Hi I am 15 and thinking of buying a dirt bike soon. I have found that I want either the CRF250X or the WR250F but im not sure which one. I have read that the hondas have a lot of valve problems and the WR engine will last longer. I also read that the WR is a little heavier. Is there anything else you guys can think of about each bike that would be better for someone 5 foot 9, 135 lbs. In your guys opinion which is better and why. Thanks.

Both seem EXTREMELY heavy for a 135 lb person.  I believe the valve problems on the Hondas have been fixed, so depending on the year you are looking at, that could be a moot point.  

If you are hung up on those two, I would say the CRF would be the better option b/c of the weight savings.

• Like 1

Both seem EXTREMELY heavy for a 135 lb person.  I believe the valve problems on the Hondas have been fixed, so depending on the year you are looking at, that could be a moot point.  

If you are hung up on those two, I would say the CRF would be the better option b/c of the weight savings.

Hi,

If these bikes are to heavy for me what would be a better bike for someone my size?

What is the weight difference between CRF250X and WR250F. 

What kind of riding are you doing?  How much experience do you have?  My first inclination is to suggest a 125 2-stroke.  

Mostly trail riding. I have rode friends bikes but never owned one myself.

WR it's just a better bike. Don't worry about the weight. 250 pounds is a lighter trail bike.

Both the X and WR 250s are an old man's/ lady's bike. At 15 and for a first set of wheels they are a poor choice.

Then what bike would you recommend. I want a bike I can have for a while.  It will be mainly for trails, but something that can go fast.

Then what bike would you recommend. I want a bike I can have for a while.  It will be mainly for trails, but something that can go fast.

It totally depends on what you want to spend versus what kind of maintenance you are willing to do.

At 15 (unless you have a mechanically-oriented guide like a dad or brother) I would typically recommend a 2 stroke like a KDX or if you have more cash then one of the KTMs like a 200XC-W. You can always buy a nice Japanese 125 for $1500 or so and have the suspension revalved for a few hundred, that's a lot of bang for the buck.

Racing 4strokes are a lot more complicated to keep up and running right, both engine and fuel system.

The CRF-X and WR are really tamed down and heavy compared to their MX counterparts. I have a CRF250R and CRF450R with many thousands in woods modifications. They are relatively light and fast but they need a lot of love and $$ to stay running tops.

I suggest getting a 125 2 stroke I live in pa and that's what I have and only ride woods. It's an awesome bike cheap to maintain and fairly simple. As long as you stay on the pipe you shouldn't have any problems

A 125 will not be a good first bike because if you are not familiar with how a 2 stroke rides the powerband is like a light switch, on or off. You should be looking at a crf or ttr 230 for a first bike and they are both trail bikes.

• Like 1

A 125 will not be a good first bike because if you are not familiar with how a 2 stroke rides the powerband is like a light switch, on or off. You should be looking at a crf or ttr 230 for a first bike and they are both trail bikes.

or do what this guy said that's also a very good bike easier than race 4 stroke engines to work on also

What part of California will you be riding?  What kind of trails?  Are you looking to buy used or new?  Both are excellent bikes.  Both of your choices are green sticker.  How big are you?  I have a 17 year old son who is a little timid on a dirt bike and he is about 120 lbs soaking wet.  I have also seen a few 15 year olds that were over 6 foot and 250 lbs. 

If you are vertically challenged these bikes are nice because of the electric start.  It is nice if you stall the bike on the side of a goat trail with a 1000 foot drop to one side and you are 5 foot 4 trying to figure how to kick start it.. or just hit the button and you are going agian. 

If this is not terrain you are riding then other bikes may be better.

What part of California will you be riding?  What kind of trails?  Are you looking to buy used or new?  Both are excellent bikes.  Both of your choices are green sticker.  How big are you?  I have a 17 year old son who is a little timid on a dirt bike and he is about 120 lbs soaking wet.  I have also seen a few 15 year olds that were over 6 foot and 250 lbs. 

If you are vertically challenged these bikes are nice because of the electric start.  It is nice if you stall the bike on the side of a goat trail with a 1000 foot drop to one side and you are 5 foot 4 trying to figure how to kick start it.. or just hit the button and you are going agian. 

If this is not terrain you are riding then other bikes may be better.

Hi, 

I am 5 foot 9, 135lbs (and growing). I will probably be doing most of my riding at Hollister Hills and Metcalf. I will probably be riding fire roads and single track mostly. I will most likely be getting a used bike hopefully 2007 or newer. 

