KTM DUKE 690 About to buy one any owners here?

Hey guys, I'm in Los Angeles and have a few deals lined up. I can get a 2013 Duke with for 9,000 flat out the door or a 2014 Duke for 9,500 out the door same dealership. I've negotiated away all the BS fees Bike setup, freight etc... What is your opinion on the 2013 vs 2014 deal? I know the bikes are identical and there aren't any real changes between the years. Is my pricing ok? Should I ask for any extras such as break in servicing or a percentage off towards future services etc? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been riding mine for a week now, it's definitely not a cruising or highway bike. Too much wind and the powerband is wrong. It's definitely a great handling canyon or track bike, lots of shifting to keep it in the rev range and lots of down low power and torque. Bike doesn't like to be below 3k rpm it bucks and vibrates. Smoothest between 4-6k rpm. I ride mine on MAP setting 2 (Race) always. It's the most responsive setting and feels the most comfortable to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just took it in for the break in service this week. It has the most current mapping and setting #2 is twitchy for sure. Thats the " race" mode. Setting 3 is very smooth for a single cylinder thumper and I think it has to do with TPS settings in map #2 and sensitivity since its a throttle sensor not a cable.

I also bought a new helmet Shoei RF1200 and it really diminishes the wind buffeting at speeds. Much quieter helmet too and the wind feels easier to cut through until about 100mph. Not bad for a commuter now and tons of fun for weekend canyon rides.

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering the Duke also because I like the "standard" riding position for around town, and the relatively light weight. I already have a sport bike for highway. How does it do for around town?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had mine for about a month now. 2014 690 Duke ABS. Love it so far. It likes to kick the rear end out on low speed corners due to the torque which I love. I cant wait to figure out how to delete this retarded cat though. I have heard removing it helps with the low speed bucking.

Can't find the link but there was a tuning box from Australia, that dealt with the stock lean mixtures.

I was seeking to purchase a duke awhile back. Decided to buys Z1000. Sam setup as a Duke (street fighter). I've only added pipe and a power commander and let me tell you it is scarry fast. Awsome power and never kicks the rear out on turns. Like you guys said this bikes offer no wind protection. After committing to work and back 100plus miles. I'm use to the wind. Also if you could go for the bigger Duke you won't have the low end stumble, I demo rode it and also loved it but I got a way better deal on my Z. Just my 2 cents

• 7 months later...