Sign in to follow this  

Right hand Coolant Reservoir Guard?

I have a rad guard on the left hand side but it has dawned on me that not much is protecting the coolant reservoir. Is there some line of protective bracket a available?

Edited by shiftline
  • Like 1

Not that I know of.  The reservoir is a little more forgiving, wont break quite as easy.  And you could still ride home with a broken res, broken rad and your pretty much done.

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm being thick here, but surely if the res breaks/leaks there will be no coolant going to the (functioning) rad?

It is called an "overflow" bottle ... when it gets very hot and expands the coolant goes into that bottle and when it cools back down it gets sucked back into the radiator ... this is what makes it a maintenance free type of system. If you broke your bottle all that happens is the expansion fluid would run out and not be able to suck it back in so you would have to top off the radiator at some point. I do not think breaking those parts in a crash will leave you stranded or cause engine damage or even overheat but, you would want to get the system back the way it should be. 

• Like 5

Like Gnath said, the bottle is used for expansion, follow the hoses, its not part of the actual cooling loop.  When the coolant gets hot and expands it opens the spring in the rad cap and overflows into the coolant tank.  When the coolant cools back down and contracts it is sucked back into the rad.  If you break the coolant tank you will lose whats in it but the rest of the cooling system will still function to get you home or somewhere you can fix it.  Obviously it needs to get fixed soon if you break it, but its not something that will instantly leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 4

Ahhh the beauty of this place! Learnt something new today, cheers fellas!

• Like 3