Sign in to follow this  

toddler riding help/info

I'm thinking about getting my daughter a little pw50 for her second birthday. She rides a little power wheel quad now and is starting to get the steering down but in the house it doesn't turn sharp enough and when we go out the little dirt clots make it nearly unrideable.

Questions obviously a after is first do they make gear this small?

If so do they make neck supports that small? I feel like the helmet weight might hurt her neck or cause later problems.

The brakes are so far from the bars for her little hands how did you guys that had little ones riding this small over come this?

Are the throttle stops adjustable enough to bring it down to walking speed?

My plan is to gear her up and put training wheels on the bike with the throttle adjusted low and do lots of parking lot open field riding with her with a kill switch leash. As she gets better and builds confidence adjust the throttle stops then teach her how to ride without stabilizers. Any other advise or should I wait till she's a little bigger would love to have her racing by 4 or 5 if she likes it

I'm thinking about getting my daughter a little pw50 for her second birthday. She rides a little power wheel quad now and is starting to get the steering down but in the house it doesn't turn sharp enough and when we go out the little dirt clots make it nearly unrideable.

Questions obviously a after is first do they make gear this small?

If so do they make neck supports that small? I feel like the helmet weight might hurt her neck or cause later problems.

The brakes are so far from the bars for her little hands how did you guys that had little ones riding this small over come this?

Are the throttle stops adjustable enough to bring it down to walking speed?

My plan is to gear her up and put training wheels on the bike with the throttle adjusted low and do lots of parking lot open field riding with her with a kill switch leash. As she gets better and builds confidence adjust the throttle stops then teach her how to ride without stabilizers. Any other advise or should I wait till she's a little bigger would love to have her racing by 4 or 5 if she likes it

i struggled with the same thing... got my boy almost 4 now a stridder bike... no peddles they use their feet... he motors along.. we decided to stay away from the bike at such an early stage for his confience... what mess up may shatter then or not... anyhow... now looking into the whole bike thing again...looking at the GMAX childrens "critter" line of helmets only 2.2 pounds or 1038 ounces.... someone suggested i look at another line and felt 999 ounces was better... can't remember the name but the helmet was 350 bucks gmax are like 100 so as a parent on budget the 40 some ounces or grams or whatever it is just wast worth it... i know im getting ounces and grams screwed up but pretty hard to be 2.2 lbs... just have her wear it around for a few days to build some strength kind like the first time kids wear football helmets... good luck... have you looked at an oset electric trials bike?

No I haven't looked at that I will though. 2.2 lbs is pretty light.

I bought my daughter a crf50 at 2 and ended up waiting untill about 4 and she could reach all the controls. I started them with training wheels until she mastered the throttle and brake and there was absolutely no learning curve after taking them off. On the honda the was a throttle stop that allowed me to limmit the bike to a walking pace. They make gear for the little ones but at 2 that might be to little. It was hard to be patient but you might have wait until she is bigger.

I would recommend getting a strider bike and when they get that down a little pedal bike with no training wheels and when they get that down step up to a PW and skip the training wheels all together. I don't have kids if my own but have been very involved in helping two of my nephews learn to ride. One is 5 and on an XR 50 now and does awesome and one is 3 and almost has the pedal bike down and about to go to a PW. Anyways I don't think training wheels help and should be skipped altogether.

• Like 2

I would stay away from training wheels it will create a false sense of balance also even on a pedal bike. 

Strider bike 
then pedal bike NO training wheels 
I personally went with a mini jap quad for my son to learn throttle control and braking while spending a lot of time on the pedal bike 
he then went to a PW for a month and then to a KTM MINI ADVENTURE 
You want him on and off the PW as soon as possible to get to a bike that has some real suspension 
Buy a CHEAP USED PW as for gear look for used as for they will be growing out of it so fast. Toughen up their neck muscles. 

I found fly makes a helmet her size I was thinking a little jap quad would be better and the thumb control may be a little easier to pick up on. And doin the strider now and dirt bike later. Does any one know where I can find the weight specs on fly helmets. I'm definitely want in to do somthin better the a power wheel for off road

Screenshot_2014-04-14-16-30-14-1_zpscohc

• Like 1

We tried a strider when gma and gpa decided to buy it. I personally thought it was not worth it/gimmicky. Not only did my just 3 year old son learn it within two weeks. He was riding a pedal bike without trainers at 3 1/2. I was amazed. Picked up the pw just before his 4th bday and he has never needed trainers. A classmate of his has a crf50 with trainers and still cant ride without after 2 seasons.

