The TPS adjustment thread

@SuperSteveEXC  --  If the dealer used a tuner and did it right then you shouldn't have to tweak the TPS, but it never hurts to make sure it's in the proper position.  I would judge by how it runs. If it runs great then no need to fiddle with it, if it feels lean on bottom then tweaking the TPS can help.

@scott72 -- The purpose of the screen is to reduce sound so I imagine that removing it is going to increase the volume.  I'm like you, I want to be as stealth as possible, so I left mine in and it runs great. 

I just ordered one of these today, how long will it take to receive the tool?  I'm in Northern Ca.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I have a question for Sirthumpalot….I remember reading earlier in the thread that Altitude does play a role in the TPS setting.  Even though I had thought the Fuel Injection (2013 500 EXC demosgged and remapped EU) made the altitude a no-brainer……I am pretty sure I read that the altitude does play a role.  

Can you explain to me/us how the altitude effects the TPS and Fuel Injection and how the TPS could change? Would the TPS change depending on altitude - Set at .65 at Sea Level but it would change at 7000 feet?  Or does it just need to be re-set to a different point at each altitude?

I can see how the tool would be needed more often for someone like myself as I ride one weekend in Mojave Desert area, and Mammoth Lakes area the next weekend at 9,000 feet up.  Sure feels like my bike does run a little stronger up there……but it's never wrong:)

Thanks for the tips!

I just ordered one of these today, how long will it take to receive the tool?  I'm in Northern Ca.  Thanks.

I'm not sure which was your order, but I shipped a couple to CA yesterday and the tracking info shows they should be delivered on the 9th (Thursday).  PayPal will have your tracking info.  If you ordered later in the day yesterday then yours will ship today. :)

I have a question for Sirthumpalot….I remember reading earlier in the thread that Altitude does play a role in the TPS setting.  Even though I had thought the Fuel Injection (2013 500 EXC demosgged and remapped EU) made the altitude a no-brainer……I am pretty sure I read that the altitude does play a role.  

<....snip....>

The fuel injection does take altitude into consideration automatically so I doubt you will need to re-adjust the TPS when you change altitude.  It wouldn't hurt to bring it with you and experiment, but I would not expect any changes to be necessary. 

I have to give Sirthumpalot praise. He goes above and beyond in his customer support with the TPS Tool. I had an issue that he patiently walked me through.

Thanks,

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Like 1

This is for the guys who aren't as familiar with electrical stuff:   On some meters there are multiple locations where the test leads can be plugged into the meter, and you have to be sure to plug into the correct holes in the meter.  The black lead should go into the hole marked "COM", which stands for common ground.  The red lead should go into the hole marked "V" which stands for voltage.  Some meters have extra holes for measuring current, these are typically marked with "A".  You must plug into the COM and the V holes in the meter, and then set the meter to DC voltage.  Some meters combine V and A in the same hole and this is OK, just be sure to use the hole marked with a V.  If you have any questions then let me know before you get started and I will help you out.  Below are some pictures of meters plugged in and set the correct way.  I hope this helps.  :)

Correct:

meter-1.JPG

Correct:

meter-2.jpg

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 2

I'm not sure which was your order, but I shipped a couple to CA yesterday and the tracking info shows they should be delivered on the 9th (Thursday).  PayPal will have your tracking info.  If you ordered later in the day yesterday then yours will ship today. :)

Awesome, thanks for your quick response.  I already got the tracking info. Thanks again.

Tps adjusted and my bike is now desmoged, what a difference. Way more responsive and easy 4th gear wheelie

• Like 1

what makes sure the tps is always getting 5 volts? Is there a way to test that with the meter

Just received my tps tool, so I drilled out my screen, adjusted tps from .61 to .65 and no more hesitation, no more popping on decel, super smooth throttle response.  Easy to keep throttle at a constant speed now.  Bike was already desmogged, so this is all from just the tps and drilling screen out.

what makes sure the tps is always getting 5 volts? Is there a way to test that with the meter

You can check it if you want, start the bike or make sure the battery is fully charged with a charger or by running the bike for several minutes, then put your meter on the black and green (or white) wires.

Hi, .. just ordered mine for a 450 EXC 2014 BUT do have a simple question .

What's about the physical idle adjustment ... if my idle is adjusted higher the Valve is more open from the beginning!

a) Do same measurements apply?

B) Do I need to run and trial several times to find my best setup?

c) What is the Factory setup supposed to be & how is the setup process defined in the Workshop Manuals for the mechanics?

d) Does the setup require the valve to be fully closed for basic adjustment?

Txs,  Klaus

The idle adjustment does affect the TPS voltage at idle since raising the idle does open the throttle.  If you run your idle higher than spec, then try this; it seems that most TPS come from the factory in the neighborhood of .58V.  So before you adjust anything, measure yours.  Add the difference between .58 and your reading to your target value as a starting point.  For example, if you want your target value to be .64V and as-is yours measures .60V, then add the difference to .64V and start there.  So in this case your first adjustment would be .66V.  Did I explain that clear?  Use this for a starting value, but definitely try a few values higher and lower to see what you like best. 

I have not received my TPS tool yet.  Though, I am wondering if people are making their adjustment with the bike running.  And, if there are any disadvantages of measuring the voltage in this manner.  I have a 350 XCF W and it seems a bit inefficient to briefly hit the start button to get a few seconds of voltage and then quickly dink around with the TPS.  thx.

I am goin to tune my bike with the stock 0.581 completely closed, then adjust to 0.64 at idle and see if there is any dyno difference. 

I know it would alter the fuel, and ignition, but will it be worth time in proper dyno numbers

I am goin to tune my bike with the stock 0.581 completely closed, then adjust to 0.64 at idle and see if there is any dyno difference.

I know it would alter the fuel, and ignition, but will it be worth time in proper dyno numbers

It's not intended to increase HP numbers, though I will be curious to see your results. The main benefit is to clean up the bottom end, especially at small throttle openings, and it really cleans it up significantly.

• Like 1