The TPS adjustment thread

Mister Sir Thump A Lot,

After watching some of your videos on youtube, I went and orderd the pigtail style TPS tool. I however ordered it without paypal, with creditcard. After my purchase it says I can track it in Paypal, is it however possible to track it without paypal? It is a shipment to the Netherlands.

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 1

Yes, you should receive an automatic email with the tracking number as soon as it ships (my tomorrow morning, middle of your day tomorrow), but I will also email the trk# to you.  ?  Also it's not unusual for the USPS tracking to stop updating once it leaves the USA, but you will see it up to that point.  I believe most to your country take a week or two once they leave the USA.  Thank you very much for your business! 

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

Yes, you should receive an automatic email with the tracking number as soon as it ships (my tomorrow morning, middle of your day tomorrow), but I will also email the trk# to you.  ?  Also it's not unusual for the USPS tracking to stop updating once it leaves the USA, but you will see it up to that point.  I believe most to your country take a week or two once they leave the USA.  

Thanks a million for your quick response. Awesome customer care. I'll keep an eye out on my inbox. Amazon stated it would even arrive before the 20th of september, already thought it would be a bit optimistic. I am in no hurry. Using the 2 banger in the coming weeks, before taking the 450 out again.

One last question for now, I'm going to open up my airbox and have a complete HGS exhaust fitted. Do I have to go a little north of .63. Or what would be a good start with this setup? Could you make an estimate. Or just trial and error?

I usually start low and turn up a little bit at a time, but take a look at this video from my July 23rd post.  These guys do pretty much the same thing you're doing (open air box, exhaust and turn up TPS) and discuss their settings and results.  They basically jump right up from the start.  It's worth a shot, and if you don't like the result you can always go back and start again.  I hope that helps!  

Edited by sirthumpalot

That is for setting it back to factory default.  Resetting to the default on many bikes requires that the throttle plate be fully closed.  There is a video down near the bottom on my videos page that explains how to do it:  

https://www.tpstool.com/tps_tool_howto_videos.htm

If you're going to also adjust the idle while adjusting the TPS then backing the idle all the way out before each adjustment would be a good idea as you'll always have the same reference point, but if you don't adjust the idle speed at the same time then it's not necessary.  

:ride:

Edited by sirthumpalot

it is a 2019 ktm exc 450 with 20 hours. I do not know if the dealer lowered it or something whith delivery service. (I bought it new)

I started the bike (for some reason I do not have 8 secs of power after starter tick) and it was dead set on .48    From what I am reading, I am going to rise it just a little towards .64. Seems te happy spot for a lot of people.

• Like 1

Bumped it to .64 and it started to idle really rough and would eventually stall. So decided to go back down to .60 idles well, picks up well. This is still .12 up from where I started.

Only thing I can think off, is that my 100 euro multi meter is off.  Usually they start at .58 ish and go to .70 without problems. If my multimeter is off, in a negative way. THis could maybe declare???

0.12V jump is a pretty big jump so don't be afraid to try even lower if that's where it runs best.  Don't concentrate on the actual number much, changing the idle also changes the TPS reading (on that year bike) so the low initial reading could have been just because your idle was a little low.  Instead focus on how much you change the setting.  So for example, don't look at the 0.64 reading, look at the +0.16 change.  That was a bit much, so you backed it off to +0.12V from stock,  which is good.  Give that a spin, if it's good then great!  If it still seems a little high then come down a little more.  It's like the fuel screw on a carburetor; in a little, out a little until you find the best spot for your bike.  

Rich and lean can have similar symptoms on a 4-stroke, but in general rich is more likely to cause flameouts and stalls immediately after chopping the throttle.  Lean can cause popping and stumbling and hanging idle, where blipping the throttle causes a slightly high idle for a second or two, then the idle falls.  Generally speaking if you are turning it richer and it starts running worse, then you're too rich.  If you're turning it leaner and it starts running worse then you're too lean.  ? 

• 4 weeks later...

Have you done any of the 2020 bikes yet?  I had the TB off of my 2020 Six Days 500 and the numbers look way different.  I did move the butterfly and see the number change so I am pretty sure I had everything hooked up correctly.   I was using a known good 5volt power source from a vendor who will remain nameless   ?

51 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

I have not had my hands on any of the 2020 bikes yet, but I would love to hear what you are seeing.  Also I'm happy to loan you one of my Pro Powered units if you want to compare and see what a proper tool looks like.  :D  

Please forgive me for the error of my past ways.  I did buy your pigtail for the newer TBs and I put some connectors inline with the "other tool" so I can talk to the newer TB while off the bike.  I have so much disconnected from the bike, I am not seeing voltage at the TPI connection.  And I think its worth noting that there is not much room to work on the TPI system on my Six Days.   I was just interested in getting a baseline.  I don't really plan to adjust it as I am waiting for a GET or Vortex and they normally want the TPI at the stock setting.   It was something like .030 and the movement of the butterfly saw a very smooth transition to a new set of numbers.