Sign in to follow this  

premix gas

what is the shelf life for premixed gas for my sons kx-65? does it separate?

Maybe over time?  How often does he ride it? If you let it set for a while, you should drain the carb and the gas tank.  I shake my bike back and fourth even if it doesn't set for long before I ride it, and i shake the hell out of the 5 gallon gas can before filling up...  Hell sometimes when I walk by the can i just grab it and shake it lol.  If you're worried about it, don't question it. Drain it and put fresh gas/mix in.  Better to throw fresh in than replace a piston...

he rides at least once a week sometimes twice. I was just wonder for weeks like this week. We got gas yesterday 2 gal of 93 mixed with maxima k2 but because of easter we will prob not ride this sunday so that gas may last us 2-3 weeks.

he rides at least once a week sometimes twice. I was just wonder for weeks like this week. We got gas yesterday 2 gal of 93 mixed with maxima k2 but because of easter we will prob not ride this sunday so that gas may last us 2-3 weeks.

You should be fine then man.  I've left mine in the bike for a month or two.  I shake the bike before loading it up, plus the ride to location... A quick shake and a top off when I get there.  Never had any issues.

Shoot I'm running a bit rich on idle right now. Spooooooooooge.

If it's going to be or has been a month , drain the tank AND THE CARB . Just to be on the safe side, you dont want pump gas separating out or worse forming shellac deposits in the carb and fuel system. If it's gonna sit, throw a little stabil in the tank and can , run it thru (Before it's gonna sit, not after) If the fuel sat for too long, just use it in the lawnmower or if its only a month or 2 in the car .

If it's going to sit more than a month, I also suggest draing the carb to keep it from gelling. As for the oil/fuel mix, it will not separate. I gurantee it. To prove this, I had a clear jug of mixed fuel that i use for my weedeater sit in the shed all winter. after 6 months, there is no sediment or oil build up at the bottom. Looks as pink/purple as the day I mixed it.

BTW, my weedeater runs the same fuel as the bikes, VP110/93/Dominator.

Just took my kdx out for its first ride yesterday. Fuel sat in the bike for just over a year since that's how long it took for my tibial plateau fracture to heal. Fired second kick and ran perfectly the same as the day I put it away. Go figure...

Just took my kdx out for its first ride yesterday. Fuel sat in the bike for just over a year since that's how long it took for my tibial plateau fracture to heal. Fired second kick and ran perfectly the same as the day I put it away. Go figure...

Glad to hear you healed up !  and the bike ran ... i wouldn't make a habit of letting it sit a year. ya got lucky  :rolleyes: