Sign in to follow this  

1999 suzuki rm250

Can anybody give me info on this bike

I'm possibly getting one will this be a overall awesome bike it's in very good condition just rebuilt not even 10 hrs ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397495560.468324.jpg

I use to have a '99 RM250, nice bike!  They do have a decent history of being reliable but I would still like to see some receipts for the top end rebuild, especially if he wants to charge more for it.

The RM250 in the picture that you posted does look good and is worth seeing in person, just remember that you are looking at a 15 year old bike.  So the brake pads, wheel bearings, suspension bearings, leaking suspension and anything else that might fail over time (including the top end) needs to be looked at.  Keep in mind that it costs just as much to fix an old bike as it does a new bike.

I am currently finishing off a 2000 Rm 250 rebuild so here are the biggest problems you may encounter.

The cushion lever to frame mount . It's a total PITA if it is ceased as there is no room to bash/push the bolt out. It's generally a cut off and replace the cushion lever job. The clutch hubs are butter need billet one. The intake bridges on the cylinder often crack and require re welding. Depending on the abuse the tranz has had you may need a few gears as they seem to pit after a while. This seems to be the norm with suzuki gears. Lastly rear hubs can spin the bearings leaving too much clearance and a sloppy bearing. That's my observations from owning a few of that era.

I am currently finishing off a 2000 Rm 250 rebuild so here are the biggest problems you may encounter.

The cushion lever to frame mount . It's a total PITA if it is ceased as there is no room to bash/push the bolt out. It's generally a cut off and replace the cushion lever job. The clutch hubs are butter need billet one. The intake bridges on the cylinder often crack and require re welding. Depending on the abuse the tranz has had you may need a few gears as they seem to pit after a while. This seems to be the norm with suzuki gears. Lastly rear hubs can spin the bearings leaving too much clearance and a sloppy bearing. That's my observations from owning a few of that era.

image.jpg