The TPS adjustment thread

Little update, i've checked the value this morning with a correct idle setting, according to my ears.

It was 0,545 V (now i know why i was lean...)

I push to 0,595V and try it.

Way better, no more hanging idle.

I'll try 0,61 V to see if there's a improvement.

Little update, i've checked the value this morning with a correct idle setting, according to my ears.

It was 0,545 V (now i know why i was lean...)

I push to 0,595V and try it.

Way better, no more hanging idle.

I'll try 0,61 V to see if there's a improvement.

20 hours ago, oldfuddy said:

Just a shout out of thanks to Sirthumpalot.... coming up in a few days a 3 year thread going strong with over 100K views and no sign of slowing down... Great job! emoji106.png

Thanks, but the credit goes to all you guys!  Such an excellent crowd here, bringing the info and helping each other out.  What an awesome forum to participate in! 

.63 was perfect for me

On 18.3.2017 at 1:46 AM, Ud_Luz said:

Hopefully this is the issue. Idle speed is around 2,000 also, a bit higher than the old RFS or RC4.

Little update. Looks like my bike didnt came with in-line tiny fuel filter altho i baught one befor i checked. I guess my filters are only in the fuel pump. I took out the injector toady and cleaned it, the bike starts a better when cold but still have long cranking from time to time while hot (after a ride) and gives a rich mixture smell for a sec after it started up. Any more ideas? Im thinking on try and move the TPS to around 0.62 and check (currntly sits on 0.63).

Edited by Earthmover
17 minutes ago, Earthmover said:

Little update. Looks like my bike didnt came with in-line tiny fuel filter altho i baught one befor i checked. I guess my filters are only in the fuel pump. I took out the injector toady and cleaned it, the bike starts a better when cold but still have long cranking from time to time while hot (after a ride) and gives a rich mixture smell for a sec after it started up. Any more ideas? Im thinking on try and move the TPS to around 0.62 and check (currntly sits on 0.63).

If it didn't have the small filter than very likely the injector is dirty. If you're having a rich smell when hot on starting and it's difficult to start, I'd be more inclined to look at the ignition. Have you replaced the plug yet? 

I'm guessing it's rather dry in Israel so likely this isn't an issue but unplug and inspect the wire to the ECM for corrosion along with every other wire you can get to. Also there's a chance you need to adjust the valves if it's only happening on hot start. How many hours are on your bike?

Install the filter I linked to, especially if you don't have the small inline one. Don't even bother ordering the little one, just use the large one.   

10 minutes ago, Ud_Luz said:

If it didn't have the small filter than very likely the injector is dirty. If you're having a rich smell when hot on starting and it's difficult to start, I'd be more inclined to look at the ignition. Have you replaced the plug yet? 

I'm guessing it's rather dry in Israel so likely this isn't an issue but unplug and inspect the wire to the ECM for corrosion along with every other wire you can get to. Also there's a chance you need to adjust the valves if it's only happening on hot start. How many hours are on your bike?

Install the filter I linked to, especially if you don't have the small inline one. Don't even bother ordering the little one, just use the large one.   

No corrosion problems on the wiring.

I baught the bike with 316 houres on the clock 3 weeks ago and since then changed the oil and air filter, allso adjusted the valves (did a ton more but thats the engine related stuff). Spark plug i didnt replaced yet, will do next week. As for the filter youv recommended, its gonna cost me around 40$ to get one shipped to me (no locally to be found) so im looking for other options too.  

Edited by Earthmover
4 minutes ago, Earthmover said:

No corrosion problems on the wiring.

I baught the bike with 316 houres on the clock 3 weeks ago and since then changed the oil and air filter, allso adjusted the valves (did a ton more but thats the engine related stuff). Spark plug i didnt replaced yet, will do next week. As for the filter youv recommended, its gonna cost me around 40$ to get one shipped to me (no locally to be found) so im looking for other options too.  

No need for that.  Look for a 5/16" inline filter between 10 and 15 microns for fuel injection. It needs to be for FI because the pressures are high enough standard filters may rupture if the element fails. 

After a great ride yesterday, .61V is the right setting for me, better start, good throttle response and no hesitations. 

Edited by pierr0

i did set up my tps last night . on 2017 they hare not accessible like pre model . i did not put back cover .

my dealer told me it was euro mapped . so it always a good thing to check tps . it was .52 but idle is on the low side . i did raised it to .594 will try it today . i have remove reeds valve in air box open up end cap muffler , open up air box and de-smog .

if it euro mapped best way to check if it realy mapped  is i remove the air valve and i not suppose to have a check engine code ? 

by the way , husky air box without reed valve don't fit ktm . the clearance for shock ...

