sirthumpalot

The TPS adjustment thread

I have adjusted the tps opened up the exhaust and removed the smog parts. The bike runs really good now so the question of the day is, should I load the European map or leave it as is?

I have adjusted the tps opened up the exhaust and removed the smog parts. The bike runs really good now so the question of the day is, should I load the European map or leave it as is?

IMO, adjusting the TPS, removing the smog, and opening up the exhaust makes the bike run good.....the Euro map makes it run great!

Euro map installed, wow what a difference! smooth linear power, more responsive, way more bottom end power. TPS still at .67 and I think I will leave it there.

Edited by 500bigbore
  • Like 1

I must have missed the post.. what tuner are you using? Does KTM sell a factory tuner like Yamaha?

Euro map installed, wow what a difference! smooth linear power, more responsive, way more bottom end power. TPS still at .67 and I think I will leave it there.

Shocked you found someone in CA to change it.... I am looking for someone to do it for me. Can you PM the info on where to have this done?

Hey I have 2014 500 xcw I have the performance map with the ignition 3 position switch option. Is the xcw map the same as the euro map ? I've heard many different things. I did get the tps tool and changed it from .58 to .64 and wow what a difference!

• Like 1

It's an active sensor, it has to be powered to give a reading. The easiest way is to use the power supplied by the bikes ecu. The challenge is getting to the wires to take a measurement while it is powered by the ecu, because the connectors are water tight and there's no access. The TPS tool allows you to access the wires to take a reading while the ecu is powering the sensor.

Watch the video at www.tpstool.com and you will see how it works

Edited by sirthumpalot

You either need the tool or you can probe your wires to get a reading, but that can damage your harness or connector's. The tps tool makes it really easy to check your voltage with out damaging your wire's. I'd like to say thanks sirthumpalot for making these tools!

• Like 1

To clarify; making holes by forcing the probes into the wires or the plug will in the least create a hole where water can get in and allow corrosion to start. So poking holes in the wires or the plug might work to get a reading, but could lead to long term problems when water gets in and the wires or plug start corroding. With the tool you don't have to poke any holes.

I'm curious if people are setting and forgetting their TPS or if they are altering their summer, high altitude, hot temp configuration to go to a winter, low altitude, cold temp configuration. My 14 350XCF-W still isn't broken in, so I haven't really experimented with it yet.

In theory you can set and forget since the ECU does adjust for altitude and temperature.  But it is an open loop system on the USA models, so depending on how perfect KTM got the maps, it is possible that tweaking could help with drastic changes in temp or altitude.  I'm curious to know too, anyone try tweaking the TPS when altitude or temps change drastically?  I'm in FL myself, high altitude is about 100' and temps get all the way down to about 55F for a couple days over winter, so my testing grounds aren't the best for this particular question. ;)

Interesting......the starting voltage was .56 on my 2014 exc 500. Set at .61 now. Could not have been any easier to do! Now just need to test.

• Like 1

Did a test ride......the low rpm farting is gone...but I did have my first flame out going from 3rd to 2nd gear. No biggie just pulled the clutch and bump started it back to life while it was rolling. Gonna try .62 now and see what that does.

Desmogged and screen pulled...14 exc 500..stock map

Edited by Roseburg

Did a test ride......the low rpm farting is gone...but I did have my first flame out going from 3rd to 2nd gear. No biggie just pulled the clutch and bump started it back to life while it was rolling. Gonna try .62 now and see what that does.

Desmogged and screen pulled...14 exc 500..stock map

You may want to go with .64, that's what worked for me at least.
  • Like 1

Any special process or care that needs to be taken to clean the injector?  I haven't looked at it or done it before so I appologize if that is a stupid question...

remove.. go here www.proflowtech.com , print out the service request form, fill out, box up , ship :) We basically loose money on cleaning 1 injector, but do it anyway in hopes people will send sets from bikes, boats or vehicles later and spread the word. Ktm kehien injectors are literally the ONLY dirt bike injectors we see issues with.

Edited by MELK-MAN

What's the impact of running fuel with Techron in a KTM motor? I found it keeps injectors cleaner.

remove.. go here www.proflowtech.com , print out the service request form, fill out, box up , ship :) We basically loose money on cleaning 1 injector, but do it anyway in hopes people will send sets from bikes, boats or vehicles later and spread the word. Ktm kehien injectors are literally the ONLY dirt bike injectors we see issues with.

Greg,

What difference are you seeing with KTM injectors vs. other makes? Why do you think KTM has more issues?

Greg,

What difference are you seeing with KTM injectors vs. other makes? Why do you think KTM has more issues?

Because KTM chooses to use the finest/smallest (highest atomization) holes in their injectors

You may want to go with .64, that's what worked for me at least.

What was your stock setting? I was surprised to see mine @ .56. The bike ran good at .62..... But I did have a couple of backfires. Have you tried above .64? Or did you just work your way up to that point to find your sweet spot?

Thanks