Hard Start for 2007

I have a used 2007 CRF250R.

Near the end of last season and when I pulled it out this year its been a pain to start. To be honest, the only I can get it to start is if I have the throttle cracked open a bit. I also noticed that it doesn't like to idle once its warmed up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ill try. Never did much on bikes but I have the book that came with the bike and a service manual so hopefully I'll be able to do that.

Just curious: Its an easy enough job as long as I take my time and follow the instructions?

I just dont want to mike my not running great bike to a not running at all bike

Really easy, just make sure the bike is clean in the motor area, especially under the tank and around the top of the engine, wires and cables. You do not want dirt to drop into the engine with the valve cover off. You'll need a good set of feeler gauges but it's not hard at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was able to work on my bike this weekend. I tried to get measurements on my valves but wasn't able to get all of them.

No matter how low I  went with my feelers I couldn't get the RH intake measurement. Otherwise here are my measurements:

IN LH: .004

Ext. RH: .009

Ext. LH: .011

Because I didn't feel comfortable screwing around with the shims I decided just to do the RHC mod. It did make a huge difference kicking the bike but I still have to keep the throttle cracked a little bit for it to start.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey friends,

Finally just said F-it and pulled my cam off to replace the shims. I ended up just replacing the intake shim that read zero. The numbers were worn off but with a pair of calipers it seemed to be a 1.95mm. I decided just to go down one size so i put the 1.90mm shim in there, reassembled everything and decided to kick it over to see if anything had changed.

First kick it started. I was amazed and releaved.

I was able to get my bike to the track for the first time yesterday and the only time it didnt start first kick is when i fell one and when i stalled in the corner. 

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for letting me know what to do without yelling at me about my post. (I started to see how often this is brought up).

Sorry, I have the same issue with zero clearance on the RT intake valve, does that mean I have to replace the valve?

Sent from my iPhone

iloveh8ers:

I didn't replace anything except the shim. Try that first before spending money on all new valves.