Sign in to follow this  

2002 WR426 carburator issues

New to ThumperTalk

I just bought this bike.Finally figured out how to START IT! Warmed it up with the choke on for @1min. Pushed the choke back in and it runs at a pretty high RPM. Ran the bike for 10 minutes down the road. RPM's are still high. I can go down the road without touching the throttle at a pretty good pace. Now if I brake the bike in any gear to the point of almost stalling the RPM's kick right down to what the idle screw is set for...but just touch the throttle and in instantly kicks up to high idle. Is this normal?  

Not normal. Make sure the throttle cables, throttle tube, carb throttle plate are not binding or misadjusted not allowing the carb to rest on the throttle idle screw.

Edited by keenxxx

That's called hanging idle, and it is very common when a carb that has  not been maintained or adjusted properly.

This is for the newer carb, but most applies:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/protips/141_0707_keihin_fcr_carb_rebuild/

Then read this at the top of the forum on how to adjust your fuel screw.

Thanks guys for the comments. It was a total carb adjustment. The idle screw was screwed in way to far. So after a 10 min ride I decided to back the screw out till it was about to stall and turned it in a 1/2 turn. The air/fuel needed to be adjusted. I am @ 1500' higher than where I bought the bike. So adjusted that till the bike sounded good. This bike RIPS!!! One thing I noticed...I needed to use the hot start if I try to start the bike after 10 min of sitting.  Thanks again