OZ DRZ

Cross training, enduro & dirt bike techniques - vids & tutorials

I realize that you can not get a good perspective of how steep a trail is unless photo or vid from the side and get a vertical tree for reference but ya the trail/rocks in your pics does not look extremely gnarly.

I think you need to post some video and as above try to get someone half way up the hill recording to get perspective.

I would like to come ride AB or for that matter eastern BC if I can ever get past the Interior of BC :)

Sorry quoted the wrong post :(

There's some wickedly gnarly trails around here for sure...that's just not really one of them in my opinion.  (If it's where I think it is.)

• Like 1

a had lot of interest in the steg pegz while i was in canada, so here's an attempt to answer the big question "would they suit me or not?" and some footage of quinn hill in calabogie, my first bit of reasonably technical riding in canada....

• Like 1

a highly requested topic from supporters was getting good life out of chain and sprockets. probably nothing new here for anyone who has been riding for years, but keen to hear of any extra tips you guys might have... i can add them at the end of the vid.

a highly requested topic from supporters was getting good life out of chain and sprockets. probably nothing new here for anyone who has been riding for years, but keen to hear of any extra tips you guys might have... i can add them at the end of the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVs89aDLIpM

send as close to 100 USA bucks as you can and it's a good set (that's for a chain a front and rear sprocket) any More it's to much money

Keep your chains and sprockets clean!! I clean my chains with a wire brush after every ride. Just like every thing maintained is key!! I would like to know where your getting a good quality chain and sprockets for a 100 USD. Front sprocket $20 to $30, Rear sprocket $75 to $100, chain $150 t0 $200. These are CAD prices. I just cant see for getting all 3 for a 100 of good quality. Maybe a cheap piece of shit made in China for 100

• Like 1

Keep your chains and sprockets clean!! I clean my chains with a wire brush after every ride. Just like every thing maintained is key!! I would like to know where your getting a good quality chain and sprockets for a 100 USD. Front sprocket $20 to $30, Rear sprocket $75 to $100, chain $150 t0 $200. These are CAD prices. I just cant see for getting all 3 for a 100 of good quality. Maybe a cheap piece of shit made in China for 100

rocky mountain ATV & mc, gold, orings chain and a set of steel sprockets got a few years out of it pitched the chain once at the master put a new one on and it's been good. It was mostly my fault I bent the clip a bit installing it but it was good for a while.

the RR250 loan bike for the ontario leg of canada had a rekluse fitted, heaps of guys asked what i thought of it since i'd ditched mine a few years back to try and learn better clutch control, so here are my misguided rambling thoughts...

• Like 1

I've been drowning in the Barry Kool-Aid.. I got myself a G2 Throttle tamer, have been trying to locate a Beta and have been using silicone lube on the chain now. Next step is those goofy looking Steg Pegz.. Barry, if none of this stuff makes me better, I am taking it out of your Poutine allowance when you come to Kweebec next year..

J

• Like 2

Based on the amount of fine clay grit we get into everything here and the cost of an o-ring chain we decided to go the opposite route and plan for regular replacement of inexpensive non-o-ring chains.  A non o-ring chain goes for about 1/3 the cost of an o-ring model and with the fine abrasive goop we ride in, an o-ring chain is done after a couple of seasons at best.  

After each ride the chain gets power washed to remove as much dirt as possible and then sprayed liberally with WD40 to displace water and prevent rust.  WD40 is a good short term chain lube because it doesn't attract dirt and the chain will be cleaned and lubed after every ride.  So far, this strategy has been working out quite nicely.

the RR250 loan bike for the ontario leg of canada had a rekluse fitted, heaps of guys asked what i thought of it since i'd ditched mine a few years back to try and learn better clutch control, so here are my misguided rambling thoughts...

Bruce,  I think you are a bit offside to say you are "not going to bag" the Rekluse and then spend the entire video listing off all the things you don't like about it.  I get that the Rekluse is not for everyone but it is very good for lots of us.

