_white_full(Small).png.2609f2c6f335751529ce6a4000b6ac92.png

Here is how to adjust your TPS the easy way using this tool: 

For me, adjusting the TPS combined with desmogging completely eliminated the popping on decel and the burbling at small throttle openings.  0 to 1/3 throttle is now very smooth and so easy to control!  Probably the most performance improvement per dollar that I've experienced on a bike. 

Lets hear your experiences! 

Edited by sirthumpalot
Updated links to video and updated picture to better picture
  • Like 4

Great product.  Thanks for getting this out for us!  Set at .61

• Like 1

Yup...great product.

With stock FI map I set .64.

Just had Euro Map installed and set TPS back to .61.

Easy to use....great value for the small bucks !!

• Like 1

i just got my plug from www.tpstool.com and it' works with the triangular 3 prong plugs perfect. Red/black wires are what i used.. This is on my 2014 ktm350xcf. I had adjusted it slightly ccw initially (as that was suggested my many on the ktmtalk forum) but it did not like going FULLY ccw. I rode/raced 25 hours and just checked the position yesterday. It was at .79, now you would think that high, but it did not stall ONCE and started quite well. I did try it at .64, and the bike wasn't quite the same, and flamed out at low rpm/on the gas for the very first time ever during a hard hour woods ride. I went back to the parking area and set it at .69 .. it started fast, and after another hard hour, no stall, and seemed "better". I have not tired below .64 yet, and i have idle set about 2800, and run a rekluse core3.0 sr"A" class harescrambles.

ae6b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! To clarify, there are 2 harnesses available. The black one fits the EXC and XCW, the white one fits the XCF and SXF. Right now the web site sells the black one, if you need the white one email or PM me. Hopefully the white ones will also be listed on the web site soon.

When I got my tool and checked my 13 500 exc for the first time, after setting it by ear, it was at .678. I then brought it down to .601 but was getting low rom flameouts. Last ride I bumped it up to .642 and still had flameouts. I'm running no smog, no screen, stock pipe and a JD tuner. I'm going to set it back to the .67 range and see how that does.

Edited by KTMPete

i just got my plug from www.tpstool.com and it' works with the triangular 3 prong plugs perfect. Red/black wires are what i used.. This is on my 2014 ktm350xcf. I had adjusted it slightly ccw initially (as that was suggested my many on the ktmtalk forum) but it did not like going FULLY ccw. I rode/raced 25 hours and just checked the position yesterday. It was at .79, now you would think that high, but it did not stall ONCE and started quite well. I did try it at .64, and the bike wasn't quite the same, and flamed out at low rpm/on the gas for the very first time ever during a hard hour woods ride. I went back to the parking area and set it at .69 .. it started fast, and after another hard hour, no stall, and seemed "better". I have not tired below .64 yet, and i have idle set about 2800, and run a rekluse core3.0 sr"A" class harescrambles.

ae6b.jpg

Clean your injector, check fuel pressure and readjust.

it's a brand new 2014 ktm350xcf.. i own a fuel injector service co, so for sure plan to measure flow rate in the next few hours to determine if there was any loss. pressure is something to check at some point as well. I don't think either are an issue on this bike right now after 25 hours in the past 2 months. Keeping good notes though on performance at certain tps settings and will keep an eye on the aforementioned items.

it's a brand new 2014 ktm350xcf.. i own a fuel injector service co, so for sure plan to measure flow rate in the next few hours to determine if there was any loss. pressure is something to check at some point as well. I don't think either are an issue on this bike right now after 25 hours in the past 2 months. Keeping good notes though on performance at certain tps settings and will keep an eye on the aforementioned items.

New or not you could have a reduced flow rate. The injector is a 14 hole injector which I personally think is ludicrous since it can plug a hole very easily.  A TPS setting above .64 to run correctly seems a bit high. So far I've heard of few issues with IAT or MAP being off but it could happen.

New or not you could have a reduced flow rate. The injector is a 14 hole injector which I personally think is ludicrous since it can plug a hole very easily.  A TPS setting above .64 to run correctly seems a bit high. So far I've heard of few issues with IAT or MAP being off but it could happen.

i agree. KTM is the only bike to come with so many mulitport injector holes. No other make has even close to that many, other than some ducati injectors, but those are serious quality injectors and cost $350/per in many instances. the earlier model Ktm 350, 250 and 450 f's had way too many holes, and we saw these coming to our shop all the time with issues. Around 2012-13 they used injectors with fewer but larger holes. Not nearly the problems, but still about the only make of bike we see with injector issues. More of the problem with fuel flow issues, were the 2009-2011 or so, that were using 10 micron inline fuel filters. WAY too small.. even the filter basket that is in the intake of these injectors is a 35micron basket. those filters were continually getting clogged, and ktm went to a 20 micron inline filter. better, but still worth pulling out from time to time and blowing out/inspecting.

fwiw.. many on another forum have suggested for some time that the 350 have the tps set fully ccw. No measuring of the tps, just loosen the torx and twist fully ccw. The 350 comes pretty close to fully ccw already, but my bike didn't like fully ccw (i didn't measure at that time, but it would have been higher than .79 that i settled on for the first 25 hrs of use).

Great news! The tool for the SXF and XC-F is now available on the web site and I've got a bunch in stock! Just be sure to select the proper plug when you click the buy-now button! :)

http://www.tpstool.com/

I just ordered one for my EXC so looking forward to using it. Thanks again. Edited by AKTM

Any special process or care that needs to be taken to clean the injector?  I haven't looked at it or done it before so I appologize if that is a stupid question...

Any special process or care that needs to be taken to clean the injector?  I haven't looked at it or done it before so I appologize if that is a stupid question...

send it here www.proflowtech.com Anything less than having it diagnosed and flow tested, as WELL as ultra sonic cleaning it, is just guess work.

• Like 1

Just wanted to leave some feedback on the tps adjustment tool. I have a 2014 350 EXC-F with no mods to improve the performance. The emission is removed though. When I took the first reading (stock), it was at 0.59. I changed it to 0.61 and wow, the difference is night and day on my bike. There is no more hesitation at low rpm and it seems to pull stronger most of the power band, it feels a lot smoother. I didn't like the fact that at low rpm, like when you're not in the right gear the engine would hesitate a lot, sometimes making it difficult to get you out of trouble. This absolutely fixed it.

I highly recommend, this is easy and cheap to buy. Took me about 5 minutes to do the change.

Edited by ti-ben
  • Like 2

2014 500 exc de smoged muffler screen pulled tps set at .64 with excellent tool and runs perfect. Good grunt no pops. Riding at 6000ft can't see a need for aftermarket exhaust

• Like 4

2014 500 exc de smoged muffler screen pulled tps set at .64 with excellent tool and runs perfect. Good grunt no pops. Riding at 6000ft can't see a need for aftermarket exhaust

How did you cut out the screen?

It pulls out. The bung is welded in. The screen is pressed. Drill 3/8 hole then insert flat bladder screw driver and pop out.

Here is welded in bung without screen

Wow that looks nice. Great job!!!! I gutted mine but left the screen on and have been thinking of removing it, just was unsure how to go about it. Thanks Edited by AKTM