Sign in to follow this  

2005 KLX125 Clutch pull (instant engaged)

Hey All,

Just got a 05' Kawasaki KLX125L for my girlfriend to learn on. Bike is in great shape except for one thing.

The clutch engagment is super fast! within 3 mm in the middle of the lever's travel, the drivetrain goes from dis-engaged, to full engagement.

I checked the free play. These bikes only have an adjustment on the handlebars so I loosened the cable up, then brought it back to a tought adjustment, that did not change anything.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I wonder if this explanation points anyone directly to a notched basket or a failing bearing (in between crank shaft and basket) on the clutch assembly, or sticky steels. I am just not sure.

Edited by wheresbrent

There's also an inline adjustment on the cable, it's on the downtube right by the valve adjustment cap. Your clutch basket may be grooved, or your cable may just be sticky. I'd pull the cable off and run it thru the stroke a few times, and pull the clutch cover off to inspect the basket. If you PM me your email, I have a document that has all the relevant torque figures I can share with you