OZ DRZ

Cross training, enduro & dirt bike techniques - vids & tutorials

Nice work! Where on earth did you find the Benny hill soundtrack?

You Tube is your friend🤣

Anything you can think of is out there. After a few You Tube infractions I'm careful to find non-copyrighted material.

now herein lies the dilemma. we have a highly edited version of the 'truth' where i edit out all my mistakes then get a full time video effects team to make it look as though i'm riding a bike half competently...

then there is the ugly unvarnished truth, raw and unpleasant to watch, my poor quality riding leaving a bad taste in your mouth. i think i'd prefer to live in my little CGI bubble lol!

• Like 1

part of the problem with overseas travel (and becoming the victim of slave traders) is you forget to take your meds and create some truly stupid videos, sigh....

• Like 4

Pictures don't do this man justice, he's a giant at 8 foot tall, that is why he can do pivot turns so well. His custom size 22US SIDI boots come right to the top of the seat when he stands which is why you never see him put a foot down during a ride. He just has to touch a toe once in a while to gain balance. Here he is standing back 3 feet farther than Reece and I and still has to crouch to fit into the picture. During the riding clinic we all just called him sir because The Mountain was already taken.

post-345078-0-07255700-1470672090.jpg

The Giant Reece and I.jpg

Edited by Pittbull
  • Like 4

part of the problem with overseas travel (and becoming the victim of slave traders) is you forget to take your meds and create some truly stupid videos, sigh....

I like taking my 1986 Reflex out and riding the living crap out of it and usually I'm out front on the tight and gnarly single track. Makes me appreciate my 250R.

Though your knees would be up around your ears :)

DSCF00801_zps2431fcb2.jpg

Otherwise you spent far too much time in Ontario medicating with Maple Syrup and what over you've used as a Maple Leaf in our flag :)

• Like 1

Bruce, Le Chad and I were out practicing crossing logs.  This bad boy measured about 22" above the ground and was wet & slippery.  Le Chad nailed 'er first time, no dab.   :)   Once it dries out we will try it from the bottom of the rut.  That ought to add another 4-6" of height.

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8789.jpg

IMG_8790.jpg

IMG_8793.jpg

Edited by CDNSXV
  • Like 3

For the guys familiar with McNutt, these pics illustrate the kind of terrain we S. Albertans are used to riding.  Our rocks aren't nice and smooth like yours, they are broken, jagged and usually found on a big, nasty hill.  This section is at the very top of a 300 foot tall hillclimb that includes steep, slippery rock faces and numerous big ledges and steps.  

Get stuck and it is extremely difficult to get going again.  Fall and you are likely to hurt both bike and body.  

McNutt was super fun and I am practically obsessed with going back there but it didn't have any of the challenge or intimidation factor of SW Alberta riding.

IMG_8777.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

• Like 1

For the guys familiar with McNutt, these pics illustrate the kind of terrain we S. Albertans are used to riding.  Our rocks aren't nice and smooth like yours, they are broken, jagged and usually found on a big, nasty hill.  This section is at the very top of a 300 foot tall hillclimb that includes steep, slippery rock faces and numerous big ledges and steps.  

Get stuck and it is extremely difficult to get going again.  Fall and you are likely to hurt both bike and body.  

McNutt was super fun and I am practically obsessed with going back there but it didn't have any of the challenge or intimidation factor of SW Alberta riding.

IMG_8782.jpg

Dude no offence but you didn't make it off the bunny hills on McNutt, at no point did the entire crew / class ride anything beyond green runs. You need to come back and ride the tougher trails before making a blanket statement like that. You didn't  even have to ride up Gordy's, Wages of Sin, The Line, San Fran, Future Trail or any of the other countless Double Black or Double Red runs. 🤣

I get what you mean about the different type of rocks though, you'd have to venture into higher country than than the trail here to get into jagged rock. Remember that Alberta and BC do share the same mountain range so the terrain at the same altitude will look very similar. I have ridden Alberta as that is where I was from. Places like Marble Mountain, Lost Lake etc in the foothills to the Rockies just past Sundry Alberta were my stomping grounds and I remember the trails well. Hills / cut-lines that were literally the side of a mountain and covered in shale were always good for a scare or 2 as was the muskeg that would move  and roll for several hundred feet as you rode over it. 