I have a Rekluse and I fricken LOVE IT!  I really don't give a damn about learning clutch skills.  In only my second year of riding dirtbikes I am more interested in learning how to cross big logs, go up big gnarly rock outcroppings and climb loose scary hills. How I do those things is entirely irrelevant to me and if a bit of technology can help then that is great.  The Rekluse allows me to ride terrain that I would simply not be able to without it.  OK, maybe I could but it would be a lot more frustrating and honestly this sport is difficult enough at age 50.

Half the things you list in your vid are minor issues at best.  Yeah, the clutch disengages at low rpm on downhills.  So what, how difficult is it to blip the throttle a bit to get it to re-engage?  Personally i intentionally step on the rear brake to get the clutch to disengage on steep downhills so I can concentrate on using both brakes to control the descent.  That I can so easily disengage the clutch in that manner is a benefit to me.

Every piece of technology will have positives and negatives.  The only thing I don't like about the Rekluse is that it tends to slip too much on steep hills in second gear, which forces me to use first gear for really steep stuff.  It was really bad until I went to the heavier wedges.  

For me, the Rekluse is nothing short of a miracle for the slow, gnarly rock faces and climbs we have here.  I can tackle the nastiest stuff and the clutch slips as needed to get me up and over stuff I would for sure stall on and probably fall without it.  Stalling on a steep, jagged, broken rock face and then going over backwards with the bike could easily result in serious injury.  With a Rekluse I never have to worry about that.

I have my Rekluse set for the most aggressive engagement (softest springs and heavy wedges) so I never really notice it when tackling big logs or vertical faces.  A good shot of gas propels the bike up anything I have the nuts to try.

A friend rode my bike recently and his comment was, "Your bike is just so easy to ride."  My reply was, "Yes  :)"  Why would I want to make it difficult to ride?  The terrain around here is difficult enough.

Bruce,  I think you are a bit offside to say you are "not going to bag" the Rekluse and then spend the entire video listing off all the things you don't like about it.  I get that the Rekluse is not for everyone but it is very good for lots of us.

I have a Rekluse and I fricken LOVE IT!  I really don't give a damn about learning clutch skills.....

Half the things you list in your vid are minor issues at best.  Yeah, the clutch disengages at low rpm on downhills.  So what, how difficult is it to blip the throttle a bit to get it to re-engage?  Personally i intentionally step on the rear brake to get the clutch to disengage on steep downhills so I can concentrate on using both brakes to control the descent.  That I can so easily disengage the clutch in that manner is a benefit to me.....

not sure how i'm offside, there are plenty of rave reviews that barely mention the potential downsides, and  i said twice it's just an opinion in response to the many who asked for my opinion. and i already said it would be helpful to anyone who didn't want to develop their clutch technique.  and i list an equal number of potential advantages as well as disadvantages.

• Like 5

I have a Rekluse and I fricken LOVE IT!  I really don't give a damn about learning clutch skills.  In only my second year of riding dirtbikes I am more interested in learning how to cross big logs, go up big gnarly rock outcroppings and climb loose scary hills. How I do those things is entirely irrelevant to me and if a bit of technology can help then that is great.  The Rekluse allows me to ride terrain that I would simply not be able to without it.  OK, maybe I could but it would be a lot more frustrating and honestly this sport is difficult enough at age 50.

Half the things you list in your vid are minor issues at best.  Yeah, the clutch disengages at low rpm on downhills.  So what, how difficult is it to blip the throttle a bit to get it to re-engage?  Personally i intentionally step on the rear brake to get the clutch to disengage on steep downhills so I can concentrate on using both brakes to control the descent.  That I can so easily disengage the clutch in that manner is a benefit to me.

Every piece of technology will have positives and negatives.  The only thing I don't like about the Rekluse is that it tends to slip too much on steep hills in second gear, which forces me to use first gear for really steep stuff.  It was really bad until I went to the heavier wedges.  

For me, the Rekluse is nothing short of a miracle for the slow, gnarly rock faces and climbs we have here.  I can tackle the nastiest stuff and the clutch slips as needed to get me up and over stuff I would for sure stall on and probably fall without it.  Stalling on a steep, jagged, broken rock face and then going over backwards with the bike could easily result in serious injury.  With a Rekluse I never have to worry about that.

I have my Rekluse set for the most aggressive engagement (softest springs and heavy wedges) so I never really notice it when tackling big logs or vertical faces.  A good shot of gas propels the bike up anything I have the nuts to try.

