The TPS adjustment thread

Raising the TPS any higher than 0.54v, no matter the idle speed, causes a rough running engine. I'm not too concerned, but I thought it was interesting mine is so far off of what works for others...

Set at 0.52v and idle set at setting 6 on the Tuner.

Raising the TPS any higher than 0.54v, no matter the idle speed, causes a rough running engine. I'm not too concerned, but I thought it was interesting mine is so far off of what works for others...

Set at 0.52v and idle set at setting 6 on the Tuner.

Since you've already got another fuel map plus the tuner, you're already getting plenty of fuel down low and don't need to enrichen it by raising the TPS voltage.  Most people who raise the TPS voltage are trying to overcome a low end lean condition, but you won't have that with your setup.  So when you raise yours up you're actually getting too much fuel.  I wouldn't worry, set it where it runs best and enjoy.

Is this tool only for the fuel injected models? 2012-2014? I ask because my 2009 530EXC has what looks like a TPS on the carb but I have never read anything about this for the carbed models.

It will work for the carbureted bikes, just match your plug to the picture on the web site. However adjusting the TPS on a carbureted bike will only change the ignition timing, not the fuel mix, so your result probably won't be as drastic as with the fi bikes. I would venture to say that I'm not sure if there's an advantage to tweaking the TPS on a carbureted bike beyond making sure it matches the factory recommended value, but I sure would love to hear the result from someone who has done it.

I wasn't sure what it would do but yes it seems strange to have one on a carb. So it's only function might be to start the spark advance curve when it moves away from the home position. Hmmm. My bike does seem to start easier sometimes when i take the slack out of the cable when pressing the start button.

I also have trouble adjusting idle speed, a slight tweak of the screw and idle will jump from 1400 to 1800. I'll have to play with this a bit.

Edited by bungholio

Quite a few carbureted bikes have a TPS.  Unstable idle can be a few things.  Check your valve clearances and make sure the pilot jet is very clean, a slightly clogged pilot can make the idle unstable as can valves that are overly tight.  Air leaks are another thing that can affect idle, make sure the air boot between the carb and head is tight and doesn't have any cracks or leaks. 

I just did mine today. 2014 350 exc-f with only exhaust screen pulled. It started popping after I pulled the screen. My factory setting was .58 and I went to .64, I get better response now, and less popping(still there). I am in Edmonton and elevation is 2200', does this have any effect, and should I be able to eliminate the popping with more adjustment.

Thanks......Dave

Have you removed the smog parts yet? That can also have a big effect, especially removing the air valve that let's clean air into the exhaust (or plug the pipe that feeds it).

No desmog yet, wanted to do it all at once, when I found out how to do it..... anyone know of a youtube vid that shows what to take off and plug??

thanks.....Dave

It's super easy.  All you need to buy is 2 screws and 2 washers; one big and one small of each.  The KTM part numbers are posted in several posts around here.  This video covers it, but if you buy the 2 screws you won't need the little rubber things he uses:

I have a problem.

I just got my TPS tool from TPSTool.com. Everything was going well. I hooked up the tool and the leads to my meter. My used 500 XC-W showed that the tps was set at 0.77. The previous owner had the " magic mod" done and installed the grunt and snap accessories as well. I just added a Lexx slip-on exhaust. The bike ran quite well, just had the occasional flame out after closing the throttle and then abruptly getting back on the gas (e.g. braking into a turn and accelerating hard out of it).

I decided to adjust the tps down to 0.67. Still everything was fine. Started the bike up and went and hammered some whoops and berms. Still had flame out from going from closed throttle to abrupt open throttle, and the throttle response wasn't great. Come back and set the tps at 0.64 and went and rode the same area again. Throttle response was better, but the top end did not seem to pull as hard as it did at the original 0.77 setting.

