2002? rm125

My neighbors got a 2002 or 2003 (hes not sure which year it is) rm125.

Anyways its all apart including the tranny. He said he got it from a guy who blew a tranny gear while it was still running fine. He took it apart and bought the replacement gear(s) but never put the bike back together. Anyways he says all the parts are there and it should run when its back together.

He's thinking he wants $400-$500 for the whole thing. What are your thoughts on this guys?

Thanks ahead of time

Depending on condition of the parts you can see it might be worth that much just in parts.  I'd offer him three hundred and start a long term project.  Get a manual and go to town.  Here's a hint, if the swingarm is tapered towards the rear it's a 2002+  If it is not tapered he's lying or got lied to by the guy that sold it to him.  Foolproof way to tell is with the VIN but I forget which digit is the year indicator.  Maybe someone else can enlighten us both?

Depending on condition of the parts you can see it might be worth that much just in parts.  I'd offer him three hundred and start a long term project.  Get a manual and go to town.  Here's a hint, if the swingarm is tapered towards the rear it's a 2002+  If it is not tapered he's lying or got lied to by the guy that sold it to him.  Foolproof way to tell is with the VIN but I forget which digit is the year indicator.  Maybe someone else can enlighten us both?

Great thanks for the advice