Both of these bikes would work excellent for what you want. If there is ano chance you might want to try your hand at motocross,I would recommend different bikes. They both can do mx but not ideal for the job. They are trail bikes. They are so close to each other in specs I would say go for the one you can get the best deal on. The Honda is prone to valve issues but allegedly this is in the past now. Even so stainless steel valves and machine work may be in order. Once this is done they are pretty bullet proof. The WR has valve issues also as all modern 4 strokes do but not as known for it as the Honda. I own a 2004 CRF250X and I had the valves replaced at AS. Racing at around the 100 hour mark. They have been fine since then. I have never ridden a WR 250 but I do have a 2006 WR450. I have not had any issues with it. As a matter of fact I might recommend it over the 250. It has very controllable power and makes a bunch more of it than the 250. It is not that much heavier and the 450s are more reliable. I hardly ride my crf now that I have the WR. Also look at 2 strokes as mentioned. They can be had cheaper in many cases. I also ride 2002 kx250 and I only paid 1450 for it 4 years ago. If I am riding anything MX. Related or big jumps the KX gets the nod. I like the modern KTM 2 strokes but they are typically more expensive here on the used market.

• Like 1

Both of these bikes would work excellent for what you want. If there is ano chance you might want to try your hand at motocross,I would recommend different bikes. They both can do mx but not ideal for the job. They are trail bikes. They are so close to each other in specs I would say go for the one you can get the best deal on. The Honda is prone to valve issues but allegedly this is in the past now. Even so stainless steel valves and machine work may be in order. Once this is done they are pretty bullet proof. The WR has valve issues also as all modern 4 strokes do but not as known for it as the Honda. I own a 2004 CRF250X and I had the valves replaced at AS. Racing at around the 100 hour mark. They have been fine since then. I have never ridden a WR 250 but I do have a 2006 WR450. I have not had any issues with it. As a matter of fact I might recommend it over the 250. It has very controllable power and makes a bunch more of it than the 250. It is not that much heavier and the 450s are more reliable. I hardly ride my crf now that I have the WR. Also look at 2 strokes as mentioned. They can be had cheaper in many cases. I also ride 2002 kx250 and I only paid 1450 for it 4 years ago. If I am riding anything MX. Related or big jumps the KX gets the nod. I like the modern KTM 2 strokes but they are typically more expensive here on the used market.

A 450 seems a bit big for me. I dont have any interest in racing motocross at this moment but the tracks look fun to ride. Are these bikes to heavy for me though. Would a 125 2 stroke be better. My dad would prefer if I got a 4 stroke. 

***I just looked, The WR450f weights 245 lbs. And the WR250f weighs 254. And the seat hight on 450 is .2 inches lower*** I got this info off of yamahas website

Dimensions and specs are almost identical except 450 is a little lighter. Is this right?

Edited by james06

IMHO:

1. Either of those are good choices. I don't keep a close track on Honda's, but I really though their valve "issues" were early model CRF250F's, not the X because of the Ti valves. I thought the X had SS valves but coul be wrong.

2. At 5'9" you are not too small or too light for either one..

3. Do not get a 450, power is not your friend on single track (or when your learning). I've had a 400, a 300 and a 450, you wont see me on them again!

4. In my experience maintenance difference between 4T and 2T, for C/D level trail riding on those bikes is not that much, I'd check the valves of a used bike when you get it and at 50 hour intervals, and change the oil often. My '07 KTM250SXF was still in spec at 120 hours. My 07 YZ450 was a little tight on the exhaust side @ ~60 hours. If you're not screaming around the track at 12000rpm, they are really not what I'd call "high maintenance".

5. Are 2-strokes good for trails? For me, they are better for trails and 4 strokes are better for track, but other people have other preferences, it's probably just what your used too, so either one should be fine for you.

Edited by Phineas7
  • Like 2

The. Wr450 has good powered and comes on very controllable. I have ridden my 450 on single track and it feels right at home. When you need it power is only a twist of the the throttle away. I am not trying to sell anyone on the 450 just giving my experience. It gets the power to the ground a lot better than most 2 strokes. The power is on part with a 250 2 stroke and carries it over a much wider rpm range. On mine the suspension likes to track easier on narrow trails and doesn't deflect as much on sharp edge rocks or roots. I have found it much easier to ride than both my CRF250X and my KX250.

The CRFX has the same titanium valves as the CRFR. It is slightly more reliable than the R only because it is typically not reved or ridden as hard. You treat an X like an R and it will have the same issues.