Sign in to follow this  

GPS recommendations?

Not looking for anything fancy. Just something small and a good value. Really just need to track my progress incase I lose my direction.

I use a Garmin GPSMap 76 CSX.  Great little GPS and easy to use.  It's not a modern touch screen device, but it goes into a nice ram-mount on the bars, and does everything and more I need a GPS to do without having to fiddle with it.  It's also extremely durable and is water proof and floats. 

I've loaded custom maps into it, as well as all the major Garmin maps.  It uses micro-sd cards so can hold a ton of maps.  One of the best bits of moto farkle I've purchased... can't believe I rode so long without that thing.

Hope that helps.

I'd say 76Cx; that's what I ride with.

The sensors are worthless... baro is way off unless calibrated weekly, and the compass, same deal.  It's more of a battery suck than its worth.

The 60 comes in a Cx flavor without the sensors as well.

For a basic GPS, might also look at the eTrex line.  A lot of the same capabilities with a bit less cost.

I'll add that whatever you get, make sure it's properly tethered. I've lost 2 GPS units as of yesterday. Both Garmin 60cs or 60csx. Had a ram mount AND either elec tape or zip tie at top for security. Both times were riding big desert whoops. I'm in the market now too, hope you also find what you're looking for!

Just got a etrex legend on ebay for $40. Thanks for all the help!

I'll add that whatever you get, make sure it's properly tethered. I've lost 2 GPS units as of yesterday. Both Garmin 60cs or 60csx. Had a ram mount AND either elec tape or zip tie at top for security. Both times were riding big desert whoops. I'm in the market now too, hope you also find what you're looking for!

Very well known problem with the RAM 60 cradle, just on of many reasons to get 76Cx instead.

• Like 1

Very well known problem with the RAM 60 cradle, just on of many reasons to get 76Cx instead.

Yeah, I looked at Mike's recently and the cradle looks build to actually hold on to the darn thing. Oh, and never buy a used GPS from a fellow DSer. Also a very well known problem. As Joe says "now I know, and knowing is half the battle" !

Also for a few dollars you can pick up a high strength lead used for fishing and use it to tether the gps to the bars or something close. More flexible than a ziptie and sometimes more user friendly.

On another note, I got a Magellan eXplorist 710 for free from my grandfather, does anyone have any experience with loading trail maps or land maps to their GPS? Are there some that are better than others? Or are the $50 dollar ones that Magellan offers a good value?

What are most of you using? I have the etrex legend Cx .. but am thinking of getting one with a higher sensitivity antenna since i tend to go pretty deep into some areas. 

What do you guys recommend as a higher accuracy /sensitivity upgrade ?

Edited by shiftline

Garmin Oregon or Montana (bigger for older eyes) with topographic map. Awesome, with modern touch screen. I have it wired into battery with Garmin cable and it has been flawless for over 2 years. I would bypass the older design 60 and 76cx models. Technology has moved on. The guys who run those models will tell you they are awesome and rugged, but they are antiquated compared to the two touch-screen models I mentioned. They will also say they were built for the military and super tough, but I have beat mine hard with no issues - An Oregon 450t from 2011ish. Cheers

What are most of you using? I have the etrex legend Cx .. but am thinking of getting one with a higher sensitivity antenna since i tend to go pretty deep into some areas. 

What do you guys recommend as a higher accuracy /sensitivity upgrade ?

The Montana has been great under cover and in the mountains.  

Oregon and Montana look pretty similar aside for size. So the internal antennas work just as well as the externals? Is there any big worth while upgrades on the different models or will any of them do the trick? Thanks for the recommendations!

I believe the eTrex CX has the SiRF III receiver in it.  Antenna may be your limiting factor.  How are you holding/mounting the unit?  The patch antenna likes to be facing the sky, where the QFH is a little more omnidirectional (though its best performance will be up-and-down).

Mentioned before that i'm not a big fan of their newer receivers.  Greatly overcomplicated what GPS should be.