Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Is Wil Hahn alright?

Cracked skull? Daaaammmnnnnn!

Is he still wearing the 6d helmet I wonder? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure he was.. but did you see the hit he took?  his head slapped the ground. it wasn't just a hit. 

• Like 1

Base of scull. Think Dale Earnheart. Does he wear a neck brace?

Do you really think a motocross neck brace is going to protect you from a basilar skull fracture? The HANs device, which became mandatory after Earnhardt's death, has little if nothing in common with the Leatt. The HANs device's primary function is to keep your head from ripping off your neck in the event of a high speed impact (high speed = +150 MPH). A Leatt isn't going to protect you from that kind of injury. In fact, a Leatt isn't going to protect you from much, except extreme hyper-extension.

Edited by Justin Hambleton

Do you really think a motocross neck brace is going to protect you from a basilar skull fracture? The HANs device, which became mandatory after Earnhardt's death, has little if nothing in common with the Leatt. The HANs device's primary function is to keep your head from ripping off your neck in the event of a high speed impact (high speed = +150 MPH). A Leatt isn't going to protect you from that kind of injury. In fact, a Leatt isn't going to protect you from much, except extreme hyper-extension.

When your head wips forward like his, the point at with the spine is attached to the scull is pulled apart by breaking the skull. I believe a Leatt at least attempts to limit this kind of extreme movement. Would it save him? If the wreck killed him as this type of injury often does we could rekindle a debate on weather a neck brace helps. I think this would give fuel to those that say it helps. They say they are "watching" his scull fracture. If it turns bad expect the debate.

When your head wips forward like his, the point at with the spine is attached to the scull is pulled apart by breaking the skull. I believe a Leatt at least attempts to limit this kind of extreme movement. Would it save him? If the wreck killed him as this type of injury often does we could rekindle a debate on weather a neck brace helps. I think this would give fuel to those that say it helps. They say they are "watching" his scull fracture. If it turns bad expect the debate.

A Leatt will not protect you against a basilar skull fracture. See the straps on the HANS device:

HANS.jpg

Those straps are what keep your head from getting ripped off at the base of the skull. A Leatt will not prevent this, ever. A Leatt only protects you from extreme hyperflexion:

whiplash-flx.jpg

If you're worried about spraining your neck, wear a Leatt. If you're worried about breaking your neck or getting a severe brain injury, stop riding motorcycles.

Edited by Justin Hambleton
  • Like 1

A Leatt will not protect you against a basilar skull fracture. See the straps on the HANS device:

Those straps are what keep your head from getting ripped off at the base of the skull. A Leatt will not prevent this, ever. A Leatt only protects you from extreme hyperflexion:

If you're worried about spraining your neck, wear a Leatt. If you're worried about breaking your neck or getting a severe brain injury, stop riding motorcycles.

Here is more info that I just found: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints

Thanks, my spouse was freaking out that they picked him up like they did. She thought they should have put him on the board before moving him.

My wife wanted me to sell the bike after seeing that. I tried to explain the difference between SX jumps, and fat old guys on green trails :naughty:

• Like 7

Man!! that was nasty hit... Hope he makes a full recovery.

After that evaluation, @GEICOMotorcycle Tweeted on Sunday: In addition to his broken right humerus, he has a broken clavicle and cracked skull. He is out for the year.

I thought he went head first into the jump but on the replay from the side angle it actually looks like he goes over the bars and then springs off his front fender without hitting his head yet and then somersaults smacking his head on the ground when he lands. Anyone else see it like that? I think if he had hit his head into the jump he would have wrecked his neck. He did wear a 6D on the 250 team but I heard he wears a Shoei on the 450 team. I could be wrong though. In any case that was a huge hit to the head so just the fact he was conscious a few minutes later was amazing.

His head hit first on the lip of the jump, appeared to have knocked him out, then landed on it again 30 feet or so later after ragdolling.

My wife wanted me to sell the bike after seeing that. I tried to explain the difference between SX jumps, and fat old guys on green trails :naughty:

Luckily my wife walked out to get me a beer when that happened. 

• Like 4

HANS.jpg

whiplash-flx.jpg

The Leatt can protect your neck from hyperflexion. If you bend your neck down far enough, your helmet hits the Leatt preventing your neck from bending forward any farther.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/LEATT-BRACE-RIDE-DAY-4336.aspx

I thought he went head first into the jump but on the replay from the side angle it actually looks like he goes over the bars and then springs off his front fender without hitting his head yet and then somersaults smacking his head on the ground when he lands. Anyone else see it like that?

That's exactly what I thought happened, I thought he landed straight on his head and bounced, it was to quick for me to see until they put the replay up

Sx jumps, man they are nasty. Am I wrong for thinking that on a good old fashioned outdoor track he would not have po-go'd so violently in the first place, and then he would have landed in loamier dirt? I know that SX is the winter filler between the real racing, but man it is so brutal, those lips are sharper than razors.

Ouch! From what I saw I agree that it didn't look like his head actually touched the lip, but instead he bounced off the handlebars/fender/tire. Also looks to me like he was controlling his arms during the flight before he landed (30 feet later!).

Edited by LSHD

Just watched the video again a few times in slo-mo.

From the side view, you can see the shadow of his head on the dirt meet up with his helmet pretty fast and hard, and he goes basically limp as he's going through the air.  Nasty.