The TPS adjustment thread

On 2/10/2017 at 5:44 PM, Marty690 said:

I may have missed it, but does anyone know the TPS values/numbers for a KTM690 Enduro R 2009. I'm running an akropovic slipon. But would like to know the recommended values/numbers for the stock and modified exhaust  if possible.   Appreciate any help.

Thankyou in advance, cheers

The big adventure bikes are a little different than these small single cylinder bikes.  You might try in the adventure bike forum here: 

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/29-lc4-400610640690950990/

Or over on ADV Rider there is a lot of talk about TPS adjustment on those bikes.  I hope this helps! 

Hi, I asked this in the Husky thread as well, Is there any reason to adjust tps on a 2017 FE 501 with euro map and and fmf 4.1?  I bought a tuner before I got the bike, and supposedly got the remap, and bike seems to run fine with no decel pop, but fan comes on a lot in slow stuff!  Would the cooling it might provide be worth messing with timing? Thanks!

8 hours ago, dslelande said:

Hi, I asked this in the Husky thread as well, Is there any reason to adjust tps on a 2017 FE 501 with euro map and and fmf 4.1?  I bought a tuner before I got the bike, and supposedly got the remap, and bike seems to run fine with no decel pop, but fan comes on a lot in slow stuff!  Would the cooling it might provide be worth messing with timing? Thanks!

If it's running good then I wouldn't worry about the fan coming on.  500cc is a big motor and even in tip top tune it's going to make some heat, the fan coming on in the tight stuff where there's not much air flowing is normal.  KTM/Husky put a fan on this bike for a reason. ;)  There's always potential for improvement by tweaking the TPS to find the best setting for your specific motor, but if it's running good then there's no rush.  With the stock map, which is very lean, you can add more fuel by turning up the TPS a bit.  With a richer map installed you won't need to add fuel, but the TPS isn't always set to the optimal position by the factory and you might get some improvement by tweaking it up or down a tad to see if the low end response improves with a slightly higher or lower setting.  I wouldn't worry about engine damage, but if you're interested in peak performance then it's worth asking around to see what other guys who also run the FMF 4.1 have done for tuning, such as using after market tuners or manual adjustments to the map with the KTM user tool.  I hope this helps! 

I have a 2007 690 SM, will this adjustment solve my stalling issues? This is basically only adjusting the THAD sensor, will I need to adjust the APAD sensor as well using Tune ECU?

Thanks!

I cannot promise that it will solve your issues 100%, but I can tell you that the adventure bike guys report very significant improvements after getting  their TPS properly adjusted.   Check out the adventure bike forums here, and the advrider.com forums and you should find a ton of adventure bike specific TPS info.  

Can someone direct me to setting TPS on 2010 KTM 690R? I have the TPS tool, just not sure where to plug it in and what the setting should be? Bike has two sensors on each side of throttle body. 

Has anyone any experience with setting for altitude?  Does altitude matter for a FI bike?

I have been running .64 on my 13 500exc for 9000-12000ft, I was talking to the dealer last month and they said they are running anything up to .74 on their bikes.

What do you guys think?

On 2/19/2017 at 7:14 PM, dslelande said:

I've been asking around trying to figure out the same thing for my 17 450 excf. My experience with the bike completely stock was it getting very hot and the check engine light popping on. It never boiled over that I noticed, but it did start to smell like coolant.... I put on the euro/off-road map and the 4.1 and had no decel pop like your experience. I took it up into the forest this weekend running a lot of long hills and some really tight trails hopping around logs and such with the fan on quite a bit, but no check engine light and no coolant smell... still looking for others' experiences with this set up, but I'm not too worried yet. My buddy's 16 500 sits on the fan quite a bit but he's never had it boil over in the tight stuff either.

I noticed a lot of people with the 17 ktm 500 there stock tps was .58 when I checked mine it was .54 and I put it at .60 . The tps tool worked awesome

On 3/11/2017 at 9:44 AM, 2whlin said:

Can someone direct me to setting TPS on 2010 KTM 690R? I have the TPS tool, just not sure where to plug it in and what the setting should be? Bike has two sensors on each side of throttle body. 

Check out the thread I linked below which should cover just about everything on the 690 FI.  Your 690 is quite a bit different than the bikes being discussed here.  Your bike has 2 TPS and they are set to different values.  This thread explains it pretty well.  I hope this helps! 

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-690-efi-idiots-guide.931664/

Edited by sirthumpalot

Many of the previous year bikes (mine included) also came set under .60v from the factory.  On the 2017 it's difficult to compare exact numbers because adjusting the idle will change the TPS reading and not everyone has the same idle setting.  I wouldn't doubt that many are similar from the factory, but once they're out in public and people start adjusting the idle then at that point you can't really compare numbers directly.  On the 2016 and earlier EXC bikes the idle did not affect the TPS so it was easier to compare numbers directly.  

