Cross training, enduro & dirt bike techniques - vids & tutorials

a review of the gopro black 5 from a motorbike riding angle after lots of requests the past six months, it took this long to borrow one. i felt sony's top action cam had overtaken the gopro black 4 in several key respects, so it will be interesting to see if the 5 series regained position as top dog.

i know the 6 model is out now too, but with discounted prices on the remaining 5 series i figured this review would still be handy. 

• Like 3

can sheer laziness and penny pinching lead to better traction skills? 

i have my TUbliss ready to fit to the beta xtrainer - but i hate changing tires so thought i'd wait until the stock goldentyres wear out. but the tires were slowly slipping on the rims and by the time i tightened the rim locks the tube valves were threatening to tear out. so i just put 16psi in both tires instead of fixing the problem. 

so traction has been bad the last rides, especially once the rear knobby started to get low! but i'm putting a positive spin on all of this and keen to see how far i can go before i admit defeat and need to put some time and money into tires. :ride:

• Like 5

Ya I'm going into my 8th year od riding and I've only started slightly understanding how different tires actually perform and its only been in the last couple that I've gotten how good a new front tire works.

But I have been playing with PSI a lot (both front/back) and generally with IRC-IX Heavy tubes I run the fronts say 6ish to 12ish and rear 2ish to 12ish depending on tire and terrain and IMO can make a huge difference and free to try ?

Otherwise awesome time for tire options, not enough $$$$ then you have to buy them and try them.

• Like 2

china's first stab at a serious two stroke dirt bike. this GPX TSE 250R looks the goods in the pics but i can't help feeling it will be a few more years before the quality control is good enough for it to be a decent dirt bike. but who knows, maybe this model is the one where it all starts to come together. 

- Engine: 224 cm3 66.8 mm x 64 mm
- Maximum power: 37 hp / 8500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 6.5: 1
- Carburetor TM30
- Dry weight: 115 kg (253lb)
- Drive Type: 520HD - 120L chain, 13T / 52T Star (Aluminum CNC)
- Frame: chrome-manganese steel
- Tires: Zhengxin 80/100-21 and 10 /90-18
- Brakes: 260 mm front disc, double piston, rear brake disc 220 mm, single piston
- Front forks: 940 mm, FastAce Force adjustable compression and rebound
- Rear shock: 480 mm, FastAce Force with adjustable compression and rebound
- Exhaust system, muffler: stainless steel with Megabomb resonator / aluminum
- Battery: MTX5L-BS (GEL)
- Tank capacity: 7.5 liters.
- Seat height: 930 mm.
- Wheelbase: 1490 mm.
- Dimensions LxWxH: 2200 mm x 830 mm x 1300 mm

• Like 2

your better half not keen on you buying that new dirt bike? this simple but effective strategy will make her see why you MUST have it. 

also we are heading back to ride the pubic patch of australia... tasmania. :ride:

Edited by OZ DRZ
  • Like 3

i came home from cambodia to find we have two more italian princesses in our group... that makes four of us now and only two guys left on the pumpkins.... wonder how long they'll hold out lol! although as you can see in the preview pic it's not making us ride any better over those logs.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2018 at 9:01 AM, OZ DRZ said:

can sheer laziness and penny pinching lead to better traction skills? 

i have my TUbliss ready to fit to the beta xtrainer - but i hate changing tires so thought i'd wait until the stock goldentyres wear out. but the tires were slowly slipping on the rims and by the time i tightened the rim locks the tube valves were threatening to tear out. so i just put 16psi in both tires instead of fixing the problem. 

so traction has been bad the last rides, especially once the rear knobby started to get low! but i'm putting a positive spin on all of this and keen to see how far i can go before i admit defeat and need to put some time and money into tires. :ride:

Hey  Im doing the same thing too.. I got my Kenda Ibex and running it way past best tread functionality.. I hate changing tires too.. Ive been surprised at how well they work in slippery mud.. it’s working quite well half worn!!!

• Like 1

i put the fastway 'ankle saver' footpegs on the 250SX for our motocross/enduro conversion project ages ago. there were a lot of questions about the strange looking pegs, and these have continued since putting them on the beta xtrainer. i figured it was time to do a quick video about them instead of typing the same replies all the time....

in a nutshell? a handy idea for motorcross riders starting to get big air and/or tackle serious whoops.
if you ride on the balls of your feet a lot they could be userful especially if you have weak ankles or you're an aggressive rider.
finally if you are an old fella they are just good insurance for your ankles if your joints and ligaments ain't what they used to be!

i'm a bit of a fastway footpeg fan myself, they have three different types of adjustment, boot soles last forever if you use the smaller cleats and the evolution III pegs i bought have had five very solid years of use and still going strong. with luck these ankle savers will be just as durable.

any negatives? the only one is scott in our group bought the super light evolution air pegs and the alloy was so soft they wore and became loose in only six months. :(

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OZ DRZ said:

i put the fastway 'ankle saver' footpegs on the 250SX for our motocross/enduro conversion project ages ago. there were a lot of questions about the strange looking pegs, and these have continued since putting them on the beta xtrainer. i figured it was time to do a quick video about them instead of typing the same replies all the time....

in a nutshell? a handy idea for motorcross riders starting to get big air and/or tackle serious whoops.
if you ride on the balls of your feet a lot they could be userful especially if you have weak ankles or you're an aggressive rider.
finally if you are an old fella they are just good insurance for your ankles if your joints and ligaments ain't what they used to be!

i'm a bit of a fastway footpeg fan myself, they have three different types of adjustment, boot soles last forever if you use the smaller cleats and the evolution III pegs i bought have had five very solid years of use and still going strong. with luck these ankle savers will be just as durable.

any negatives? the only one is scott in our group bought the super light evolution air pegs and the alloy was so soft they wore and became loose in only six months. :(

Have you done a review of the Pivot Pegz (aussie company) cus  IMO I love them and would be interest to hear what you think?

1 hour ago, filterx said:

Have you done a review of the Pivot Pegz (aussie company) cus  IMO I love them and would be interest to hear what you think?

ridden with them twice and didn't like them. i figure it's like steg pegz where probably a lot of guys will like them but a minority won't. 

if one of our guys was using pivot pegz and loved them then i'd do a review and present the opposing viewpoint. but doing a review on them from just my own negative perspective wouldn't be fair to the company. :( 

• Like 2

Incredible... David Attenborough follows a... sex starved enduro beast out of... his natural... habitat.

And on a more serious note, congratulations to the subject of this documentary. Tim Coleman announced his engagement today to Ina Halls, the only girl I've seen balance a DR650 at a standstill THEN ride it backwards. All the best for the future guys!

• Like 2

tasmania is covered in a ridiculous number of state forests but the difference with swanport is all the army dudes like to use it for shooting things too.... hopefully not us as even our best dirt ninja training moves ain't no match for bullets. 

• Like 3

i've been using flexible bars the past few years to make things easier for dodgy finger joints, arm pump, carpal tunnel and all the usual stuff when dirt riding in your 50s and beyond. these are the new 4x bend bars from twisted engineering, the most flexible ones yet.

regular viewers will know i'm not really into bling  for bling's sake... if you don't have upper body issues then all these bars will do is feel like a bit of extra suspension. but otherwise they can be part of the solution....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

viewers have been asking for a gas gas review for two years... and we finally get to throw a leg over the spanish stallions! The 2018 gas gas 300XC and 300EC are excellent additions to the two stroke stables.

jumping from topic to topic with a disjointed narrative is a great substitute for quality in videos.... so allow me present yet another tediously random vid lol! 

• Like 1