The TPS adjustment thread

Why not put it back to .75-.77 and run it there like when you first got it. Your Lowering it and your still seeing the same symptoms?

I decided to adjust the tps down to 0.67. Still everything was fine. Started the bike up and went and hammered some whoops and berms. Still had flame out from going from closed throttle to abrupt open throttle, and the throttle response wasn't great. Come back and set the tps at 0.64 and went and rode the same area again. Throttle response was better, but the top end did not seem to pull as hard as it did at the original 0.77 setting.

Came back and set the tps back at 0.77 for comparison. Bike had a very hard time starting. Decide not even ride it at the 0.77 setting, went to change the tps setting. This is when things get interesting. I hook up the tps tool and nothing. Nothing registers, the meter display stays at 0.00. I try and start the bike. The FI light flashes 6 times. I look up in the manual what the the six flash code means, and it says the throttle position sensor is to high or to low.

I failed to mention earlier that after setting the bike to 0.64, I noticed the idle was super high and adjusted it down. The previous owner had the bike set up with a really high idle and tps setting, but it would flame out a lot. After changing the idle midway through trying different tps settings, I then set it back to the 0.77 and the bike ran like crap after that.

I immediately decided to try a different setting and thats when the tps tool quit working. This left me unable to check how changing the idle affected the tps curve. Lowering the idle made the 0.77 setting super rich, to the point the bike almost wouldn't run.

Fast forward to today after receiving the new tps tool. I set the tps at 0.59, and this made the bike run very lean to the point it almost wouldn't start and would pop and sputter when giving it any gas. Remember I change the idle setting, and thus every tps setting that I had tried earlier was now not relevant.

I then went to the opposite extreme to 0.71 to see how the bike would run. It was to rich. The bike would hardly start and the throttle response was bogging a lot.

I then tried the happy medium at 0.65 and the bike started right up and the throttle response was great. I went and hammered a bunch of whoops and blew up a couple of berms and the bike ran like a champ! No more flame outs and crisp throttle response.

I guess the moral of the story is; adjust your idle setting before you play with your tps setting. It also helps if the tps tool keeps working while you're learning and dialing everything in :D . Luckily this story has a happy ending :ride: . The tps tool allowed me to dial in my bike with crisp throttle response and no more flame outs. Yahoo :thumbsup: .

Thanks everyone for your help, especially Sirthumpalot for sending out a new tps tool.

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Like 1

I've sold a ton of them and that's the first one to quit working, must be a lose wire somewhere. I'll take a look at the bad one when it arrives and see if there's something i can do to make it more heavy duty. But I'm glad we were able to swap it right away and get you going again quickly! Thanks for posting your results. :)

• Like 1

hi guys,

i have a 2014 ktm350exc, desmogged, end screen removed on stock silencer/pipe, ECU remapped at birth by the dealer copying the ´14 350 six days map. ( not sure if its the xcw or EU map).

the bike runs great but I would like more snap from the bottom. ideally, I would like to be able to loft the front wheel as easily as my 250xcw. (maybe that is not possible...)

I am considering adjusting the TPS and purcbasing the TPS tool. I know each bike is different but what would be a good starting point for my bike?

Thanks

I rode some more today and noticed a tiny bit of hesitation when grabbing a hand full of throttle from the closed throttle position on my 2012 XC-W 500. I had set the tps earlier at 0.65 and decided to try a little bit richer seting. I set it at 0.67 and the tiny bit of hesitation went away. I tried 0.69 just to see, and the flameout came back. Set it back to 0.67 and everything seems spot on. My test for flameout is to ride in second gear semi revving the bike and then lock the rear brake hard which would make most bikes stall except I have a Rekluse clutch. I then immediately get back on the gas hard. Bike snaps to attention and runs strong. I'm pleased with how the bike is running. 0.65 was good, but 0.67 is even better for how my bike is set-up.   

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Like 1

hi guys,

I have a 2014 ktm350exc, desmogged, end screen removed on stock silencer/pipe, ECU remapped at birth by the dealer copying the ´14 350 six days map. ( not sure if its the xcw or EU map).

Received the TPS tool. Now reporting back for those with quoted setup

Stock adjustment reading was 0.58. Tried 0.63 and the bike was idling rough and making weird noises (clicking sounds from the throtlle body ... Not sure). Turned it off and reset it to initial setting.

10 min job. TPS tool was easy to use.

Next move will likely be to purchase the map selection switch and see if there is more bark down low without having to puchase a pipe/muffler.

• Like 1

I have ordered just the map switch plugs as I believe I would be on "wild" all of the time anyway. Will try both to see the differences but knowing what I am looking for the "wild" would prolly be my default.

I have ordered just the map switch plugs as I believe I would be on "wild" all of the time anyway. Will try both to see the differences but knowing what I am looking for the "wild" would prolly be my default.

talking about the KTM hard part map switch? there is a dial that has a mounting point under the seat with 10 numbers only 2 of the numbers do anything . wild and mild but you only get to pick ONE of those two, as "standard" will be one of the 2 selections on the bar switch all the time.. there is a plug as well under the seat, super easy instal. For woods riding/racing, i am actually running my bike on "mild" all the time. Standard is pretty healthy on my 2014 350xcf, I have yet to even TRY "wild"...