He struggled with the weight of it if he went too slow around turns but does well now at almost 5. Id do as these guys suggest and start with a strider then skip trainers.

91 YZ 250

05 RMZ 250

99 PW 50

I'd agree with dbart on skipping trainers.  When we got the bike he was already riding with his feet up on the Strider, but he was scared of the Kuberg so I only put the training wheels on so that he could get used to the throttle and brakes.  If I could go back I wouldn't have used them.  My kid is able to ride his Strider or his Kuberg all day long with his feet up - but on the Kuberg he refuses to go more than 2mph and cries the whole time that he needs training wheels. 

Yea can see my daughter crying about it out of the blue she went from loving to play on the yfz when I brought her into the garage with me now out of nowhere she burst into tears if you just say motorcycle around her and she refuses to sit on it at all now. Even her little power wheels she's not havin. Idk what happened but I'm thinking if I get her somthin now it will end up sitting till she's bigger any ways.

Kids are strange sometimes snd it's not like she's old enough to tell me what's up she's barely putting short sentences together

Mine did that at one point before he was riding.  Didn't like the noise and was so bad he didn't want to even be in the garage with the bikes.  He got over it in a couple months after he started riding with me.

so any ideas with the pw50 and crf 50?  I like the idea of no gears... my son has an electric quad and says he wants a bike with a real muffler took him to yamaha today and he sat on the pw50... i think it fits him better then the crf 50... he does ride a strider and can do down small hills all day with the his feet up... but grandpa bought him a peddle bike and he's stuck on traiing wheels... so just to get him out i may have to go this route.. yamaha also builds a small 50 but more like the crf 3 speed auto with electric start... but two inches higher seat height... after he sat on the pw 50... i though maybe i should wait another year... seemed over whelmed didn't even want to sit on it... now that we are home it's all he could talk about but at dealership... my outgoing outspoken child turned shy... maybe i expect too much... i just can't wait for a riding buddy... up here my only option for a quad is a can am 90 or grizzly  both almost 300 lbs... so thinking training wheels maybe a better choice... im not building a racer just a trail rider...

Don't believe the no training wheel nonsense.  Almost nothing that a kids learns when they are that young sticks with them.  I have two boys who started at 2 1/2 & 4 on training wheels and both are now pretty fast mini-kids on 65's & 85's.  if training wheels gets them on the bike and enjoying it than go for it.  There is no hurry, though...................

Edited by Tracktor

So I picked up a little 50cc quad that will get the gas and brakes down while she learns how to roll on the strider then maybe next b day throw a crf 50 at her

Believe the nonsense. Training wheels are a crutch. If you can get away from them do it.

Training wheels teach bad habits "I can lean this way and go that way", "I don't have to put my feet down to stop", "hey look it's a bunny!", etc. and too many of us have seen a kid whiskey throttle into an immovable object that had he been on two wheels would have just fallen over. Strider or pedal-less pedal bike, pedal bike perhaps w/ training wheels, pedal bike w/o training wheels, then motorized bike, electric or gas.

Training wheels teach bad habits "I can lean this way and go that way", "I don't have to put my feet down to stop", "hey look it's a bunny!", etc. and too many of us have seen a kid whiskey throttle into an immovable object that had he been on two wheels would have just fallen over. Strider or pedal-less pedal bike, pedal bike perhaps w/ training wheels, pedal bike w/o training wheels, then motorized bike, electric or gas.

BS, nothing kids learn at this age makes much difference just like 50 racing prodigies don't necessarily make it when they get on big bikes.  Obviously the long term goal is to get them off but training wheels can allow them to learn handlebar controls separately from balance.  These kids started on training wheels & it hasn't slowed them down-

fb-caiden-edited.jpg

fb-z3 _edited.jpg

If you think it's worth the risk to have a kid scared off dirt bikes for years after a crash or perhaps the rest of his life because you stuck him on a bike a few months before he was physically ready, go for it. If you think it's worth the child needing to unlearn bad habits, go for it. Most of us however, have seen that the simple path of strider bike, pedal bike, motorized bike is highly effective and as such, we tell other dads that a kid who needs training wheels on a motorized bike, with a few rare exceptions like physical disability, is not ready for a motorized bike.

• Like 1