Sign in to follow this  

BRP rubber mounted steering damper?

I am going to pick up a steering damper for my ktm 300. I am torn between a solid mount and the BRP poly isolated mount. Any experience with them. I have read that it dosent help as much with vibration as one might think and the bushings add a vague feel to the steering. It also seems like the bushings could be a wear item as well.

Any input?

I ride with the renthal Kevlar grips and they seem to help a good deal with vibration themselves.

I am going to pick up a steering damper for my ktm 300. I am torn between a solid mount and the BRP poly isolated mount. Any experience with them. I have read that it dosent help as much with vibration as one might think and the bushings add a vague feel to the steering. It also seems like the bushings could be a wear item as well.

Any input?

I ride with the renthal Kevlar grips and they seem to help a good deal with vibration themselves.

i think that rubber mounts mostly help keeping you from bending your bars

Here's a long drawn out post I made elsewhere on TT about the BRP rubber mounted sub mount:

I broke my lower bar clamps on my 690 in a high speed crash in the desert around thanksgiving, and had been considering a submount to go with my Scott's that had been sitting on my work bench anyway, so I bought the BRP rubber mounted SUB mount. Very clean looking (especially with the Fastway FIT handgaurds that I traded from my other bike) and straight forward install. I won't lie and tell you that I can tell a big difference in vibration in my hands, but I can see out of the mirrors on my dual sport much more clearly so the rubber mount had to of reduced vibrations. I'm currently running 14/50 gearing so I too have to stay at a pretty high RPM to go down the highway.

To be fair, I never really noticed much vibration in the bars on this bike to begin with. I don't notice the Scott's anymore either but I sure notice when I turn it off, so I may have just got used to it.

If I get on the bike while it is up on the stand, I can push down on one side or the other of the bars and see that they are "flexing" with the rubber mounts. That tells me that they can deflect/absorb shock similar to (but not in quite the same manner as) how Flexx bars do. It does not feel like the same mushy rubber bar mount design that my Honda's had which allowed the bars to twist left to right in relation to the forks. The BRP RMSUB also keeps the stabilizer solid mounted which in theory would improve it's responsiveness.

I looked at it as another small improvement in suspension, kind of like race car builders look for 100 places to loose 1lb vs 1 place to lose 100lbs... very small incremental gains that may go unnoticed alone but add up to a substantial improvement.

...Oh yeah, and I just liked the way it looks!

I can also attest to it's durability. I ate it in the snow going ~40mph earlier this year and I "jogged it out" (I stepped off the bike on the way down and proceeded to jog away while the bike took a nap in some trailside rubble) while laying the bike down on the right side a few months ago. Neither were particularly bad crashes but the bars stayed right were they should have. My buddy's Husky didn't fair quite as well, he took almost identical spills on the same 2 rides and both resulted in us having to unbolt upper and lower bar mounts to realign and then retighten. The time in the snow actually bent one of his through bolts that hold the bar mount to the top triple so he just dealt with it for the rest of the ride and replaced the bolt when he got home. In other words, this rubber mounting works much better than most factory rubber mounted bar setups.

The ONLY thing that I don't like is that I cannot slide my forks up in the clamps very far (11mm including the cap) but that probably isn't an issue in most applications. I 100% recommend this setup!

20121211_172901_zpsb6be3dd9.jpg

I have the red "medium" bushings in right now (the blue "soft" bushings were not available when I bought mine) but I think for $8 (they are included in the kit if you buy it now) the blue ones might be worth a try.

Im running the BRP with the blue mounts and Scotts damper and the BRP top bar mounts so I can use the Cycra pro bend handguards.

I absolutely love this setup.

brp2_zps47247a4f.jpg

brp1_zps4d64ce2c.jpg