The fan running does not indicate a problem, KTM put a fan on it for a reason. ;)  Adding more fuel can make it run cooler, but the fan running does not indicate that anything is wrong.  Mine runs on every ride, non-stop when I'm in sugar sand single track in summer.  But if you have lights coming on, then that is definitely something to check out.  

Being in S. Florida I can't speak about high altitude at all. In theory the FI should adjust automatically, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone that rides at high altitude.  

Edited by sirthumpalot
14 hours ago, rcarson4 said:

I've been asking around trying to figure out the same thing for my 17 450 excf. My experience with the bike completely stock was it getting very hot and the check engine light popping on. It never boiled over that I noticed, but it did start to smell like coolant. ... I put on the euro/off-road map and the 4.1 and had no decel pop like your experience. I took it up into the forest this weekend running a lot of long hills and some really tight trails hopping around logs and such with the fan on quite a bit, but no check engine light and no coolant smell... still looking for others' experiences with this set up, but I'm not too worried yet. My buddy's 16 500 sits on the fan quite a bit but he's never had it boil over in the tight stuff either.

So I've got a 17 501 and experienced the same thing. On the street when stopped at a light for a long time it would get too hot and the check engine light would come on. I adjusted my TPS from .55 (stock) up to .62 and it hasn't happened since. Everything else is stock. It does also seem to be happier in the lower rev range. Not a significant change in power anywhere though, but again, still completely stock intake, exhaust, etc. And stock ECU map.

EDIT: I also stripped the top screw of the TPS cover during the PITA process. They locktited the shit out of those little screws. In the end, I left it out, and have just the bottom screw on the cover. This way I won't need to rotate the Throttle Body again if I need to readjust.

Edited by FortunateJon

For next time you encounter thread locker; heat usually loosens it right up.  Not get out the torch hot, but for small screws if you have a soldering iron or heat up a nail and hold it on there for a short time, that can help thread locked screws come loose much  more easily.  

17 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

For next time you encounter thread locker; heat usually loosens it right up.  Not get out the torch hot, but for small screws if you have a soldering iron or heat up a nail and hold it on there for a short time, that can help thread locked screws come loose much  more easily.  

Yea, that's what I did for the other screw. But the first one had already succumbed to my rage lol.

Has anyone here got the 2017 450 6-days, and can you verify that it's got the same TPS plug as the other 2017 models (TPSTool Model-3)?  I'm 98% sure it's the same, but would love to hear from someone who has one. :)

Hello, I have the '17 450 exc-f and used the tps tool model 3 with it. Worked flawlessly! Stock setting was .54 and I adjusted to .60 just as a guess. Been running this way for a few weeks now no problems. I have the off-road map and the screen in the exhaust cap removed. Prior to adjusting the TPS I had tons of popping and it felt pretty awful. As was mentioned in a another post, I too had my check engine come on once in traffic. Since adjustment zero popping, pulls hard every gear and no lights. I'm not much of a poster but this site has helped me a lot over the years. Thank you for quick shipping on tps tool, its awesome. Hope this helps!

Does anybody know the recommended setting for a 2014 Husky FC 450? I assume it would be the same as the KTM...

The bike also has a Power Commander installed by the previous owner, I was wondering if this will affect the numbers at all. Anybody happen to know?

48 minutes ago, Muffintop said:

Does anybody know the recommended setting for a 2014 Husky FC 450? I assume it would be the same as the KTM...

The bike also has a Power Commander installed by the previous owner, I was wondering if this will affect the numbers at all. Anybody happen to know?

First take the current reading so you can go back if you want to start over.  Then increase it by 0.02v and give it a test run.  If it's better then increase it again.  Repeat as long as you see improvement.  If the previous owner has it mapped correctly via the Power Commander, then I'm guessing you will probably end up somewhere in the ballpark of 0.60v.  Every bike is a little different, so it's worth moving it up and down a little to see where you like it best.  

Im a new owner a of 2012 500 EXC and since i got it its starts roughly (needs 5-8 turns to start).

I figures i should start with the TPS adjustment and see what happens. 

Checked TPS position today and it was at 0.56 wich is way off after reading this thread. Tried 0.61 0.62 0.63 0.635 0.64, and seems like the throttle is happiest at 0.635 wich is what i set it up initially. 

The throttle is better, and seems like the backfires sattled down to a point they allmost gone as far as i can tell. Problem is its still starts roughly.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

I thought about taking the injector out and clean it (looks like a pain to get to it), anything else to check?

Thanks.

Edited by Earthmover