The TPS adjustment thread

Thought I'd chime know with my first lot of results.

Exc-f 350 2014. In the UK with an akra slip on.

0.509v.  Cold starting is fine, warm takes a few cranks and alittle twist of the throttle. Haven't heard any popping on deceleration. 

Dropping to 0.465v changed nothing at all. 

Upping to 0.600 made it abit boggy to rev (out of gear). 

I made the changes in smaller numbers 0.2v mainly but the above numbers were most notable. I've not had a chance to ride much at all, so when I do I will report back with anything other findings for my bike/model/location

Just to make sure you've got the throttle body that I think you have (same as the US models); are you using the Model-1 plug and adjusting the idle does not affect the TPS reading, right?  If yes, then I'm a bit surprised that 0.509V was the stock setting.  Also generally speaking, trying to tune in neutral doesn't really give accurate results, you need to ride it to see what it will really do.  :ride: 

On 6/25/2020 at 6:28 AM, sirthumpalot said:

Just to add to the above; I have had a couple of guys over the years mention they were running much higher than average TPS settings, as you mentioned yours was happy at, but it has only been a couple of guys so it's definitely the exception and not the norm, but not unheard of. 

I think you'll find in virtually every case the injector needs cleaning. With the multi hole injectors it's pretty common.

• Like 1

DSC_1668.thumb.JPG.7e5058ea91c76dfc06a62c025dcb6840.JPG

37 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

Just to make sure you've got the throttle body that I think you have (same as the US models); are you using the Model-1 plug and adjusting the idle does not affect the TPS reading, right?  If yes, then I'm a bit surprised that 0.509V was the stock setting.  Also generally speaking, trying to tune in neutral doesn't really give accurate results, you need to ride it to see what it will really do.  :ride: 

Adjusting Idle makes no difference to the TPS value. 

May not be how it came from the factory, as the bike is new to me but not new. 

Wasn't trying to tune from the neutral rev, just see if it made much difference unloaded. At the moment the bike is not road legal so just getting a feel for whats what until it is.

Edited by Slix33

8 minutes ago, Slix33 said:

DSC_1668.thumb.JPG.7e5058ea91c76dfc06a62c025dcb6840.JPG

Adjusting Idle makes no difference to the TPS value. 

May not be how it came from the factory, as the bike is new to me but not new. 

Wasn't trying to tune from the neutral rev, just see if it made much difference unloaded. At the moment the bike is not road legal so just getting a feel for whats what until it is.

It depends on which throttle body you have , as to whether idle effects tps setting.

This is  old knowledge but, since 2017 new throttle bodies, tps settings are changed , by simply moving the idle screw,  thats why its important to check tps setting from a Base line postion with idle screw backed out.

• 2 months later...

Hey r u there ! Sir i have duke 390 2017 model. Iem from india. I live so far from service centre. I have a problem with throttle please sir can u fix that? My throttle doesn’t responding no acceleration in bike . When i start my bike few days ago bike start and then i notice bike start but throttle does not responding can u plzz fix my problem please reply . 

4 minutes ago, sonu mamgain said:

Hey r u there ! Sir i have duke 390 2017 model. Iem from india. I live so far from service centre. I have a problem with throttle please sir can u fix that? My throttle doesn’t responding no acceleration in bike . When i start my bike few days ago bike start and then i notice bike start but throttle does not responding can u plzz fix my problem please reply . 

Welcome from across the world!  As far as I am aware, the TPS on your 390 is not adjustable.  But you can check it to be sure that it has not gone bad.  When you turn the throttle, does anything happen at all?  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting!  The answer depends on whether your TPS is adjustable.  To figure it out, take a look at the mounting screws, if it has multiple screws then remove one but leave the others so it doesn't move.  If the hole is a regular round hole then it's not adjustable.  If the hole is a slot, such that you can rotate the sensor a little bit after loosening the screws, then it is adjustable.  Let us know what you find. 

28 minutes ago, LTJ said:

Hi, I went to the TPS tool website and it linked me here.  Can I adjust my 2016 Ducati SP 939 Hypermotard with this tool?  I'm looking to improve the part throttle and cruizing speed response of the bike.

I know nothing of the hyper motard,  but be advised most fuel injected motors, with o2 sensors, require a specific tps setting, and if you change it, the motor will give codes or not run right at all.

On ktm the keihin throttle bodies and (non 02'd) and ecu's, have allowed this, but dont consider it normal with all fuel injected motors, especially if o2 sensor monitored.

