The TPS adjustment thread

not wanting to rain on your parade, but isn't the .64v is dependant on your input voltage. each bike will have a SLIGHTLY different voltage depending on battery life etc. 

I done this on my crf which is basically the same process, I used a 5v voltage source from work and set it at the spec, I did note that even slight changes in input volts changed the output voltage.

could't see why this wouldn't be the same on a KTM TPS.

I ended up buying a adjustable voltage step down gizmo from ebay for doing the same process at home if I ever wanted to do it again.

not wanting to rain on your parade, but isn't the .64v is dependant on your input voltage. each bike will have a SLIGHTLY different voltage depending on battery life etc. 

I done this on my crf which is basically the same process, I used a 5v voltage source from work and set it at the spec, I did note that even slight changes in input volts changed the output voltage.

could't see why this wouldn't be the same on a KTM TPS.

I ended up buying a adjustable voltage step down gizmo from ebay for doing the same process at home if I ever wanted to do it again.

The 5 volts is regulated in the ECU and is unaffected by the battery voltage. It's much more accurate to set it on the bike you are using the 5 volt supply that is used when running. Also the .64 volt setting is affected by the idle screw setting. You want to set the TPS after setting the idle speed. Can't do that on a bench.

As PBDBLUE said, the 5v from the bike is tightly regulated and shouldn't change with battery voltage. Also as the throttle opens the TPS voltage goes up, so if you have your idle set high then your tps voltage will be high as well. This is one benefit of the tool; adjustments are fatst and easy so it's very simple to try a few different settings to see which you like best.

My 450 six days seems to run better below 0.630 than with the 0.640 listed.

The bike was 0.58 from the factory and was very rough and hard to start in those tricky parts of a single track when you are standing uphill holding the clutch.

Somebody with euro map said 0.61, what altitude do you often ride? Or the MAP sensor compensates the air density fluctuations?

I tried to make a purchase via Paypal and nothing happened? Are you still selling the TPS tool?

Yes absolutely, I shipped a bunch of them this morning! Maybe the web site had a temporary problem, it seems to be fine now. I will send you a PM.

Edited by sirthumpalot

12 500EXC Was at.58 set it to .64 idle speed went up a little. I have done several rides. Stock pipe, de-smog, I don't need anything more,runs great. TOOL WORKS GREAT!!! THANKS!!!

Which one do I need to suit a new husky FE350?

Unplug your TPS and look at the connector. If the 3 pins are in a strait line then you need the EXC model. If they are arraigned in a triangle then you need the SXF model. I will post some pictures when I am back at home later tonight.

Here are the plug types.  If your TPS plug looks like the black plug with the pins in a strait line then order the EXC model.  If your TPS plug looks like the white triangular plug then order the SXF model:

EXC / XC-W model:

close_up_connectors_EXC (Small).jpg

SXF / XC-F model:

closeup_connectors_sxf.JPG

Just ordered one.

ordered one, dumb question but some guys recommend setting idle to spec first before adjusting the TPS.

How do you measure engine RPM on these bikes?

If you want to know the exact RPM (to set it to the KTM recommended setting) then use a shop tach, or you can use something like the SenDEC / Hardline hour meter with built in tach.  I use this one on my boat and the RPM is accurate enough for setting the idle. 

The reason to set the idle first is that adjusting the idle will make the TPS voltage change.  The TPS voltage changes with the throttle, and adjusting the idle adjusts the throttle setting. 

In the end I think you're best to just set the idle where you want it first, and then try a few different TPS voltages to see which one you like best for your particular bike. 

Would someone with a 2014 350 XCF or a 2014 350 XCF-W please give me a hand and tell me which bike you have, and if your TPS plug is the triangle shape, or the strait line version?  Here are the two types:

Triangle shape: 

closeup_connectors_sxf.JPG

Strait line:

close_up_connectors_EXC_sm.jpg

Edited by sirthumpalot

Would someone with a 2014 350 XCF or a 2014 350 XCF-W please give me a hand and tell me which bike you have, and if your TPS plug is the triangle shape, or the strait line version?  Here are the two types:

Triangle shape: 

attachicon.gifcloseup_connectors_sxf.JPG

Strait line:

attachicon.gifclose_up_connectors_EXC_sm.jpg

they are the same motors as the husky aren't they? if so, you need the black one

I believe the XCF and XCF-W have different motors and I'm trying to verify which is which. :)

Your tool is great Sirthumpalot. Thanks for all the info you have passed on. I tired .64 and it ran much better. Removed spark arrestor and screens added the grunt intake manifold and fmf snap and was at .67 and it was popping on decel pretty bad today I tried .70 and it solved this problem. Next I quess is a jd turner. The guy on best dual sport bike says to run ones with exhaust to .70. So my next ride is Sunday so I'll post back the results. Thanks again.

12' 500 EXC with a JD Tuner and Akra muffler & Rekluse, I have to run my TPS @ 0.52-0.57, any higher and it'll hardly idle. Going down is better. 0.4 is better than 0.62 volts.

Any thoughts as to why mine may be different than what most are seeing for a "good" TPS setting?

The bikes runs pretty good. I have the odd flame out, and a slight snap-throttle bog. Doesn't want to idle that well when the engine is cold, it'll die in about 10 seconds unless you high idle it for a min then it'll hold an idle.

Thanks

Edited by sniper_101

12' 500 EXC with a JD Tuner and Akra muffler & Rekluse, I have to run my TPS @ 0.52-0.57, any higher and it'll hardly idle. Going down is better. 0.4 is better than 0.62 volts.

Any thoughts as to why mine may be different than what most are seeing for a "good" TPS setting?

The bikes runs pretty good. I have the odd flame out, and a slight snap-throttle bog. Doesn't want to idle that well when the engine is cold, it'll die in about 10 seconds unless you high idle it for a min then it'll hold an idle.

Thanks

Are you readjusting idle screw after raising the TPS value, I noticed when I raise mine the idle drops a little, Im guessing because its running richer it needs more air, anything under the factory .60 seems to low and not good for the engine.

Raising the TPS voltage makes it run a little richer. If you've got the JD tuner then that is probably causing it to run richer too, so raising the TPS voltage becomes unnecessary when you use the JD tuner I think.