Aftermarket electric horn/headlight

I have an XR650R that I'm attempting to wire an aftermarket horn to. I'm also replacing the stock headlight with the Polisport MX headlight. I'm not installing a battery or doing anything with the stator. I had a 2000 650R for 11 years and everything functioned fine. Unfortunately I didn't wire the last bike nor did I ever pay attention to how it was wired.

I successfully wired the tail/brake light. The wiring of the headlight and horn to my new Moose Racing switch is a bit over my head. I have visited many sites and read dozens of posts and explanations regarding wiring issues. I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm doing nor am I smart enough to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Stock 650R system is AC.  The horn requires DC power, so you would need to install a Regulator/Rectifier.  Go to the Baja Designs website and you should be able to find a wiring schematic for a kickstart dual sport kit.

Bike rectifiers additionally require a capacitor or battery to produce smooth DC current.  Most people use a capacitor.  Some things like bulbs can function with the poor DC current; I don't know about horns.

Horns additionally consume a lot of amps, so you'd probably need a capacitor or battery just for the energy storge function.

The factory stator doesn't produce many watts, so you'll need to be conscious of its limitation.

I'm making my bike "Michigan legal.". It's a bare minimum. I just need to have a functioning tail/brake light, and a headlight with high and low beams. The horn could be one you squeeze from a pedal bike but I didn't think it would be too much work to have an electric horn. (DOT tires and a mirror)

Edited by 01Hondaxr

Order terminated. Baja Designs sites states that a need an "unwired" regulator for custom applications. I'll keep reading and listening for a bit before I move forward. Thanks for the information so far....

I used a 13v battery to power the horn; battery is recharged at home. This way I don't have to mess with DC and rectifiers and capacity BS.

Edited by Terminatr

I'm starting to understand! Now, for my application, do I purchase the regulator pictured above or this one...... I believe that I'll need to purchase a battery too. Next year I plan on installing a trail computer. Will this battery be sufficient...

My next question is to where on the bike to install these items. Under the seat or behind the headlight?

1397647206524.jpg

1397647320551.jpg

Edited by 01Hondaxr

I kept my system all ac except for the horn & I mounted a rectifier at horn only. I installed the rect just under the triple clamps, (under the top set) I believe I tie wrapped it on.  I dont care for batteries, if you can get away with your inspection without.

Update....

No rectifier or regulator and headlight works fine! At an idle the light is a little dim but as soon as I twist the throttle it full on. Super easy and money saved.

I kept my system all ac except for the horn & I mounted a rectifier at horn only. I installed the rect just under the triple clamps, (under the top set) I believe I tie wrapped it on.  I dont care for batteries, if you can get away with your inspection without.

Do you have any schematics or pictures of your setup?  I have an AC horn mounted on my dual-sported XR600, but it only works at low idle.  I bought a Moose Racing rectifier (P/N 2112-0772) to give me DC, but I can't figure out the wiring.  It has one wire with a connector for a screw mount, and another wire with a bullet connector.

I'd like to avoid having to add a battery to my system, as it works fine with my Ricky Stator and Baja Designs parts -- except for the horn.

Thanks.

Do you have any schematics or pictures of your setup?  I have an AC horn mounted on my dual-sported XR600, but it only works at low idle.  I bought a Moose Racing rectifier (P/N 2112-0772) to give me DC, but I can't figure out the wiring.  It has one wire with a connector for a screw mount, and another wire with a bullet connector.

I'd like to avoid having to add a battery to my system, as it works fine with my Ricky Stator and Baja Designs parts -- except for the horn.

Thanks.

Great.  Doing a search on how to get my horn working with my Moose Racing regulator, and I come across my own post from two years ago.

I'm running a horn on an all AC system, I ordered a 6v vespa horn like this one... cheap and sounds like you stepped on a duck, just wire it in, no regulator necessary.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MILANO-SHELL-HORN-6V-AC-CHROME-VESPA-V50-PV-50N-VBB-VLB-VNB-JUSTROYAL-/321321004244?hash=item4ad0396cd4:g:yvcAAOxydlFS-hrY&vxp=mtr

There are a few variants of XR650Rs that have slight differences to comply with local regulations depending on where the bike was sold on market. European models have everything to be road legal for instance. I guess you are trying to get your bike plated right?

Download shop manual and observe wiring diagram for EU or DK models. All you need to do is to buy those components and use 14-16 AWG wires to hook them up. You could also take a look at ebay and buy stock compnents cheap, then you dont need worry about faults too much. Although a multimeter would be helpful.