32 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

I know nothing of the hyper motard,  but be advised most fuel injected motors, with o2 sensors, require a specific tps setting, and if you change it, the motor will give codes or not run right at all.

On ktm the keihin throttle bodies and (non 02'd) and ecu's, have allowed this, but dont consider it normal with all fuel injected motors, especially if o2 sensor monitored.

Okay.  I was looking at a piggyback fueler like Bazzaz, but someone suggested I try adjusting the TPI instead.  Thanks for the reply!!!

If your goal is just to clean up the small throttle openings then I wouldn't expect any errors from a TPS adjustment, certainly no more than a piggy back tuner would cause.  If you try the TPS adjustment and it doesn't work out for whatever reason, you can always return it for a refund (I'm the seller).  

53 minutes ago, LTJ said:

Okay.  I was looking at a piggyback fueler like Bazzaz, but someone suggested I try adjusting the TPI instead.  Thanks for the reply!!!

Really depends on the ECU, some are really critical of that tps setting(and it has to be specific) , I dealt with this back about 30 or 35 years ago with fuel injection.

But if you want to experiment , thats okay , motorycle ecu's can be more lenient, atelast on some of the ktm models

On 6/25/2020 at 6:33 PM, _Rice_ said:

I am not sure what "open" hole exhaust means. Can you tell me how to check. From what i can tell the exhaust is not louder than other similar models if this is an indication. I took the end of the muffler off but I didnt see anything weird. It had the "wool" in it. I have a little like between the muffler end cap and the muffler itself but i do not consider this an issue. Would you?

It does only run good with really high TPS settings above .70 so there is an indication that something else is wrong. Could the valves be the root cause of the behaviour? I thought i had the dealer check it but turned out they didn't.

Injector spray pattern looked fine, according to dealer and also the filters didnt show any problems. I have replacements and will replace them anyway.

"then you have other issues, to fix." This is exactly what i am looking for. What issue do i need to fix and how?

Dying down means that if I idle into a corner because of braking, i would then open the throttle in the turn (not necessarily full throttle but it also happens with 1/4 or 1/2 open) and then it just dies.

Here is my solution for the issue i had:

Checked throttle body -> all okay

Checked again injector -> no issues

Replaced ECU with Vortex -> Problem resolved. Now I am not sure whether the vortex doesnt listen to any of the sensors any more or maybe reacts different to them than the stock ECU. I could send the OEM ECU that seems the problem to a ECU tuner shop (blaisracingservices or similar) to read out the mapping and reflash it with Stock or similar settings. But for now i am fine just running the vortex.

Thank you for the input that was provided for my problem. I appreciate it.

15 500 XC-W with Euro Mapped ECU and Larger TB from the 2014 450 SFX.   PowerBomb header with stock exhaust capped with BDSBs endcap and over 600 hours and was rebuilt at 500 hours with new piston/rings/bore only.  Current leakdown is 1.5%

So, 100 hours after the rebuild, mostly being ridden by my son on the street.   I go to ride it and I notice a slight hesitation off idle.  If I work at it, I can make it flame out.   So I cleaned the FI with the Motion Pro Kit, and was careful to backflush it really well and used several solvents.   It was a tad better but still not like it used to be.   Instead of sending the FI off to ProTech, because that fixed my low hour 350 that was not running well I just decided to purchase a new $148 injector.     Put that in and same thing.....arhg.  

I measure the TPS at the idle that I normally ride with....some surge on the rekluse at stop lights and its .66   Remember, it has the TB from an SFX bike so the TPS changes with idle adjustments(red knob).    So, I think I need more because it seems like a fuel starvation problem.    NOT!  Perhaps with the higher TPS setting there is more advance in the ignition timing?     Turns out, after much experimentation that it likes .645 and it now pulls like a freight train after coming to a complete stop where the bike learches backward and with good balance you keep your feet on the pegs...I do this a lot on the pavement.  At .700 it would flame out everytime!  I ended up setting it at .640 so there is some buffer built in and it rips like it always has.   Thanks to SirThump-em-alot

the tool he sells really works a treat!

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

Thanks for posting.  I don't know the value for your 2014 RMZ450, but it is likely in the service manual.  If no one else chimes in with the answer, can you find the service manual online?  

you tool work greath by the way 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guys I have a 2014 450SXF factory edition. I am trying to get my TPS to the factory setting. I have looked through every single page of my service manual and I cannot find a value in there stating what it should be. 

I understand that I need to back the idle adjuster all the way off and set it. Can anyone confirm what the factory setting is for this bike? Is it 0.40v?