Came back and set the tps back at 0.77 for comparison. Bike had a very hard time starting. Decide not even ride it at the 0.77 setting, went to change the tps setting. This is when things get interesting. I hook up the tps tool and nothing. Nothing registers, the meter display stays at 0.00. I try and start the bike. The FI light flashes 6 times. I look up in the manual what the the six flash code means, and it says the throttle position sensor is to high or to low.

No matter what I try I cannot get the tool and meter to display the the tps setting or get the bike to even idle right, let a lone run right. I've blindly tried to adjust the tps hoping to improve the operation of the bike to no avail. I also can't get the 6 flash error code to go a way. I pulled the battery hoping that would re-set something, but it did not do anything.

What's going on? Is it the bike? the tps tool? the meter? Something has to be wrong with the bike or else the 6 flash error code would not have occurred...

I've run out of option/ideas.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

I like my carb.

I doubt it's the tool, but PM me your info and I'll send you another one just to make sure that's not it.  Also look really carefully at the plug and wires on your bike, check to see if any of the 3 wires on the bike itself might have come loose from all the plugging and unplugging.  Second idea, turn the throttle and watch the meter.  If it's 0 volts at idle, but the voltage jumps around when you twist the throttle then maybe your TPS is bad. 

Edited by sirthumpalot

Thanks Sirthumpalot.

I did pull off the tps tool and tried starting the bike and it started, but is hard to start and runs erratic. With the tps tool off the 6 flash error code went a way. So that is an improvement. I just can't set the tps without the tool. Hopefully the new tps tool fixes the issue. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your help. 

Maybe a wire came loose.  I'll send you a return shipping label so you can ship that one back to me and I'll check it out and see if it's something that can be improved.  I've never had one come loose before, but if you make enough of them then I suppose sooner or later it's going to happen.  Your new one will be in the mail tomorrow morning. :)  

Maybe a wire came loose.  I'll send you a return shipping label so you can ship that one back to me and I'll check it out and see if it's something that can be improved.  I've never had one come loose before, but if you make enough of them then I suppose sooner or later it's going to happen.  Your new one will be in the mail tomorrow morning. :)  

Greatly Appreciated! I hope all it is is a loose wire. Since the 6 flash error code went a way, it has gave me hope. I haven't tried again to blindly setting the tps. It is so touchy and I have no idea where it is currently set at.

I'll return ship the other tps tool once the return label comes.

Thanks again.  :thumbsup:

I finally had an opportunity to try the replacement tps tool and it worked! I plugged it in and the display on my meter read 0.65! Not bad for blindly setting the tps.

I road it around the block once, but didn't have time to dial it in. Its still too rich. Since its a XC-W and has been "Magic Modded", I have no Idea where to set it at. I bought it second hand. I'll try 0.61 next and go from there. One thing I hadn't factored in before was the idle setting. It was way way high and I've reduced it down considerably.

Thanks again Sirthumpalot. I really appreciate you sending a new tps tool. I'm even more appreciative that it fixed the problem! I have the old tps tool packaged and ready to ship and will send out tomorrow.

Best regards, 

Great to hear it was a simple fix, thanks for posting back! :) idle speed will definitely affect the TPS voltage at idle, the higher the idle the higher the voltage. Maybe try the stock value, somewhere on the .57-.58 range. Let us know how you do!

I finally had an opportunity to try the replacement tps tool and it worked! I plugged it in and the display on my meter read 0.65! Not bad for blindly setting the tps.

I road it around the block once, but didn't have time to dial it in. Its still too rich. Since its a XC-W and has been "Magic Modded", I have no Idea where to set it at. I bought it second hand. I'll try 0.61 next and go from there. One thing I hadn't factored in before was the idle setting. It was way way high and I've reduced it down considerably.

Thanks again Sirthumpalot. I really appreciate you sending a new tps tool. I'm even more appreciative that it fixed the problem! I have the old tps tool packaged and ready to ship and will send out tomorrow.

Best regards, 

.65 pretty much tells us what the "Magic mod" was for your bike.

Why not put it back to .75-.77 and run it there like when you first got it. Your Lowering it and your still seeing the same symptoms?