Sign in to follow this  

So I caught fire while riding my DR-Z

Hey everyone! Despite the title, I'm alive and well. I just wanted to get on here and share my experience I had last week on my DR-Z.

So last week I decided to ride my DR-Z to class in the morning around 9am. Since it's not yet summer, the temperature for that morning was around 55. I'm the type of person who wants it to be 75-80 all year round so I figured I should bundle up with my coveralls since I would be going down the interstate. This ended up being the thing that started it all.

I got about 10 miles from my house and hopped on the interstate to head up to class. After traveling about 2 miles, I started to feel a slight warmth on my right leg, about half way up it. I looked down and noticed that my leg was awfully close to my exhaust (MRD/SSW with no heat shield). I then moved it away and kept on riding.

Come to find out, my coveralls had actually been resting against my exhaust for an unknown amount of time and had actually caught fire. As I kept going, the warmth on my leg came back and got exponentially more intense. It quickly went from a "I need to move my leg" to an "Ouch" to an "OMG $%&@ ouch $%@& !" I was able to reach down and grab my leg (I still had no idea I was on fire at this point) and pulled up my coveralls to circulate some air underneath. Luckily, I believe this action put out any flames that still remained up my coveralls.

I whipped the bike into the emergency lane to figure out what happened. So when I did, I saw the aftermath. Small hole in my coveralls, bottom lower 8 inches of that leg burned, front of my jeans in that spot burned, boot laces melted together and the fire went throught a pair of long underwear and long sock directly onto my shin. I didn't really get a chance to assess the damage as much as I could so I hopped back on and went to class.

Luckily, the only thing that happened to my bike is one little stain on the exhaust that I guess occured from the coveralls contacting it. Since then, I was able to remove the stain completely. I would post up a picture of what my leg looks like then and now (it actually looks worse a week later), but I don't know if bloody wound photos break forum rules haha. I completely lost feeling over the whole wound and I'm just now getting back about half of it.

So to sum that up, I caught on fire while riding to class, checked myself over and sat through and hour and a half class smelling like a fireplace. So riders beware, either don't wear coveralls while riding or invest in some heat wrap!

I'm attaching pictures of the damage that occured from this!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Sounds like you need a heat shield for your MRD.... :ride:

Edited by ebrabaek

Holy shirt, I mean, pants!

Ouch! Get a heat shield on that puppy!

Hope you're alright.

Wow, gnarly. I melted the leg of my first gear suit, must be fire retardant!!! Lucky for me

Holy shirt, I mean, pants!

Ouch! Get a heat shield on that puppy!

Hope you're alright.

Yes, I'm alright. At first it was kinda scary but just a few hours after it happened I began to find it hilarious.

Wow man,  that is some serious shit,   glad you are ok,    

i give my son rides on the bikes a lot,  he sits in front of me and rests his leg right on the MRD/SSW,  it took 2 melted right shoes for me to realize what was going on,  lol

i now have header wrap on it,  works great,  you can touch it with your skin even after the bike has been ridden a few hours. 

you can see it in this pic

rowher 4 13 3.jpg

• Like 1

After I almost set myself on fire I put header wrap around that spot. Problem solved:)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397497783.718238.jpg

Wow man, get well soon!

That is some serious claim to fame though! :smirk:

Edited by e_scourboutis