What did you do to your crf250l today?

Just got back from a quick test ride.  Got my Warp 9 conversion kit from MotoX earlier today.  Went with a 110/70R17 and 150/60R17 Pilot Power 2CTs.  Everything bolted up easy enough, clearance to spare, fitted the Acerbis SUMO fender, and trimmed the guards, torqued everything twice.  Can't belive I've been missing out of this much fun, handling is ridiculously quick, but still stable enough to insure confidence at higher speeds, comfortable on the road, and dead smooth, the front brake is a big improvement.  They include pretty much everything in the kit, mounted and balanced tires, caliper bracket, bearings, rotors, and spacers, got an M model kickstand.  Once everything is fitted, can probably swap back in under an hour if I want to ride trails, and now can get properly knobby offroad tires without having them handle and wear like crap on the street.

20170705_215027.jpg

20170705_215036.jpg

Edited by alucard0822
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Evan D said:

Looks awesome! Looks really expensive too.

LOL, I quit keeping track of the total cost after the Race tech suspension, but at least it's still cheaper than my gun hobby. The kit with mounted tires and fender was $1060 shipped, like most of the other upgrades, I kept the stock parts, so if I ever sell the bike, I have a lot of good aftermarket stuff that I can peddle to try to recoup some of the cost.  I was about due for tires anyway, and these should last a lot longer than another set of knobbies, so it's actually saving money in the long run, at least thats what I told the wife, don't think she bought it.:goofy:

Edited by alucard0822
  • Like 3

Installed my new clutch and springs (Yesterday was having to much fun riding to post) it amazes me the difference something so small can make.  Got a nice surprise rolling on the throttle in second when the rear tire broke free in a corner was a ton of fun.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, alucard0822 said:

LOL, I quit keeping track of the total cost after the Race tech suspension, but at least it's still cheaper than my gun hobby. The kit with mounted tires and fender was $1060 shipped, like most of the other upgrades, I kept the stock parts, so if I ever sell the bike, I have a lot of good aftermarket stuff that I can peddle to try to recoup some of the cost.  I was about due for tires anyway, and these should last a lot longer than another set of knobbies, so it's actually saving money in the long run, at least thats what I told the wife, don't think she bought it.:goofy:

$1060 for the kit including wheels and tires, fender is good. If that was with the front brake parts it's awesome. Where did you get it from?

1 hour ago, Evan D said:

$1060 for the kit including wheels and tires, fender is good. If that was with the front brake parts it's awesome. Where did you get it from?

Just checked, must have had a couple bucks floating around in paypal, total was $1105.80 shipped at motoXindustries.  Includes a 5% "facebook" discount, pretty much anyone can get, not sure what other discounts they offer.  Mounted Michelin pilot power CT2s, 320mm front rotor, caliper bracket, bearings, spacers, stock size rear rotor, Acerbis fender option($15).  Only 2 things I bought that weren't included was a $40 M model kickstand from bikerbitz, and a $9 factory chainguard to hack up, leaving the factory one intact.  Moto X has a lot of options on The website, all include shipping, can get just wheels, parts or tires instead of a full kit.  The owner is awesome (his name is written down at home).  Responded to my e-mail questions the same day after hours, I called because the website placed the order twice, he straightened it out and we talked motorcycles for about 1/2 an hour.  They are a brick & mortar shop out of Utah, and work on bikes.  Knew the rake/trail changes, what tires fit and what wouldn't, and suggestions on setup to keep good handling charachteristics.  So if anyone is interested, would definitely buy from them again.  

• Like 1

Just minor tweaks to the bike today. I adjusted my rear brake pedal to sit a little higher. Just wanted to try it out since I feel like I'm having to press too far down to stop. Also found out I was missing a cotter pin that connects the pedal to the master cylinder. Glad I caught that, future problem avoided! Finished up by adjusting the brake light switch for the new pedal height. Good reminder to check all your brake light switches to make sure they are coming on with the right amount of input once in a while. I think I'm going to order the folding brake pedal on my next parts order. 

• Like 2

Bought new brake pads because my back brakes seem very weak. Went to put the new brake pads on, and it turned out I have a leak in my brake line at the banjo bolt. Check yours.

• Like 2

Went to lunch on the LRP and took it to the bike shop to get it inspected, also hit up a couple other shops. One finally got a Rally in and I was able to see it. I'm definitely keeping mine. I really do not like the look, the instrument/windscreen tower or the suspension. While the LRP was probably sprung for a 120lb rider the Rally must be sprung for a 60lb one. Just moving the bike upright and off the side stand drops the rear 6 inches... Something isn't right there... The front is not as bad but a quick hands width measurement of the fork tube shows about the same as I am now with the RT setup, about 10" of fork tube.

• Like 1

had the same impression of the Rally.  Greater suspension travel is one of the things lacking in the L, and the Rally's different setup looked promising, but they waste any gains with the ridiculously soft springs they insist on using.   Not a huge fan of the "rally" looks either, but do like the HRC graphics.  Odd thing is Honda has a few "ignored" models that are a fantastic value, and might be a better way to go for most than the trendy new model.  The dealer I saw the $5900 Rally model at had a new '15 CB500X sitting close by for $4000, granted it's more on-road oriented, but double the power, looks good,  more practical size around town, and the difference in price just about covers a sweet Rally raid suspension/ wheel/tire package and some racks.  Would run circles around a Rally for about the same cost.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alucard0822 said:

just about covers a sweet Rally raid suspension/ wheel/tire package

Adding the complete $2,899 Rally Raid Stage 3 kit raises the suspension travel 1.2 inches in front and 2 inches in the rear. Ground clearance is also raised 2.6 inches while the seat height goes up 2.4 inches.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/rally-raid-cb500x-review/

• Like 1

Installed a new set of handguards today. Got them off Amazon for $30. Fit/finish is ok, but they look pretty good. Can't complain for the price. Still have to replace my broken clutch lever and torn grip 

IMG_0608.JPG

• Like 1

@MotoAlex @mott555

As someone who has a tendency to hit trees almost every off road ride. I've completely destroyed two sets of cheap Handguards. In the end I upgraded to HighwayDirtBike Ultimate Handguards w/ big bolt option and folding mirrors options. Haven't looked back since. The Handguards have survived being slammed into trees, the ground, slid across asphalt and gravel, and they just keep doing their job. The only thing I broke was my passenger side folding mirror (the lens part) because I dumped the bike hard offroad when my back tire decided to walk up the side of a truck rut in the field we were in... HDB sent me a pair of mirror replacements I just had to pick up shipping (although, I have yet to replace the lens)...

• Like 3