sirthumpalot

The TPS adjustment thread

5 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

This should help: 

Thanks Matt. I did see that video, and it suggest that it is probably 0.40. However I'd love a confirmation that this is the correct value for my bike. I have read my owners and service manual cover to cover trying to find it in there and it is not listed. I was hoping someone could confirm that was the factory value.

• Like 1

The only values I have seen (for the bikes we talk about here) are 0.601 and 0.40 as mentioned in the video.  While it's possible your 450 could use a different value, I think it's very unlikely.  Also those two values are so far apart that if you set it to the wrong one I would expect it to be very obvious.  You could try taking your current reading, writing it down, set it to what we think the default should be (0.40v) and see how it runs.  Worst case you put it back to where it was.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sirthumpalot said:

The only values I have seen (for the bikes we talk about here) are 0.601 and 0.40 as mentioned in the video.  While it's possible your 450 could use a different value, I think it's very unlikely.  Also those two values are so far apart that if you set it to the wrong one I would expect it to be very obvious.  You could try taking your current reading, writing it down, set it to what we think the default should be (0.40v) and see how it runs.  Worst case you put it back to where it was.  

Thank you that makes sense. You are right I will see what my value is with the idle screw backed out completely and if it is anywhere near 0.40 I will assume my setting should be 0.40.

The problem with the "set it and try it" method is that this is a snowbike. So I drive 4 hours into the mountains to "test it". Its then packed with snow around the motor so its not very conducive to making adjustments while riding. That is why I was hoping for a value from a service manual. It is odd that KTM didnt include it for my year.

• Like 1

I'm working on a 2010 Husaberg FE 570.  Whats the fix if you cant get the voltage low enough?  I'm at .67v and I'm at the end of the adjustment.

I think my input voltage is a little high.  Manual lists 4.784v.  I've got 5.

Not sure how to fix that.

That's a carbed bike, you could probably disconnect the tps and not notice much, if anything.   ON FI bikes its much more critical, cause they live off the tps input, and will not function correctly without it.

your idle setting may be effecting your tps read, going any lower than it is

I'm pretty sure the 2010 FE570 is an FI bike.  

What does the manual list for the voltage for the FE570?  It may be different than the KTMs.  Most systems run at 5v, I suspect 4.784 is a lower bound or some other limit as opposed to an optimal value.  If you can post some pictures of the pages in the manual then I can help you out reading the spec.  Also if you can post some pictures of your meter then I can double check your settings.  Finally does the voltage go up steadily as you open the throttle?  If not then that's a sign you might be checking the wrong wires.  We'll get it figured out!  

• Like 1

The Husaberg is most definitely a FI bike.  

Here is the manual page I'm siting.   Now that I reread that I cant really tell if its talking about input or output. 

With the TPS all the way to its lower limit I got the bike to run.  Idle is pretty lumpy and it dies when you give it any gas but its not been warmed up.

husaberg voltage screenshot.jpg

That voltage range is definitely sensor output and it looks like the range from throttle closed to full throttle.  Are there any additional pages that cover the TPS or throttle body?  I see some other references online that the idle setting should be 0.6v-0.64v, which would match what KTM uses for their throttle bodies where the idle setting does NOT affect the tps reading.  If you connect your meter and turn the idle screw just a little bit, does it affect the TPS reading?  That will help us figure out which style throttle body you have.  

Actually, can you post a picture of the meter that you're using?  Some of the el-cheapo meters are not very accurate at low voltages, so it's possible your meter is lying to you.  Also does the voltage go up smoothly when you open the throttle?  If not then you might be checking the wrong wires.  

Go here: https://www.tpstool.com/tps_tool_howto_videos.htm  Scroll to the very bottom and watch the video on resetting your TPS to factory default.  It might not match your throttle body perfectly, but hopefully that will show you how things generally work and might answer some questions.  

This is embarrassing but I'll share cause thats how we learn.

Lots of messing around.  Couldnt get consistent voltage.  Bike would start but bog at any throttle opening.  Noticed the exhaust getting real hot like it was lean.  Shut it down right away. 

Pulled the air filter and found the paper towel I left in the intake to keep crap out....

Butterfly now fully closes and I can get a correct setting.  Bike now runs correctly.

This was after a complete head rebuild so hopefully I didnt ruin anything running it lean.  Taking it out to the desert on Sunday so we'll see how it does.