A friend rode my bike recently and his comment was, "Your bike is just so easy to ride."  My reply was, "Yes  :)"  Why would I want to make it difficult to ride?  The terrain around here is difficult enough.

You should give a dam about mastering clutch skills. Master the clutch and you will become a way better rider!! A Rekluse is cheating in my opinion. Don't you think if you rode up that gnarly hill by slipping your clutch and master the techniques you would be better way better off and your skills would improve. Giving you greater satisfaction. There is more to riding than just pinning it. It takes some skill way you do it right. Learn to ride slow first and master you technique and you become away better rider in the long run.

So when you play poker do you load the deck? Using a Rekluse is the same thing it is cheating!!!

• Like 1

Oh here we go...If you like your Rekluse, good...if not well fine.  He was asked to give an opinion after giving the tool a second go.  He didn't like the feel.  Now if you don't mind we need to focus on what really matters here!  What is the best two stroke oil, and should I use Rotella?  By the way, now that you rode a real 250, you ready to sell that 480f?  Lol!!  

1112_zpsb9a29d6c.gif

He gave his opinion, your results may very.  I want to try one in a YZ450f some time before I make the decision on a $900 crutch...I mean clutch.  Thanks for the review.  I think I want one of those left hand rear breaks any way, they look like you could get used to them, and have some amazing modulation with the rear tire.  There now that should have covered all the hot topic buttons...Do I really want to push the post button...Damn it! The Doggy did it, he pushed the button...Lol...

well i can see a few pages of debate starting up lol! i can see why some guys might call it cheating, personally i don't as i can't see the problem with anything that makes riding more fun, or easier, in your own context. unless there is a fundamentalist higher being who has dictated that a rekluse is morally wrong and a punishable offence (or 'offense' if the said deity is also american-biased). 

as per the disclaimer, i suggest everyone reads a pile of reviews from different viewpoints. and this review assumes you have good clutch skills, or planning or getting them. 

• Like 1

well i can see a few pages of debate starting up lol! i can see why some guys might call it cheating, personally i don't as i can't see the problem with anything that makes riding more fun, or easier, in your own context. unless there is a fundamentalist higher being who has dictated that a rekluse is morally wrong and a punishable offence (or 'offense' if the said deity is also american-biased).

Other than the "cheating" part I agree totally. I'm not competing against anyone so how can it be cheating? And seriously who really cares if it is?

Of all the miriad of people I ride with on a regular basis, I am the only one with a Rekluse. Nobody else seems to care.

Bruce, I was NOT trying to pick a fight. Just that when I watched the vid you said "I'm not gonna slag it" or words to that effect and then proceeded to essentially slag it. I totally get this is your opinion and the Rekluse is not to your taste but maybe not say yer "not gonna slag it" when your opinion is that you don't like it? I also get the reasons people don't use auto clutches and the limitations thereof. Yep I love mine but each to their own.

Can't we just all get along? ;)

• Like 1

Other than the "cheating" part I agree totally. I'm not competing against anyone so how can it be cheating? And seriously who really cares if it is?

Of all the miriad of people I ride with on a regular basis, I am the only one with a Rekluse. Nobody else seems to care.

Bruce, I was NOT trying to pick a fight. Just that when I watched the vid you said "I'm not gonna slag it" or words to that effect and then proceeded to essentially slag it. I totally get this is your opinion and the Rekluse is not to your taste but maybe not say yer "not gonna slag it" when your opinion is that you don't like it? I also get the reasons people don't use auto clutches and the limitations thereof. Yep I love mine but each to their own.

Can't we just all get along? ;)

Who the frack is Bruce? Is this some Canadian joke thing about beer?

Lol....Canadians....

One group that the rekluse really excels for is folks with nerve issues. Even on my street bike when riding on smooth, open highways and not even touching the clutch lever my left hand tends to go to sleep (well, the fingers 'fed' by the carpal tunnel anyway). It can really be a big issue off road and my hand may have trouble making it through even a 30 mile tightish ride off road. That said, I am holding off on buying a rekluse for my xtrainer and, instead, trying to do what I can to get my hand in shape and also learning not to abuse the clutch so much.