Cross training, enduro & dirt bike techniques - vids & tutorials

overnight rain made some of our fun sections quite a bit tougher so we were keen to get some traction practice in before it all dried out.

out of interest, a few of us have been running the shinko 505 cheater lately. after mixed results with the motoz hybrid one of the guys tried this shinko and loved it, so two of us have fitted them now and will report back after some testing. 

it's a knobby but the knobs are closer together than normal, and it has a very soft rubber compound. my prediction is it will be brilliant on the mostly dry stuff we ride, but the closer knob pattern won't work so well in mud. just have to wait for some good rain to test that out.....

• Like 6

At least you got that far Pitt, I'd probably be down the hill somewhere trying to kickstart a bike thats been upside-down for too long, due to yet another unko mistake. :(?

I've ridden up that rock set many times. Made many mistakes figuring it over the years but hadn't had any issues on for some time. During the training day I was trying the new techniques he was teaching which changes everything. Always takes a few more fails until you figure it out again. In the past I relied on momentum and traction with a little luck to ride this stuff but now after riding with Criss Birch and Barry of Cross Training, I've learned the better "acceleration" onto a hill method is much better that relying on momentum and traction. Not easy teaching an old dog new tricks though.

overnight rain made some of our fun sections quite a bit tougher so we were keen to get some traction practice in before it all dried out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RH_y5ZQhKY

out of interest, a few of us have been running the shinko 505 cheater lately. after mixed results with the motoz hybrid one of the guys tried this shinko and loved it..

Once again you have come through with a vid at exactly the right time. Just the other day I had to use the knee on the seat technique to get up a very deep rut. It worked perfectly. ?.

Also, Le Chad and I have gone to trails based tires to see how they work in our rocky terrain. Le Chad has a hybrid and I have a true trials tire so we can see how they compare.

doh, this vid is from months ago but forgot to post it. brushed off the dust and cobwebs and here it is. smile.gif no wonder andrew is progressing quickly, he's throwing himself at these hill climbs despite way less saddle time than the rest of us.

Once again you have come through with a vid at exactly the right time. Just the other day I had to use the knee on the seat technique to get up a very deep rut. It worked perfectly. ?.

woohoo! i've never seen a top extreme enduro rider use it but it seems to be working for us.... keen to run it by birchy if we can ever book another coaching session with him. he's booked for months in advance around the world now.

• Like 3

the old bones tend to break more than bend nowadays so usually keen to avoid speed... but every now and then it can be fun! pitted my gumby abilities against lars from australian hard enduro who has a motocross and freestyle jumping background. 

many of you will know i'm trying to go full time with these vids. i generally keep it quiet but my supporters said i need to put the call for support out more publicly. so click here if you feel like helping out, i'm still using my savings to make up the shortfall so any help much appreciated!
  • Like 6

had a lot of requests the past five months for a more indepth review of the RR480, so here it is! overall i've been amazed at how flexible this bike is, in terms of dual sport riding but then working its way through the snotty terrain as well.... with its lighter weight the old RR300 was better of course for slow hard enduro conditions but everywhere else the big thumper has been at least its equal. 

• Like 2

had a lot of requests the past five months for a more indepth review of the RR480, so here it is! overall i've been amazed at how flexible this bike is, in terms of dual sport riding but then working its way through the snotty terrain as well.... with its lighter weight the old RR300 was better of course for slow hard enduro conditions but everywhere else the big thumper has been at least its equal. 

Nice review.. at least for Beta to me the big bore is the best way to go..for an all around bike.. All of the 4t's are good but love the big bore..plenty power and yet still a pussycat in smooth controllable power. I like my 300rr best.. but if I had to have to ride one bike and ride from home the big bore is great.. and you are riding that thing better and better!!!

i wasn't going to make a vid about this but it's been so handy... a mate bought one of these ultra compact volt jump starters a year ago and uses it constantly on the vehicles at his property. it can jump start cars, any motorbike, has a flashlight, all the attachments to charge phones, GPS units etc. very handy to leave in the wife's car for jump starting too.

also apparently you can't bump start or kickstart some of the new fuel injected enduro bikes so this could be very useful if your battery dies. i know it's not an issue on the RR480 as it will bump start if it hasn't been sitting for just a minute or two...
  • Like 3

There was a recent topic in the general forum about making inexpensive light weight jumper cables which I'm in the process of doing since I know have a DRZ400e without a kick start.

I was also just looking at a similar product in the October Dirt Bike http://earthxbatteries.com/shop/earthx-jump-pack.

And also just found out they also sell jumper cables but I'm making my own ?http://earthxbatteries.com/shop/48-inch-long-quick-connect-chargingjump-start

hey guys, a massive thanks to the 120 viewers who have been supporting me to go full time on the vids the past six months. 

unfortunately i have been using my savings to meet the shortfall so some of my supporters suggested i keep all the training vids publicly available, but make a few of the ride vids each month just for supporters... if enough jump on board i can get the original supporters to dial back on their contributions as some of them have been very generous.

i have a quick look at the OX-BRAKE left hand rear brake system in this vid. i want to try it more and also chat with some local riders who have fitted them so i can do a full review on it. quite a few guys love them immediately, others it takes time, and for some it doesn't gel with them and they sell it again. it's always tricky reviewing this sort of bling because there are mixed reactions....

• Like 3

That OX-Brake is certainly interesting.  How much lever pressure does it require to lock up the rear brake?  That pedal extension isn't all that long.  We tried something similar on my wife's TTR and could never get it to produce enough braking force.

I have a hydraulic LHRB from Rekluse and freaking LOVE IT!  With a hydraulic system that works through the OEM master cylinder it is no problem to lock the rear when I want to.  More importantly, modulation of the rear is very easy.

The LHRB has been nothing short of a miracle for me.  I used to be terrified of steep, slippery downhills because I just could not get the hang of modulating the rear brake with my foot.  The LHRB allows me to tackle the steepest and nastiest downhills with ease.  I also find that I use it to modulate my speed in tight twisty single track. 

• Like 1