Edited by cisco 1

I just adjusted the TPS sensor on my 2015 350xcf. The bike is Euro mapped with the factory exhaust. I had the full FMF factory 4.1, but the deceleration backfiring was unbearable, so I removed it in the summer of '15.
The reading at 2050rpm idle was - .653. Next I shut the bike down, dialed my idle knob out until it stopped dropping my reading, and got my baseline - .568.
I raised the reading to .638, tightened the sensor back up, cranked the idle knob until the bike would start, and adjusted idle back to 2050rpm...final reading .722.
I ran the bike up and down Guanella Pass road to put it through it's paces. The bike starts right away now, has very snappy throttle response off of idle, and (most importantly) does not backfire when chopping the throttle anymore. I dug out the FMF system and gave it another try...same great results.
Big thanks to sirthumpalot - the TPS tool made the process easy. I know .07 right out of the gate was a big step, but there was no doubt the bike was just way too lean.
Just a reminder to anyone following my steps, idle adjustment only impacts the sxf and  xcf models.

Any 'backdoor' route to getting a reading without the bike being started on a 16 350xcf? 

NVM, figured that part out. Stock is .51, what direction to go? Bike feels a little dirty off idle otherwise runs perfect, starts perfect etc etc.. 

Edited by Monk
Figured it out..

Mine  stock was .51 I went up to .61.  It seemed lean off the bottom w the 4.1 slip on is why I went up. If it feels fat off the bottom you might want to try going the other way. I did just add the fuel rail so im curious to see if that had an change to it when it warms up. 

@SimsNT The 2017 EXC is like the SX/XC-F, adjusting the idle does move the throttle plate. 

Ultimate solution for you guys who mod your bike (aftermarket exhaust, uncork the 2017, etc...); pickup your TPSTool AND get your ECU remapped all in one stop!  Feedback has shown that the ultimate solution for a modified bike is to remap for more fuel, then dial in the TPS for your specific motor.  So I've teamed up with Blais Racing Services to offer everything in one stop:  

https://blaisracingservices.com/ktm-husqvarna-euro-map-ecu-re-programming.html

If you take advantage, please post back your results here!  

Congrats Sirthumpalot., keep up the great work. 

Nice link to Blais. There ECU looks sweet, seems a little pricey, but I don't know how much $$ there going for theses days, i know there was another company who i wont mention that u could buy a bran new ECU from, and they would program it, and send it to u.  , but i forget how much they were charging for that, or if they, are still doin it at all.  Thoughts?

Congrats Sirthumpalot., keep up the great work. 
Nice link to Blais. There ECU looks sweet, seems a little pricey, but I don't know how much $$ there going for theses days, i know there was another company who i wont mention that u could buy a bran new ECU from, and they would program it, and send it to u.  , but i forget how much they were charging for that, or if they, are still doin it at all.  Thoughts?

Chris isn't providing a new ECU, he sends out your ECU for remapping.

On a side note, if one is ever in the Apple Valley/Hesperia area and needs some motor work, Chris does great work :thumbsup:

post-1611-0-56270100-1484405360_thumb.jpg.4fbaa52cad10ee290730284b2e0a6ed2.jpgi posted this in another thread, but I found my answer with some investigation:

Hello,

I am trying to adjust the TPS on my ’17 FC 450.

I have the TPS tool, and have tried 2 different multimeters. I keep getting odd number.

With the multimeter hooked up to the tool, black to black, red to red, and the multimeter set to DCV at 20, just like every video I have seen; I get readings of 4.45 on both multimeters. changing the readout on the multimeter does not give me any results even close to .5-.6

What am i doing wrong? I have noticed if i hook the meter up, red to green and black to black on the tps tool, i get a reading of -.53

that is the only thing close to .5

help

thanks

What I found:

my tps tool is wired totally wrong. it is not like the one in this picture.  mine is wired green, black, red.

see mine in the second pic.

image1.JPG

post-203515-0-65067000-1484181888_thumb.jpg

Edited by kylant

here is a bigger pic of the correct wiring of the tool:

post-203515-0-65067000-1484181888_thumb.jpg.2f395c2b8e59aab6d03cd9a42588bc73.jpg

as you can see mine is completely different

please help

ugh. can’t get a bigger picture to load. this pic is on page 40 of the thread

maybe this one from amazon will load

71xBY1652gL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by kylant

prior to the 2017 harness,it was the black and red wire that you took the reading from

Problem solved.  This was one of the very first TPSTools, there were a small handful that went out with the color of the wires in a different order.  The tool works fine, but the colors were not as intuitive.   I sent him the newer tool this morning, he should have it in a couple of days. :)