Sign in to follow this  

should I use a torque wrench

How important is it to use a trorque wrench when putting your cyclinder back on?

I guess you should rather ask it another way, "if I over tighten it, am I prepared to buy another one? Can I afford another one? Can I find another one? Can I wait a period of time for another one?" if the answer to those questions are all yes, then no, you don't need to use a torque wrench, but if you answer no to any one of them, then it is a resounding yes, and not worth the risk of over-tightening .

Extremely important and you mite need a set of crows claws to get to the bolts.

Edited by Bearlakeburton

I went out and bought a torque wrench but I wasn't able to get on two of the nuts

You will need a set of crow claws(as stated above) or a adapter specifically for dirt bikes.

Does anyone know where I can buy these

Go to motion pros website they have an adapter tighten the cylinder base nuts. Its got 2 sides. A 14mm and a 12mm.

And you'll have to do a little math to calculate the new torque to apply from you're wrench because that type of adapter changes the leverage and torque values

Go to motion pros website they have an adapter tighten the cylinder base nuts. Its got 2 sides. A 14mm and a 12mm.

And you'll have to do a little math to calculate the new torque to apply from you're wrench because that type of adapter changes the leverage and torque values

Not if you use them the right way.  The adapters belong on the torque wrench at right angles to the wrench handle, in which position the torque applied can be read directly from the wrench without compensation.

Use a torque wrench, not only for the cylinder but also for your triples clamp bolts, axle pinch bolts and a few other places where specific torque does matter. The other thing you really have to watch is after you heat cycle it a few times, re-check the torque . Then check it again after a good long ride.

They can and sometimes do loosen up . Good luck

You don't really need a torque wrench for the base bolts but its necessary for the head bolts.  And yes, its almost more necessary for fork pinch bolts.  You can do a lot of damage if those get over-tightened.

Edited by 1987CR250R
  • Like 1

Not if you use them the right way. The adapters belong on the torque wrench at right angles to the wrench handle, in which position the torque applied can be read directly from the wrench without compensation.

I've never thought of putting my adapter at a right angle. I have always used the supplied formula to make adjustments to torque value I set on the wrench with the adapter inline with the wrench . I am going to try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

Yea just buy one of the Pittsburgh 3/8 drive wrenches. They're 20 dollars but they work and are accurate.

I got mine for $10 with a coupon and they are pretty accurate.

Does anyone know where I can buy these

Napa auto parts is where i got mine, and they are cheap and to the same quality of professional tool brands. You will hear them under the name "Crowfoot wrenches"