Sign in to follow this  

Did I just hurt my new bike?

Well guys im not running on much sleep so please forgive me but here's how it goes

My dad recently got hurt pretty bad and I have been staying at the hospital for the past couple days making sure everything is ok so I finally got home yesterday night and washed my bike after we had to leave it when we took him the the ER so I took a towel and used it to cover the intake hole and stretched out over well I washed the bike blew it off with a compresor then proceeded to start the bike half asleep with the towel in the intake I let it run for 5 minutes thinking huh to us running funny then cut it off lived everything and went to bed then main thing here is did I hurt anything? I really hope I didn't this bike has 35 minutes of run time max after the total rebuild anyway thank you for everything guys

Ben

WP_20140412_10_48_10_Pro_zpstgb95aq8.jpg

WP_20140412_10_48_45_Pro_zpst1kmpbhs.jpg

Edited by Benfro89

Doubt you hurt it as well unless the towel was dirty or became really frayed after running it which could mean some fibers could have gotten into the engine.

• Like 1

I doubt you hurt it.

Doubt you hurt it as well unless the towel was dirty or became really frayed after running it which could mean some fibers could have gotten into the engine.

Nope, you didn't hurt it.

Thanks guys that makes me feel better the towel was a wash cloth and it was clean I can't believe I did that

Thanks guys that makes me feel better the towel was a wash cloth and it was clean I can't believe I did that

It was running like crap because your intake was plugged :)  other than that, nothing happened.  As soon as you get the rag out of your intake and reinstall the filter, your bike will never know what happened.

It was running like crap because your intake was plugged :) other than that, nothing happened. As soon as you get the rag out of your intake and reinstall the filter, your bike will never know what happened.

Thanks again that's nice to hear I just broke that bike in Saturday and that's how my dad got hurt riding it

Thanks again that's nice to hear I just broke that bike in Saturday and that's how my dad got hurt riding it

Hopefully your dad is ok.  I hate to see guys get hurt riding. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys it scared the snot out of me especially since we were at our home track hopefully it will all be ok he ended up breaking most of his ribs on his right side punctured a long and broke his collar bone in 2 places

Hey guys also when I start the bike (first two stroke) I have a real hard time idleing it I have the idle set so thier is none so I just try to use the throttle by the way I was pretty pumped after the 6 month rebuild it started first kick funny enough thith I forgot the gas so I had to mess with it for a bit on and off during the first warm up

Give it enough throttle to keep it running. Turn air screw in, then slowly back it out till the engine speed picks up and stop there . Set your idle screw to your desired idle speed.

Hate to hear your dad is hurt. Most of us have our share of old injuries. Its all part of riding. If he was motoing, my hats off to him. Im a 50 year old puss. I stick to trails , harescrambles . My wheels stay on the ground,lol ,,,,freakin old age

Sorry to hear about your dad! Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery!

• Like 1

Give it enough throttle to keep it running. Turn air screw in, then slowly back it out till the engine speed picks up and stop there . Set your idle screw to your desired idle speed.

Hate to hear your dad is hurt. Most of us have our share of old injuries. Its all part of riding. If he was motoing, my hats off to him. Im a 50 year old puss. I stick to trails , harescrambles . My wheels stay on the ground,lol ,,,,freakin old age

Sorry to hear about your dad! Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the help guys and ill tell him what you guys said it will put a smile on his face. Actually he crashed not in a moto but on our track he was helping me break in my new 250 I got to tell you guys after it happened i felt like beating the crap out of the bike with a sledge hammer but i guess you got to remember its no the bikes fault

oh one thing guys how long does the break in process take ive read that after a 15 minute hard session its over so id guess my 30 minute session should have sealed the deal? also how long should i run non synthetic? 

oh one thing guys how long does the break in process take ive read that after a 15 minute hard session its over so id guess my 30 minute session should have sealed the deal? also how long should i run non synthetic? 

You are probably good to run it.  I always run the same oil for break in that I run after break in.  I don't think it matters much.  For break in, the most important thing is to put a load on the rings, running site laps for about 20 minutes will do that, then run it like you normally ride. 

You are probably good to run it.  I always run the same oil for break in that I run after break in.  I don't think it matters much.  For break in, the most important thing is to put a load on the rings, running site laps for about 20 minutes will do that, then run it like you normally ride. 

Sweet some im ok to let it idle now? as in its not gonna mess up the break in because im all for the hard break in 

Your fine, I have had filters plug during a race and starve the bike for air so bad it felt like something major wrong in the engine, major loss of power and new air filter fixes it without damage. Starving for air is not the problem, you may foul up the plug. starving the bike for fuel is where things get bad.

• Like 1

Hey guys I see the pros do not let thier two strokes idle (always blipping throttle to keep it idling so how do you start the dang thing? I mean I try my best to hold the throttle open a little bit and kick it over but it's tricky any suggestions thank you

I've got my 2000 CR250 set to just barely keep running at idle (dies sometimes after 10-20 seconds) and on a cold start I don't give her any throttle whatsoever with the choke on. Choke will make it idle up anyways so even without an idle to keep the engine running, you should be able to start it with no throttle. Btw mine is in rebuild mode now just waiting on the jug to get back from re-plating. Can't wait to bring her back to life and get back on the riding scene. Due to work and family, haven't ridden in years. Had this bike since 02 and raced it at 59th and Douglas before it got shut down :-(. Looking to give the track on 35 south of Norman a try and get back to racing this summer. Sorry to ramble but I see your from OK.

• Like 1