Guess we'll have to take out for some "Pucker Factor"

(I don't even have any of images of the tough stuff for whatever reason, will have to look at home)

DSC02243_zps9fdtxc8o.jpg

GP012134.MP4.Still001_zpslbpwinvi.jpg

GOPR2134.MP4.Still003_zpsbyg9c4oo.jpg

GOPR2131.MP4.Still002_zpslrsbdwpw.jpg

McNutt-24Oct2014img20_zps3fd89f95.jpg

McNutt-24Oct2014img6_zps885b00cc.jpg

McNutt-24Oct2014img17_zps775a0461.jpg

McNutt-24Oct2014img13_zps5d70c1cd.jpg

15_June_2014img18_zps98970919.jpg

Edited by Pittbull

I a looking forward to it. I'm def coming back next summer and I wanna try the harder stuff.

I'm not saying the riding in McNutt isn't challenging only that what I rode and what I've seen in your vids doesn't scare me and lots of stuff here does. In a way, removing the fear factor is nice cause it allows you to try more stuff.

The hill in my pics is brutal cause time I get to the top, I'm sucking air and then have to tackle this big nasty rock section that is quite intimidating.

FWIW I wasn't trying to pick a fight or say ours is better than yours. They are just different. I found McNutt super fun without the fear. Lots of times ours is not so fun but has a bigger adrenalin rush due to the scary factor.

.....FWIW I wasn't trying to pick a fight or say ours is better than yours. .......

I'm pretty hard to offend, no butt hurt here. Was pointing out that there's so much more to this place than what you got to see. Next time...

CDNSXV,

Is that Mclean Creek? That's a quad trail isn't it (the top is trail marker 114?)   I can see why you used that picture as an example but I wouldn't consider that trail a great example of scary or difficult as far as that area is concerned. (If I'm correctly guessing where your picture is from.)

I'm pretty hard to offend, no butt hurt here. Was pointing out that there's so much more to this place than what you got to see. Next time...

Fair enough.

I do want to do Gordy's with that rock step that seems to give people so much trouble. And there is another trail with a big 20-30' rock face that looks interesting. Also want to do the little stream crossing with the big log hop on the other side. It's more the technical challenges that interest me. A hard nasty slog uphill isn't really my thing. We have loads of those here. One section has to have 50 log crossings inside a 200 yd section. It's just nasty.

I wasn't sure what to expect from McNutt and really my only riding experience is in SW Alberta, where everything seems to be big, evil and scary. I don't think we can ride a day without hitting something that is scary or just downright evil.

As to the slippy/slidey riding, no thanks, we have a ton of that right now. It has been raining non-stop here and the clay based soil doesn't soak up water so everything is wet n slippery. Le Chad nearly sunk his new bike yesterday in a puddle that turned out to be way deeper than it looked

You want to come in the fall then. Right now the soil on the island is the shits just like powder I hate. Not to sure what Mcnutt is like right now but I would guess pretty much the same. Our soil needs to be wet it doesn't get like your Alberta clay. We need the moisture for our best traction in the dirt. How do you like the Sherco endure??

...I wasn't sure what to expect from McNutt and really my only riding experience is in SW Alberta, where everything seems to be big, evil and scary. I don't think we can ride a day without hitting something that is scary or just downright evil.....

the ride at mcnutt was geared to all the easy tracks to suit wide variety of riders who attended. we were going to head out at the end of the day to ride some much harder trails but ran out of time and energy unfortunately. also i was very conscious of not wanting to let other groups down by hurting myself on harder terrain. :(  

very keen to do all the harder tracks next year though and have a lot more time to explore them. reece from 3D racing organised the BC side of things and is a better rider than me and says he can't get through some of the tougher sections yet, so i know i'll be in for some serious arse puckering!

....... reece from 3D racing organised the BC side of things and is a better rider than me and says he can't get through some of the tougher sections yet, so i know i'll be in for some serious arse puckering!

Reece is one hell of a good rider for sure which is a testament to McNutt if he is struggling with some areas.

Reece is a faster rider than you but I wouldn't say technically better that's for sure. I think riding the tech stuff up there my money might be on you old man :)

CDNSXV,

Is that Mclean Creek? That's a quad trail isn't it (the top is trail marker 114?)   I can see why you used that picture as an example but I wouldn't consider that trail a great example of scary or difficult as far as that area is concerned. (If I'm correctly guessing where your picture is from.)

I realize that you can not get a good perspective of how steep a trail is unless photo or vid from the side and get a vertical tree for reference but ya the trail/rocks in your pics does not look extremely gnarly.

I think you need to post some video and as above try to get someone half way up the hill recording to get perspective.

I would like to come ride AB or for that matter eastern BC if I can ever get past the Interior of BC :)

Sorry quoted the wrong post :(

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1