Sign in to follow this  

Race fuel in the new fuel injected 2014?

Just wondering if any of you are running race fuel and what kind. I dont plan to do a fully modded bike so I just plan on running a good oxygenated fuel like VP U4.4 off and on when I want a little more power. Doing a little reading on the bike I read that your not supposed to run leaded fuel according to the manufacturer. Not 100% sure if it really does matter or if they are just being cautious. I know VP sells an unleaded oxygenated fuel as well so I may go that route depending on price.

I also wondered about the injector getting gummed up if the race fuel sets in the tank too long. I typically drain the tank and carb (on a carbed bike) but wonder about any residual fuel that would be sitting in the injector and lines.

After I break mine in I plan on getting a baseline dyno run on it and then see what I get when runing the correct oxygenated fuel on the dyno.

I've been running TrackTech 111 and premium NON-ETHANOL,,,2 gallon's TT to 1 gallon premium which bring's the octane rating up to 96 (I think),anyway,the bike seem's to like it as it alway's start's on first kick,sometime's 2nd.This is on the 14 model and I'm extremely pleased how this particular motor haul's my 215 lbs. 

• Like 1

I've been running TrackTech 111 and premium NON-ETHANOL,,,2 gallon's TT to 1 gallon premium which bring's the octane rating up to 96 (I think),anyway,the bike seem's to like it as it alway's start's on first kick,sometime's 2nd.This is on the 14 model and I'm extremely pleased how this particular motor haul's my 215 lbs. 

Thanks for the info Alan. I weigh about what you do so your input helps. I have always ridden my sons 250Fs when he used to race and I felt like they had enough power to make me happy. I wont even be riding mine for another week or two. Just have a lot on my plate right now between my full time job and my personal business. Cant wait to ride this bike though. Is the gas your running oxygenated?

Thanks for the info Alan. I weigh about what you do so your input helps. I have always ridden my sons 250Fs when he used to race and I felt like they had enough power to make me happy. I wont even be riding mine for another week or two. Just have a lot on my plate right now between my full time job and my personal business. Cant wait to ride this bike though. Is the gas your running oxygenated?

I'm not sure if the gas is oxy or not,I'm leaning toward NOT but will give you a definite answer tomorrow as I have a few question's for the mechanic (awesome guy btw)  where I purchased this bike.I think you'll really enjoy this ride,,just twist the throttle and you get instant response !! also, this is my 1st 4 banger and I can honestly say,,,,,IMPRESSIVE. Glad to help.    EDIT--- I went to Tracktech's web site and it show's they are owned by Chevron/Phillip's and also appear's that TT-111 is NOT oxygenated.Is this good or bad ?

Edited by Alan48

It's not bad. A little bit of octane boost doesn't hurt I just prefer the oxygenated fuel because it adds more power to a stock bike than boosting octane.

• Like 1

It's not bad. A little bit of octane boost doesn't hurt I just prefer the oxygenated fuel because it adds more power to a stock bike than boosting octane.

Yep,I did a little research and it look's like I need to be using oxygenated fuel also.I learned something today !! Thank you Charlie. :thumbsup: I'm just an old newb. 

Yep,I did a little research and it look's like I need to be using oxygenated fuel also.I learned something today !! Thank you Charlie. :thumbsup: I'm just an old newb.

It's all good. I build MX race engines locally and am playing a little catch up with technology on the new YZF. I haven't actually had a bike of my own since 2006. My son raced until 2009 so I just rode his bikes occasionally. He's grown up and out on his own so I'm ready to hit the track and trails full time again. :)

• Like 1

why not try some VP MS103

me likey...but i dont have a 14

I will look in to that SUnruh. How much do you normally pay for it per gallon or 5 gallon?

it varies a lot.

i have a friend pick it up from the VP plant.  so i dont pay for having it shipped all over the country.

and we used to get a refund for giving the pails (ie steel 5gal bucket) back. but the epa frowned on that.

nhra events will have a VP truck there that you can also buy from that is usually less than other sources.

i think you can find a dealer from their site -> http://www.vpracingfuels.com/

• Like 1

Don't know anything about your fuel over there.

If however it is a high octane fuel with a slower burn then give the ignition some advance or your waisting your time.

• Like 1

You would probably need a new map if you ran a VP oxygenated fuel. They definitely have an effect on the air/fuel ratio. I ran C-12, leaded, in a supermoto track bike. It was cheap by race fuel standards and still too expensive. I couldn't leave it in the carb either. Even just draining, and I still had to blow out the pilot jet. It was fun stuff while the track days lasted. It's a real mess if you leave that stuff in a carb. On a friends bike, it turned everything a crystalline green coating. He bought a used race bike.

You would probably need a new map if you ran a VP oxygenated fuel. They definitely have an effect on the air/fuel ratio. I ran C-12, leaded, in a supermoto track bike. It was cheap by race fuel standards and still too expensive. I couldn't leave it in the carb either. Even just draining, and I still had to blow out the pilot jet. It was fun stuff while the track days lasted. It's a real mess if you leave that stuff in a carb. On a friends bike, it turned everything a crystalline green coating. He bought a used race bike.

I think the newer generation race fuel is better towards not gumming things up. As for mapping I am going with a Power Commander V and having the bike dyno tuned. I doubt I will go much further than this and a pipe. Maybe a mild can but as the bike is said to put out around 36.5 rear wheel HP (Dirt Rider Magazine) it won't take much more to be sufficient for me and my weight and riding level.

• Like 2