The TPS adjustment thread

Can anyone tell me what the factory stock setting (throttle plate closed) is for the 2016 450sxf?  

Need some help... Brand new 2017 FE250 that I had sent the suspension off to be redone. While it was down, I installed an emissions delete kit and installed the TPS reader.

Bike is now back together and have been playing with the TPS adjustment and have settled on .63, but now I have the FI light come on steady after a few minutes of running. First, what does a solid FI light mean and second, could this be related to the TPS reader constantly installed while I tune or more emissions delete related? Bike runs great other than the FI light being on. 

Anyone have a similar experience?

Hello. I´m working on a 2017 ktm 500 exc f with a FMF F4.1 exhaust with the tps tool, The bike was originally set to a .58 value, went up to .68 and down to .52 on .02 increments. the bike stills explode and flame out when closing the throttle and it stalls when I abruptly open the throttle.

Did notice smoke and unburned gas at .68 value and a Stalling like sound at .52.

Wich value should I been looking for to avoid the this issues ?

Thanks

I set my 2017 EXC 500 TPS at .72 After trying almost all voltages. I also experienced popping and flameout. To remedy this, I put a plug in my smog tube on the right side of the motor. There is a tube that has a fitting on the right side of the motor connected to a piece of plastic valve. Once I put a plug in the hose the popping went away I then tried various voltages on my TPS And found that .72 was the best. I also removed my intake reads from my air box as well as pulled the screen out of my exhaust, just the end cap part. My bike seems to be running flawlessly with the best power so far.

On 3/5/2018 at 10:09 PM, kkim said:

Need some help... Brand new 2017 FE250 that I had sent the suspension off to be redone. While it was down, I installed an emissions delete kit and installed the TPS reader.

Bike is now back together and have been playing with the TPS adjustment and have settled on .63, but now I have the FI light come on steady after a few minutes of running. First, what does a solid FI light mean and second, could this be related to the TPS reader constantly installed while I tune or more emissions delete related? Bike runs great other than the FI light being on. 

Anyone have a similar experience?

If you unplugged the AIS valve servo thing, you'll get a CEL. You can just leave it plugged in to the wiring harness (just pull the air hoses), and the CEL goes away. Or you can get a delete plug from one of the vendors (can't remember who sells it).

Edited by jrodicus100
On 3/14/2018 at 3:05 PM, sdanielvs said:

Hello. I´m working on a 2017 ktm 500 exc f with a FMF F4.1 exhaust with the tps tool, The bike was originally set to a .58 value, went up to .68 and down to .52 on .02 increments. the bike stills explode and flame out when closing the throttle and it stalls when I abruptly open the throttle.

Did notice smoke and unburned gas at .68 value and a Stalling like sound at .52.

Wich value should I been looking for to avoid the this issues ?

Thanks

You'll need to desmog the bike if you haven't already. Then remove the reeds. Then set TPS back to stock, and buy a JD Tuner. 

You guys really shouldn't be touching the TPS on the '17 and newer bikes. It just doesn't work as well as the older bikes. Just spend the $200 on the JD Tuner and be done with it!

8 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

If you unplugged the AIS valve servo thing, you'll get a CEL. You can just leave it plugged in to the wiring harness (just pull the air hoses), and the CEL goes away. Or you can get a delete plug from one of the vendors (can't remember who sells it).

Thanks for your input. Servo AIS valve was left intact and have since bought a dongle to allow its removal. I've done some playing around since my post and have found if I back the TPS setting to .57, I get no FI light. Maybe the 17 FE250's are set a bit tighter emissions wise than previous years? In any case, I've bought a JD tuner so I can leave the TPS at the stock setting and play with the fuel mixture with the tuner instead. Hopefully I'll not get the FI light using the tuner. I've not yet installed the tuner, so we'll see.

Tuner is the way to go! :thumbsup:

With the 17's and 18's the TPS adjustment works great if the bike is close to stock.  But if you open the exhaust and the intake then a tuner is really needed to get enough fuel.  A TPS tweak can still help make the bottom end perfect after adding a tuner.  I'm selling a ton of TPSTools for the new bikes and getting good feedback. 

Also with the 17's and newer you cannot just pick a TPS number.  Changing the idle moves the throttle plate which affects the TPS reading.  So all you do is take an initial reading to see where it's at, then go up or down 0.02V at a time testing in-between.  Just like adjusting the fuel screw on a carburetor (for those of us old enough to remember carburetors), up a little, down a little until you find the best spot, nothing to it.  :) 

I don't go by the voltage   I adjust the TPS  by how it runs 

If its lean it will have a little flat spot right off idle  now move the TPS when it smooths out Done.

you can log down the Voltage so you know were it is at .

Numbers mean squat to me it's how it runs  

2014 500 EXC. I get no voltage at the tps with key on and kill switch off. What am I doing wrong ? I've tried with the KS on and off.

2 hours ago, nomad221 said:

2014 500 EXC. I get no voltage at the tps with key on and kill switch off. What am I doing wrong ? I've tried with the KS on and off.

Kill switch has to be in run mode

My 2018 350 ESXF was set to 55 from the factory. I set mine to 65 and it seems much better now.

If you have trouble getting to the TPS on the 2018 bikes, just loosen the air box clamps (2 forward, 1 rear) and rotate the entire assembly toward you when working on the shifter side of the bike. This will allow you to access the upper phillips head screw.

On 2/22/2018 at 9:16 PM, sirthumpalot said:

Can anyone tell me what the factory stock setting (throttle plate closed) is for the 2016 450sxf?  

There is no one stock setting as it will vary from bike to bike.

I think you can expect it to be somewhere in the upper 50's on most bikes.

7 hours ago, HKGuns said:

There is no one stock setting as it will vary from bike to bike.

I think you can expect it to be somewhere in the upper 50's on most bikes.

Actually there is.  The service manual for my '16 350 XCF-W specifies a value.   I don't have the service manual in front of me but I want to say it was something like 0.601 volts.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

But they do seem to vary quite a bit from Bike to Bike from what I have read.......Thanks for the correct info.

22 hours ago, HKGuns said:

But they do seem to vary quite a bit from Bike to Bike from what I have read.......Thanks for the correct info.

You are correct that the settings vary from bike to bike.  They vary mostly because on the current bikes changing the idle will change the TPS reading, and it's normal for different bikes to have slightly different idle settings.  But to set the baseline typically the service manual will give you a specific value to set when the throttle plate is fully closed.  Then you set the idle and that will put you back at the factory setting, if that's your goal. :)  

Has anyone experienced lower voltage numbers?  When I hooked up the tps tool on my '16 500 EXC it read .38 and the max adjustment took it to .56 at full stop against the screw, won't move further.  Am I doing something wrong?  Battery seemed good but I've put it back on a tender and will check again this evening.