I do believe your personal map switch is on 'wild' too. I think it might be stuck.

• Like 1

What I got was just the plug, not the switch. You plug it in and leave it. $25 gets you both a "wild" plug and a "mild" plug. I just didn't want another handlebar mount and knowing me, I would just leave it on "wild" and ride anyway. To change the plug I just have to remove the seat.

Well I have the 2014 KTM 500exc with 40hrs on it and figured it was time to wake up the beast. First installed the Blais Racing block off kit.  In the instructions says to turn idle set screw all the way out than back in 17 turns for idle set,did it seems fine.     Had the TPS tool I bought some time back.

Knock out both screens in exhaust,test drove( all tests was done at full operating temp ) ,popping when hot not much seat of the pants difference... time for the TPS tool.

Installed tool and did measurements...0.574v was stock setting TPS. All TPS adjustments done when the motor was cold.

Loosen screw and set it at 0.649v...road test again no seat of the pants difference but could smell it was rich  (I'm at 4000ft elev- in the high desert ).

So I took it down to 0.625v.... road test..OMG the thing came ALIVE!.

Low end grunt better and the top end is insane...came up to 80mph and its still pulling. All around the power is noticeably better.

Before I did anything to the bike (other than block the emission system off) the bike was great,never flamed out popped or anything but the extra power I could gain  was in the back of my mind so I had to give it try.

After opening the exhaust up..I noticed its not really that much louder. Anyway the TPS tool was a cheap and great way to gain some HP.     Thanks sirthumpalot ..... :thumbsup:

Edited by trailheadposer
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback! 

I would like to put some testimonials on the web site.  If you're happy with your TPS tool and wouldn't mind typing a quick note for me to put on the web site the please add it to this thread, I would appreciate it!  If you could also include your first name and city that would also be great.  :)  

• Like 1

I bought a 2014 KTM 500 EXC and rode around about 20 hours with the smog stuff intact. Pop on decel was pretty bad. I blocked off the incoming air to the exhaust air control valve, thinking that might help a bit, but and the popping continued.

I was trying to see what the minimum changes I could do I order to "stop the pop".

I got the TPS Tool and set my TPS to 0.64 went for a ride and not only is the popping gone but the throttle control is a lot better.

I plugged the valve and adjusted the TPS to get the results I wanted.

That's my TPS Report.

Thanks

Edited by Olav
  • Like 1

Well I have the 2014 KTM 500exc with 40hrs on it and figured it was time to wake up the beast. First installed the Blais Racing block off kit.  In the instructions says to turn idle set screw all the way out than back in 17 turns for idle set,did it seems fine.     Had the TPS tool I bought some time back.

Knock out both screens in exhaust,test drove( all tests was done at full operating temp ) ,popping when hot not much seat of the pants difference... time for the TPS tool.

Installed tool and did measurements...0.574v was stock setting TPS. All TPS adjustments done when the motor was cold.

Loosen screw and set it at 0.649v...road test again no seat of the pants difference but could smell it was rich  (I'm at 4000ft elev- in the high desert ).

So I took it down to 0.625v.... road test..OMG the thing came ALIVE!.

Low end grunt better and the top end is insane...came up to 80mph and its still pulling. All around the power is noticeably better.

Before I did anything to the bike (other than block the emission system off) the bike was great,never flamed out popped or anything but the extra power I could gain  was in the back of my mind so I had to give it try.

After opening the exhaust up..I noticed its not really that much louder. Anyway the TPS tool was a cheap and great way to gain some HP.     Thanks sirthumpalot ..... :thumbsup:

Well took it out again this weekend for a hard ride at 6000ft and started popping and found a flat spot in the power band. To lean,should have known..trying to keep gas mpg at max . Reset TPS at .644v and rode it back up. got it good and hot and no flat spots and pulls hard. So anyway this is the setting that works great on my bike.

Don't know why the 1st setting of .649v wasn't that great,maybe I didn't get it hot enough that time

Hesperia Ca

Edited by trailheadpoontang
  • Like 1

Well took it out again this weekend for a hard ride at 6000ft and started popping and found a flat spot in the power band. To lean,should have known..trying to keep gas mpg at max . Reset TPS at .644v and rode it back up. got it good and hot and no flat spots and pulls hard. So anyway this is the setting that works great on my bike.

Don't know why the 1st setting of .649v wasn't that great,maybe I didn't get it hot enough that time

Hesperia Ca

Thanks for all the good info trailheadpoontangjackballtrollertool.

• Like 1

14, 500 EXC, desmogged with a FMF slip on. My local dealer remapped mine and said he went into the "user tool" and tuned it. 

Should I look into the tps position or am i wasting my time on a remapped and tuned bike?

I did all the desmog stuff excert for removing the screen at the end of the exhaust.  Does removing that make the 500exc any louder?  I like to be a bit stealthy.

Thanks